Sign in to follow this  
fisherman1488

Kayak purchase?

Help if u would pleez. I am getting prepared to buy a fishing kayak, does anyone have a suggestion on a good, stable, well equipped kayak in the $500 range? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx

I can let you try it on Douglas from the dam if you want so you get the feel. I also have a wilderness systems tarpon 100. It's not set up for fishing but I've fished from it.

Hey Fox I've been thinking about a kayak too but I know nothing about them. How stable is the one you posted the link to? I want one but I don't want something I'm always worried about turning over. I'm about 6' 215 and I was wondering how comfortable yours is. One other thing, how hard would it be to mount a depthfinder on it and run it off of a motorcycle battery? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by bowoodsgreen

It's great. I'm 6'3 or 6'4 and about 300 pounds. Same offer if you want to try it. If my balance was better I could stand up in it. They make some self battery FF but it would hold a battery easily.

Edited by SilverFox

The Perception Sport Caster Angler Kayak is a good choice, it is laid out a lot like my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. I love my Tarpon, no issues at all with it wanting to turn over. Kayaks are a lot more stable than most people think. I can cram a ton of gear in my 12' boat, both inside and on top. I wouldn't go any longer than 12' if you plan to hit the river much. Longer boats are harder to turn, and that comes into play in the rapids/riffles. Lot easier to dodge rocks with a 10' boat, I have a 9.5' Perception Sit in kayak and it will turn on a dime with little effort. You may want to keep an eye out for a nice used kayak, some people just buy them and then sell them after one or two uses.

I have a depth finder with GPS on my yack and it was no problem to install and has been working good for a long time now. I run it off a 9 amp/hour battery that weighs 5 lbs, same battery that is in a lot of battery backups for computers. I got mine at batteries plus for about $30. I keep it in the front hatch and when it needs charged I hook it up to my battery charger on 2 amps. It will last for quite a few trips before needing charged. I would recommend a depth finder with GPS. I had one without for a while, but my new one is the way to go. Don’t need a very fancy one just something with GPS. Then you will know where you are on a map, how fast you are moving at all times, know how deep it is under you, you can see structure, you can tell what type of bottom you are fishing, look for bait fish, just lots of good uses for a depth finder. Some people with kayaks disagree with the extra hassle of needing the battery, but I have no problems with mine and find it very useful.

P6090019.jpg

P1050950.jpg

P1050939.jpg

P9020579.jpg

Edited by SouthernSam

I have two, a Native Manta Ray 14 and a Old Town 119. I love them both but the 119 is my favorite. I just bought the 119 at ****'s a few weeks ago. I can stand up in it and you can really pack it as well. My crate fits perfect behind the seat. It is a great river boat, and it is 11 feet 9 inches long. I'd suggest it with high regards.

I've never fished or paddled out of one of the sit in yaks. Just not my style. The sit on top models are the way to go. You can strap everything down and believe it or not, it's easy to reach it all. I can turn sideways and fish in mine as big as I am. I did a lot more fishing out of them before I hurt my back last year... I've only been out once in it this year on the French Broad. There are several forums for kayak fishing also. You can get a run down on about any model on them. It's a good way to get the wife and family into fishing. My wife loves to fish from the yak. She uses the 10 foot Wilderness Tarpon 100. Like SS said, anything over 12 or 13 foot is a little harder to turn in moving water... but it's a faster ride. We use to do a lot of 10 mile trips back home in SC on the river. Pack you a lunch and make a day of it.

On the lake they actually take a wake from a boat pretty well also. I've fished Norris and Douglas from the yak. I turn into them with the nose to make it a little easier but I've yet to turn one over. I'm sure the day is coming... I've been in some pretty bad stuff in SC.

Thanx so much 2 everyone. You guys make me excited just thinking about my upcoming purchase. Thanx 4 the tryout offer SilverFox. I am only 5'7" 150 soaking wet. I have been saving 4 awhile and commited to a purchase at the first of July. I will continue 2 let yall know how its goin. Watch for upcoming fishin reports from fisherman1488! Thanx again for your time and condsideration:)