Sign in to follow this  
whj812

Fishing Rod Maintenance

Again, Looking for some suggestions and such here. This is my method, wipe all excess dirt and grime off using an semi oily cloth. Use a toothbrush around the line guides freeing up any packed lake grime etc from the guides. I then will wipe off all extra dirt. Then use "behold" cheap furniture polish lightly spray a clean cloth and polish the rod.

Geesh I can honestly say I have never cleaned any of my rods before :blush:

I have cleaned guides before and reels are a hole different story

Geesh I can honestly say I have never cleaned any of my rods before :blush:

I have cleaned guides before and reels are a hole different story

Bout twice a year for me...... spring and fall. I fish ALOOOOOOT they get pretty nasty sometimes!

Bout twice a year for me...... spring and fall. I fish ALOOOOOOT they get pretty nasty sometimes!

The first time I came down for a float with MJ, Steve and the gang they looked at my rods and told me I had to clean them :rolleyes: one of them still had scales on it from perch fishing :lol:

The first time I came down for a float with MJ, Steve and the gang they looked at my rods and told me I had to clean them :rolleyes: one of them still had scales on it from perch fishing :lol:

Ahhh, that just adds character Phil! :headbang:

Ahhh, that just adds character Phil! :headbang:

Phil said his rods had so much characterr that they had a perrsonality iof their own :unsure:

Phil said his rods had so much characterr that they had a perrsonality iof their own :unsure:

I just came in from the garage and was looking at all my rods :o . My dad is right "how many rods does one need?" :lol: The only ones that are in really good condition as far as being clean are my musky rods, that's because they haven't caught enough fish.

I did however clean two of my walleye sticks, my wife thinks I've lost my mind :rolleyes:<_<

i can hear the RLG now...Phil have you lost what little bit of mind you had...i sweare one more trip to Tn and i will have you comitted. :headbang: phil say...yes dear :unsure:

I haven't done it in a few years but I used to take all my reels off the rods and clean them down with a damp cloth. Once that dried I'd put a coat of car wax on them all. Once I got them all coated I'd start with the 1st one and start polishing it off. It actually done a really good job on them and I need to get mine done this year very soon.

You can also take a wet dish rag, load it up with DAWN dish soap and (I know I'm gonna catch flack for this but) rub the cork down then rinse. You'll have a new looking handle.

I took all the rods that had cork handles and covered them with tennis racket grip tape. Its a whole lot cheaper than rod wrap and works just as good.

Never cleaned a rod yet.... Guess I btter take a look at them.

this is not cleaning but wipe down the inside of your guide seats with a cotton ball and see if you have any rough edges or burrs that could damage your line.

I can honestly say I have never cleaned a rod... and don't plan on it unless it's with a waterhose or a swim in the lake. I take care of my stuff but I just can't see me washing one.

I noticed some spider webs and a spider on 4 of mine laying the boat when I took the charger off about an hour ago. If he makes it to the lake tonight he is going for a swim. I haven't wet a line but once since I got out the hospital... it's been too long.