Sign in to follow this  
RobMaz

Where to buy?

I want to check out the WS Tarpon 120. I'm in Elizabethton. Mahoneys has a very limited supply of yaks.

I know I can order it but I want to check it out first. Any recommendations? Thanks

Mahoney's is where I purchased my Tarpon 120 back in 2009.  They are nice yaks, still use mine all the time.  If you are interested in a new yak I would also check out the Wilderness Systems Ride 115 (or Ride 115X), and also check out the Jackson Coosa (or Coosa HD).  Willderness also just came out with a new ATAK, it's a 14' model though (too big for my needs).  I own a 2009 Tarpon 120 and a 2013 Ride 115.  We could try and meet up sometime and I could let you check them out and maybe give them a test drive.

I fish out of my Tarpon 120 quite a bit in the river.  It's a good river boat, but if I was looking at new models the Jackson Coosa would have to be on my list.  I have several buddies that fish out of the Coosa in the river and they love it.  It's a very good river platform and is stable enough to stand and fish going down the river.

I hear ya.  I wish there was a shop close by that had all of them to test out.  The Coosa HD looks sweet, not cheap though.

Have you went to Mahoney's yet?  I know they are selling both Jackson and Wilderness Systems now.  I haven't been over there in months though, so don't know what they have in stock. Mahoney's used to rent boats by the day so you could take them out and test them before you buy, not sure if they still do or not.

Wally's Sporting Goods also sells Jackson Kayaks now.  Here is their info: 1376 WADLOW GAP HWY,GATE CITY, VA 24251,276-225-0000

No I haven't been to Mahoney's yet.  That's where I got my Ride 135.  I've been checking out all the vids and reviews for the Tarpon 120 and the Jacksons.  I like the Cruise 12 a lot.  I really just want a stripped down river boat.  Carry 2 rods and a plano box.  The Ride is rigged for the lakes, when I paddled up river at the Kingsport spot it was really tough for me.  The guy in the Tarpon 120 had a much easier time.

I'll go to Mahoney's this weekend.

P.S.  I'm available as a float partner anytime.  Got a Silverado so transport is easy.

I have ridden a coosa down the big pigeon in Newport and they are awesome. It was like I never really had to paddle. At first I was pointing the bow into the V's and going downstream properly like I would in any boat but I quickly realized I could go down shoals willy nilly and the boat is so stable it didn't matter. It was like riding a barge that hardly ever hit the bottom. That being said I sure don't own one at the price but they are high quality for sure

If you can't find a local dealer to demo, you might want to consider Appomattox.  About 4 hours away and I can't think of a brand that they don't carry.  They have huge demo days.  Not only are they the largest dealer on the east coast but their staff are very well versed in kayak fishing.  I have bought several kayaks, and lots of gear from them.  Paddleva dot com

I picked up the Tarpon 120 at Mahoney's.  It's sweet but I think my front hatch is leaking, had water inside after the rain. 

Congratulations on the new boat! May want to check the gasket on the front hatch, mine came loose once and I had to glue it back in correctly.

No leak!  There were two impressions on the hatch seal.  I must have closed the front hatch with the string that's attached to the hatch out of place.  I let it sit in the sun and the seal seemed to expand to original form.  Ready to rock.