Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gander Mountain files Bankruptcy

20 posts in this topic

I have been in their store in Rivergate about twice and was not impressed. You look at their parking lot and then you look at Academy Sports across the highway and while Gander may have 5 or 6 cars Academy will have 25 or more. I don't think there are many stores that can compete with BPS and Cabela's and I think Gander was kind of late to the party from the get go..............jmho 

I have enjoyed their clothing line.  Very good stuff at fair prices.  Tackle Warehouse is licking their chops . . .

+1 on their clothes. Occasionally a good ammo deal or 2.

There is a Gander less than five minutes from my house. When it first open it was awesome, the store manager was a fisherman, a musky guide from Wisconsin. The fishing department was well stocked and sold things like jigs, lead weights and some plastics in bulk. Most of the part time help were fisherman so it was a good place to hang out sometimes. The gun department was also large and ran by a retired local cop and avid duck hunter. Need a battery, accessory, oil from the boat they had it. Good amount of outdoor clothing also. They even had a seperate space with it's own entrance for live bait. Their prices weren't bad at all. Well fast forward to about five years ago the manager left and they brought someone else in and the whole store changed, and not for the good. Fishing department is about a third of size it was, as too the gun shop. Very limited boat supplies. They do had a ton of clothes, boots, shoes, candy and snacks. They don't have anyone that knows anything about the fishing gear they do sell and if something doesn't have a price tag on it good luck with that. They also closed the live bait space too.

Edited by Whopper

12 hours ago, Whopper said:

There is a Gander less than five minutes from my house. When it first open it was awesome, the store manager was a fisherman, a musky guide from Wisconsin. The fishing department was well stocked and sold things like jigs, lead weights and some plastics in bulk. Most of the part time help were fisherman so it was a good place to hang out sometimes. The gun department was also large and ran by a retired local cop and avid duck hunter. Need a battery, accessory, oil from the boat they had it. Good amount of outdoor clothing also. They even had a seperate space with it's own entrance for live bait. Their prices weren't bad at all. Well fast forward to about five years ago the manager left and they brought someone else in and the whole store changed, and not for the good. Fishing department is about a third of size it was, as too the gun shop. Very limited boat supplies. They do had a ton of clothes, boots, shoes, candy and snacks. They don't have anyone that knows anything about the fishing gear they do sell and if something doesn't have a price tag on it good luck with that. They also closed the live bait space too.

We had a Walmart Store in Hermitage that was operated like you mention that Gander was when it first opened. When you walked into the Sporting goods department you knew imediately that the manager and employees in there knew what they where doing and sure nuff alll of the employees in the department hunted or fished or did both. It lasted about 3 or 4 years and the bubble bursted and away it all went and now it's about 1/4 the size it was and caters to the weekend Panfish warriors and last time in they had done away with the guns all together.  

Sports authority in Flordia when it first opened you spend a couple hours easy as time went on fishing department got worse and worse. Academy is going down the same path we went to both stores when they opened in Knoxville and Chattanooga both stuffed to gills with tackle now it's the same stuff ****'s Sporting goods in Maryville is about the same.

Edited by snj60

Drove past GM today at turkey creek didn't see any signs.

Went to GM Saturday at turkey creek got a 15% coupon when you walk thru the door prices come down a little but nobody is buying.

I heard on the news GM was closing some stores and Camping world was going to buy GM and that not all stores would not survive will see what happenings.

I got a text msg last nite telling me closing discounts would begin this coming MON (8 May).  Folks from all over were included in that so it's not just a local rumor.

Also heard on the news if you have GM gift cards there only good until May 18.

So, the GM web site says all stores closing now (a/o this afternoon around 1400).  No merchandise at all available on line.  You have to go to the stores.

I went there today..... Travesty.  No wonder they are going out of business.  Prices even with Sales are higher than other places.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/05/07/gander-mountain-closing-not-so-fast-says-new-owner-marcus-lemonis/101402750/

Here's a couple high points of the article for those that can't open the link:

"So Gander Mountain filed bankruptcy as you know, and about 10 days ago I bought all of the assets, all of the intellectual property, all of the trademarks, all of the leases and the Overton's business. Except for the fact that I did not buy, intentionally, the inventory that's in the stores," Lemonis told IndyStar Sunday morning. "A liquidator bought the inventory that's in the stores and they have the right to sell that inventory down and out as if it's going away. But the confusing message is whether a store is staying open or not. And ultimately we control the leases ... every single property. And my intention is to keep at least 70 open."

"We want to help the liquidators sell their inventory. We don't want to be disruptive to that, but we also don't want employees thinking that they're all losing their jobs. That's why I've been so active is because, think about it. If you have a rent payment, a car payment, a tuition payment ... you need to know what the heck is happening," Lemonis said. "I don't want to disrupt what the liquidators are trying to do, but I am definitely going to protect my people at all costs. No matter what."

Lemonis said he is working on repurchasing inventory, and surviving stores will be restocked and reopened. Stores that experience temporary closures to be restocked should be open by late summer or early fall.

10 hours ago, whj812 said:

I went there today..... Travesty.  No wonder they are going out of business.  Prices even with Sales are higher than other places.

funny you should mention that...

I was talking to one of our company customers this afternoon in Waco Texas, conversation ended up on the subject of fishing. He was happy they had just got a Cabela's in the area and he was so excited about it because before that all they had was a Gander Mountain and the prices in there were just ridiculous. I told him they were going out of business nationwide and he just said he wasn't surprised. 

22 hours ago, whj812 said:

Higher than giraffe *****

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

Higher than giraffe *****

Lol @ Steve.

I went to GM at turkey creek today sign out front said up to 40 % off still looking fore that everything fishing is 10-15 % off boots are 20-30 % if you like those brands you might be able to do alright.

The wife wanted to go to turkey creek today so I stopped by GM the store has the same inventory as the last I was there prices are still high I guess they know what there doing.