whj812

Cleaning, Greasing and Oiling Reels

Looking for different and better ways of cleaning my reels. I typically use WD40 bathe the reel and clean well with a soft toothbrush. Wipe all old dirt and grease out using a cloth. Re-Pack the gears etc with Abu Garcia Silicone Base grease. I then will use Reel Butter oil on the bearings and a slight grease oil mixture on the gear bar thing(dont know the name of it) under the line guide on the baitcasting reel.

I havent had any problems, just seeing what everyones favorite methods are.

i take ours completely apart...soak all parts in Simple Green, clean with a toothbrush reassemble and use Hot Sauce on the gears ad bearings...rem. Gears get Grease...Berrings get Oil...

I use Hot Sauce also.....but Scott Castleberry showed me the stuff !!!! It's called Rocket Fuel, put it on bearings only and it will increase casting distance and smoothen up retrieve. GOOD stuff here guys !!!!

i agree from what i have read its good but it doesn't last as long..have to re-oil more often and its a little costly too

I use Rocket Fuel also and yea you have to apply it more often and that is why I have two bottles of it in my boat. I have actually had to stop and add some to bearings while fishing but it does give ya and extra 10 to 15 yards of casting distance. I use Shimano Grease on gears and Fluid Film on cases for rain protection. I also have the small tubes of reel oil that came with the reels in the boxes when I bought them. That will be my end of the month project. Only have 18 reels to do and then Son- in-law gets his lesson on reel maintainance. He thinks I'm gonna do his too. He is in for rude awakening........... :lol::lol::applause:

rather not take time out while i am fishing to add oil to my reels :unsure: ....to much hassle to me.its Hot Sause for me.

Looking for different and better ways of cleaning my reels. I typically use WD40 bathe the reel and clean well with a soft toothbrush. Wipe all old dirt and grease out using a cloth. Re-Pack the gears etc with Abu Garcia Silicone Base grease. I then will use Reel Butter oil on the bearings and a slight grease oil mixture on the gear bar thing(dont know the name of it) under the line guide on the baitcasting reel.

I havent had any problems, just seeing what everyones favorite methods are.

The gear bar is called the worm gear, I'm a hot sauce man too, I need to get mine cleaned up as well. :rolleyes:

I guess Hot Sauce must be a mountain thingy cause I ain't never seen it around here in stores............. :scratch::scratch::scratch:

what store or stores sell Rocket Fuel :scratch:

I use the Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Grease and oil. It has made a major diffrence in my reels after using the cheaper stuff in the past.

Anyone ever attempted to use White Lithium Grease in their reels?

i am sure it will work...but some type of reel lube would be better... :2cents:

i am sure it will work...but some type of reel lube would be better... :2cents:

Was kinda wondering about it. Seems like some slick stuff. I know some surfcast people were using it in Hawaii when I was there.

Been using hot sauce for years now. Every year I tear the reels down and clean them up. I like the hot sauce so well that even when I buy a brand new reel I tear it down and clean out the factory grease and hot sauce them before I ever load line on the reel.

i do the same thing...it makes a difference...it gets all the heave factory oil & grease out and the good stuff in...

I'm with the rest of you guys, Hot Sauce oil and grease, I've been using it since 2002 and have never looked back!

Hot Sauce here also. I usually oil every other trip and completely tear down twice a year.

i have had people (vetran fishermen) ask me why their Curado's are rough...don't cast like it should...i ask how often they serviced their reels..and you would be amazed at how many say "never" i have been using it for 6 or 7 years and have never done anythig to them :wacko::wacko:

Been using abu garcia oil and grease. However was recently advised to use some hot sauce. Tore one reel down and added hot sauce. Atleast 10 more yards on casting and much much smoother. I'll use hot sauce from now on.

Any of ya'll ever heard of a product called Fluid Film. I have had several folks tell me it is the best stuff they ever used for reels and firearms. I use it for putting on reel covers and on the other pieces of my guns and wood stocks. stuff has been around since 1943 so it must have something going for it besides what I use it for. I quit using Rocket Fuel on my reels. I had to have 3 bearings replaced on my Chronarchs this year and I was told that Rocket Fuel does allow your reels to be free and cast farther but it is a silcone base and has a wearing factor involved in it. That is why it is a short term fix and maybe use it is emergency but not recomended for regular use. I'm planning on sending my reels out this year and get them serviced. Not gonna do them myself this year.

I have a question. Do I need to do anything to clean the old oil or grease out of my spool bearings before I put Hot Sauce in them? The bearings in my Okuma reels are like a sealed bearing with a metal seal covering the bearing rollers and I was wondering if I should soak them in something to get the old oil or grease out.