brownfish03

Kayak needed for deserving young man

Guys, over the last couple of years I have befriended a young man in my town that has had about as hard of a life as you can imagine to be 16. His mother is a friend of my wife and the whole family has fallen on some pretty hard times. Without going into too much detail, they have lost their home as of yesterday and had to move back into her mothers house (which is also a bad situation due to illness). Anyways, Ive gotten the boy into fishing...and he really enjoys it. Where they are living is very close to the Holston river and the young man is wanting a kayak for Christmas. Having two very younger sisters, age 4 and 6, he has been giving what money he can earn to his mother for his sisters Christmas gifts. I know its a long shot, but I wanted to ask if anybody on here might have or know of a decent used kayak that we could get this kid set up in? I myself dont have the money to buy one for him but, I thought Id at least ask to see if any of you guys might know of one not being used that needs a good home? I know its a long shot but, you just never know whats out there until you ask. This boy is a great kid that could easily turn down the wrong path given what he has seen in his very young life and Id just like to see him have a positive outlet instead of a negative one. Feel free to PM me or reply here if you can or know of anybody that might help this kid out.

Dang man I wished I could help, I wonder if we might be able to get enough donations up to help buy this kid a yak? You can get a decent one from Academy for $300.00-$400.00 dang I'd like to help out with this if I could.

If I were a rich man, Id just buy him a new one...but, I cant swing that kind of money with my wife not working while our children are little. I was thinking somebody might know of a good used one or one nobody is using that is collecting dust and needs a good home.....3-4 hundred is a lot of money!!!! Just keep an eye out for one for sale and maybe with a few donations we could make it happen?

I'm in for the entry fee to an imaginary TnBass Fishing tournament. If you would post this in the tournament forum, we may be surprised at the number of entries. We,at TnDeer.com, have taken many causes in the past, and have had overwhelming response. I know that the season requires many to accept the struggle of providing for their own but in a case like this, each will be able to boast of "big bass". Also, if we have enough response, someone may just be able to convince a "corporate sponsor" to help with something in the line of used gear and terminal tackle. I'll take that on should we have a successful response. Scott

I think thats a great idea...I just wish I knew something...anything about a fishing kayak...lol. If I knew of one for sale, Id know exactly how much funds were needed. I looked on craigs list earlier and only saw one "fishing" style kayak and they wanted like 500 for it. I was hoping to find something in the 1-200 dollar range. Just something the boy could get some usage out of. I know he would be tickled to death to have one and dosent expect to get anything for Christmas. Anybody else have any ideas?

You can fish out of about any kayak, although those super small white water models would not be ideal. Most yak fishermen prefer SOT (sit on top) style kayaks, but the old sit in style will work as well. I started out with a 9.5' Swifty sit inside style from Dicks (cost around $300 new), but now I have upgraded to a 12' Tarpon 120 SOT (cost around $900 new). A fella here at work got one of the Swifty kayaks on craigsliist last year for $150 with paddle, life vest and spray skirt. There are deals out there, just got to keep an eye out and hope one pops up before Christmas.

You know way more about them than I do Sam! Do me a favor and keep an eye out for a good deal on one you could fish out of. Id totally trust your judgement!

There are 2 on Eastman Classifieds, one for $190 with extras and one for $400. Why don't we pick one out and start kicking in some cash for the kid? I'm in for a donation.

Good find JoeP! Here is the link for the $190 kayak (make reasonable offer) http://theeclassifieds.com/Classifieds/Detail/a190afb5-bed7-4475-ba99-a093001f9bee

Sam, is this kayak fishable? The seller stated that their son is selling this to get a fishing kayak? Price is good and could probably get it cheaper...but, I want to make sure the one he gets he can fish out of. Thats the whole reason for getting one to begin with.

Brownfish,

That is a whitewater style kayak, but could work for a fishing yak too. It's similar to my old Swifty, which is 9.5'. My Swifty wasn't a fishing kayak at all, but with a little PVC and some bungee cord I made it one.

swifty8-7-12002.jpg

swifty8-7-12003.jpg

I had more rod holders on it, but robbed all the good stuff off to put on my new Yak. I fished out of this thing for over 2 years before I got my SOT.

I think you could do the same with the Dagger. Biggest difference is the weight rating. My Swifty is rated for 300 lbs, and the best I can tell from my Google search the Dagger can only hold 190-200 lbs. They are made more for playing in whitewater and not for hauling fishing gear. If the boy is a lightweight and doesn't take a ton of gear he could probably get buy with it. That doesn't seem like all that bad of a deal for what you get with it. Especially if you can talk them down some more.

Plus the reviews for that Dagger seem pretty good, seems like everyone says its a stable boat and easy to paddle. But I couldn't find anything out there on the web about anyone fishing out of one.

Edited by SouthernSam

He is a skinny kid...kinda tall but skinny...Id guess about 130lbs. I thought the same thing about the price and the added gear....any other opinions?

My bottom line is this: I honestly dont even have the money to buy the kayak with and take donations with Christmas coming up. Is there anybody willing to front the boat and take donations towards the cause. Im not trying to discuss my finances but, Im strapped right now and have been giving plasma to make Christmas happen for my kids. I want to donate towards this cause but can only afford to put in around 25 bucks...others have pledged donations but, Im not sure if we can generate enough to make this happen. I cant afford to buy the boat and be stuck with the bill. Sounds harsh, but, it is what it is....

I wish I could help but I am in a financial struggle myself right now due to workers comp. If something turns around in time I will be glad to help out..

I seen a nice one, it looks new on craigslist in clinton tn. It says kayak Christmas gift for the title.. May be able to talk him down some when you tell him the cause.

Dale you have a PM. If everybody who read this thread would throw in $10, it wouldn't be an issue. It tis the Season of giving, & $10 towards a good cause isn't gonna break you. I challenge anybody who owns/ or has owned a Bullet to throw in a $10 for a good cause.

Edited by BulletDeuce

Ok guys, I just called the guy who has the yak for sale. I told him about the cause and he agreed to lower the cost to 175.00 and said he would even throw in a dry lock box with the yak which would add another 15 dollars in value. This is the most complete, best setup I could find on the net and honestly feel its a pretty good deal considering all the needed equipment is thrown in. The guy selling the Yak is part of the 3B Outdoors team and was very willing to help with this cause. The money he knocked off the price is his donation for the cause and basically has a lot more money in this Yak than he is selling it for. So, thank Bucky with 3B Outdoors for his help!!! Now, with the price set, can we get enough money to make this happen? Donations pledges are coming in! If you decide to donate, please post your pledge in this thread so we can keep a running total of the money we need to buy this thing. Im in for 25$ So, I think we're up to $65 bucks.....If you can spare anything to give that would be great! and if not, its totally understandable during these tough times we live in! Ill pm my address to everybody who pledges a donation. Please try and send out your donation ASAP so I can go ahead and pay the man for the Yak. Thanks and God Bless! Dale

I'm in for $20.00 Ya'll help me with the troops so only fair that I help another very worthy cause and I have your address Dale...... :thumbsup2:

I was just talking to Jill and now she is in for another $20, Dale I will send you a check for $40 tomorrow from me and Jill!

Edited by SouthernSam