Sign in to follow this  
BassinHomer

Depth Finder Mod for the Yak!

Thinking of doing a Mod like this for my Yak, I like the swing arm idea for the transducer and I really think that's the ticket for me becuase you're not supposed to block the sides of a side imaging finder so it would be hard to do a trough hull. Anyhow the only thing I don't like about it is the distance to the unit head, I'd like the screen closer for easy viewing so I'm gonna have to figure something out with that.

I don't like it. One trip with a good fish getting tangled and you will be ready to throw it away. Put the transducer at the back of the yak out the way. I'm no pro, by anyones standard but I'll help you if I can. I think you're pretty close to me. I live between the 402 and 407 off I40. Shoot me a pm if you think I can help with ideas or mounting.

The screen will be plenty close enough unless you have bad vision. The bow units on most boats are 6 feet from you while standing anyways. With a yak, the more room you have in front for fishing, the better.

Great points Fox,The only problem I have with mounting the Ducer on the bottom/back is that the manual reccomends the Transducer be below the bottom of the boat which presents a problem when launching as unless I'm launching from a dock there is a good chance I'll be scrapping bottom when launching, but I never even thought about a fish getting tangled, which totally makes sense....hmmm :scratch:

Put it on a PVC mount and push it down after you launch and are clear of the bottom... Or aluminum mount. The PVC would bend and give you some forgiveness.

I think that set up would work, but I don't really like it. Too much stuff in your way up front. I usually have 3 rods laying around up front and all that stuff would get in my way. I think I would rip that side mount transducer off after a few river runs as well. Things happen fast out on the river and there could easily be a time you don't lift it up in time and it gets bent or ripped off. Plus you are beating and banging on rocks and trees and I can see that thing getting in the way. It would probably work better in the lake where you don't have the shallow water to deal with. I have never seen anyone with down/side scan on a yak, but I would think the back would be the best place for the transducer. I hope you can figure something out that will work for you. You may want to mount your head unit to a Scotty mount. They make all sorts of arms and extensions that you could use to place the head unit closer to you. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

The thing with downscan on my lowrance is I don't think it reads as well when your not moving over 2 or 3. Mine seems to read best at 5 to 7 mph. I will probably end up changing out my downscan on the bow to a 2 d unit.

I think that set up would work, but I don't really like it. Too much stuff in your way up front. I usually have 3 rods laying around up front and all that stuff would get in my way. I think I would rip that side mount transducer off after a few river runs as well. Things happen fast out on the river and there could easily be a time you don't lift it up in time and it gets bent or ripped off. Plus you are beating and banging on rocks and trees and I can see that thing getting in the way. It would probably work better in the lake where you don't have the shallow water to deal with. I have never seen anyone with down/side scan on a yak, but I would think the back would be the best place for the transducer. I hope you can figure something out that will work for you. You may want to mount your head unit to a Scotty mount. They make all sorts of arms and extensions that you could use to place the head unit closer to you. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

The thing with downscan on my lowrance is I don't think it reads as well when your not moving over 2 or 3. Mine seems to read best at 5 to 7 mph. I will probably end up changing out my downscan on the bow to a 2 d unit.

Yeah I ran into another yak basser today as I was leaving, he had his transducer mounted on the back/rear, I think that'll work not that I've seen in it action