Sign in to follow this  
whj812

Replacing Hooks and split rings on Crankbaits

Ive been inspecting and cleaning up crankbaits all evening getting ready for the fishing to pick up! :headbang: :headbang: Now is a good time to start cleaning up and inspecting all your stuff. Here is some stripped down cranks that Ive been working on, on top of my highspeed mousepad that my best friend had made for me :)

2010-03-09231956.jpg

You can get split ring pliers from Jannsnetcarft.com or the walmart fishing section, those things work miracles on you cranks and save your fingetips too.

i bought me a set of these Hemostat Split Ring Plies the last time i ordered from Jann's. i haven't tried them yet but they look like they will get the job done....

Split Ring Hemostat

Nows the time to be on the water the bite is getting better every day. My cranks gets used all winter and never get cleaned. :potstir:

:wavesmile: Steve................... :moon::lol:

:wavesmile: Steve................... :moon::lol:

A good friend of mine gave me an old pair of Split ring pliers! Alot better than tearing your fingers up and stabbing them with the split rings!

I have a set of cobra split ring pliers that work so well you don't mind changing out rings and hooks, 20 dollars seemed like a lot for split ring pliers at the time but the time it saves me is more than worth it.

What types of hooks do you guys like to use? Replaced the Split rings with eagle claw ones from Wally world and the hooks are getting Gammys. Man those things are a little pricy... got some size 6 and size 4. Those VMC hooks look awesome, but they were out of the sizes that I wanted.

I use gammies most of the time because of availability. I get the Owner ST-46 and ST-36 hooks in bulk and use them in tournaments. They are pricey but are the best crank trebles I have found. I use a red EWG Mustad or Gammie in the front of rattlebaits and an ST-46 on the back to nab swipers.

Nows the time to be on the water the bite is getting better every day. My cranks gets used all winter and never get cleaned. :potstir:

+1. :headbang: One little note, when you get done fishing a particular crank do NOT put it back in your box. Let it hang out somewhere in your boat to completely dry off..........then you'll never have to replace rusted hooks or rings. ;)

+1. :headbang: One little note, when you get done fishing a particular crank do NOT put it back in your box. Let it hang out somewhere in your boat to completely dry off..........then you'll never have to replace rusted hooks or rings. wink.gif

the way I dry off my lures......I let out about 6 feet of line and then "helicopter" the lure over my head...the fast moving air dries the lures out in just a few seconds......

Edited by skeeterfisher

+1. :headbang: One little note, when you get done fishing a particular crank do NOT put it back in your box. Let it hang out somewhere in your boat to completely dry off..........then you'll never have to replace rusted hooks or rings. wink.gif

I always leave about 6-7ft of line out and helicopter my lures around my head an number of times...this dries any lure and can be stowed away immediately...I did this one time while I was fishing with Bret Hite in an FLW tournament.....he looked back with a quizzed look on his face....didn't know what I was doing...I told him.....a few minutes later I heard the whirl whirl whirl sound coming from the front of the boat.....I guess he liked my drying method.....

I always leave about 6-7ft of line out and helicopter my lures around my head an number of times...this dries any lure and can be stowed away immediately...I did this one time while I was fishing with Bret Hite in an FLW tournament.....he looked back with a quizzed look on his face....didn't know what I was doing...I told him.....a few minutes later I heard the whirl whirl whirl sound coming from the front of the boat.....I guess he liked my drying method.....

Thats a very cool story ....... Thanks for sharing .