Sign in to follow this  
mrgimpy

Are these good kayaks?

So ****'s is selling a couple kayaks for around $200. Wal-Mart has one for around $213 online. I have seen some from Sevylor did around $150. So my question is are these decent kayaks for beginners? I'm on a budget and also looking for something easy to use due to a disability. I need stability. I can really only afford $200. I don't know what to get. I'm an amputee so my height didn't factor in, but I weigh around 240. Any help would be great!

Be cautious about some of those cheaper kayaks.  Having a yak that isn't right for you could totally turn you away from kayak fishing, while finding the right one could get you hooked on yak fishing.  One big thing to look at is the weight rating on the kayaks.  Some of the cheaper kayaks are rated for 200 - 275 lbs.  If you weigh 240 you would swamp a kayak rated for 200 lbs.  It would probably still float you around, but the ride would be horrible.  An overloaded kayak is not stable and very hard to maneuver without tipping.  I have seen this first hand with my starter boat, which was a 9.5' sit inside kayak rated for 250 lbs.  It did great with me, weighing only around 170 lbs, felt stable and was easy to paddle without feeling like I was going to tip over.  But when I let a friend use that boat that weighed around 240 lbs he sat way lower in the water and he rolled the boat several times that day.  You could tell he was having trouble with the stability of the yak, it was just maxed out on weight with him and his gear.  I have now upgraded to a 12' sit on top yak rated for 350 lbs which holds me and all my gear just great.  I would recommend a sit on top style kayak for fishing.  They are much easier to get in and out of than a sit in style, and you have way more maneuverability in a sit on top.  

Keep an eye out on craigslist for used kayaks, sometimes there are some real good deals out there.  The good ones usually go fast though, so look often.

If you ever want to give yak fishing a try sometime give me a yell and we can try and hook up.  I have access to a few yaks.

• Like 1

Be cautious about some of those cheaper kayaks.  Having a yak that isn't right for you could totally turn you away from kayak fishing, while finding the right one could get you hooked on yak fishing.  One big thing to look at is the weight rating on the kayaks.  Some of the cheaper kayaks are rated for 200 - 275 lbs.  If you weigh 240 you would swamp a kayak rated for 200 lbs.  It would probably still float you around, but the ride would be horrible.  An overloaded kayak is not stable and very hard to maneuver without tipping.  I have seen this first hand with my starter boat, which was a 9.5' sit inside kayak rated for 250 lbs.  It did great with me, weighing only around 170 lbs, felt stable and was easy to paddle without feeling like I was going to tip over.  But when I let a friend use that boat that weighed around 240 lbs he sat way lower in the water and he rolled the boat several times that day.  You could tell he was having trouble with the stability of the yak, it was just maxed out on weight with him and his gear.  I have now upgraded to a 12' sit on top yak rated for 350 lbs which holds me and all my gear just great.  I would recommend a sit on top style kayak for fishing.  They are much easier to get in and out of than a sit in style, and you have way more maneuverability in a sit on top.  

Keep an eye out on craigslist for used kayaks, sometimes there are some real good deals out there.  The good ones usually go fast though, so look often.

If you ever want to give yak fishing a try sometime give me a yell and we can try and hook up.  I have access to a few yaks.

I would listen to Sam cause he is a pro at this . Im sure it would also be cheaper to buy the right yak first instead of just the cheapest .
  • Like 1

Here was my starter kayak.  A 9.5' Perception Swifty from Dick's Sporting Goods, cost around $350 at the time.  I still have this yak and keep it around so I can take people out every now and then.

swifty8-7-12001.jpg

This is my current yak.  A 12' Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 from Mahoney's in Johnson City, cost me around $900 at the time.  This boat has been awesome!  This is an older picture, but it shows you that this boat can take some serious weight and still be stable.

P9020579.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! I want o get off the bank and in the tank to catch some bass! I'm on a tight budget, so it may be awhile.

When searching for kayaks I ran into this Feel Free Kayak dealer in Bluff City area. Great guy. Below cost and he may have a slightly used one for sale. He saved me $200 on mine. His name is John Scott, he owns White Fork Ranch, and his number is 423-416-2072. Take your time, borrow one and use it a few times fishing.