Sign in to follow this  
423fishin

Livewell

Alright fellow kayakers I need some help with designing a livewell for my kayak I've got some plans comin up in 2 months that requires me to keep 5 fish Alive ;) if anybody has any ideas please throw them my way.

A lot of guys that kayak fish or fish tourneys out of float tubes use a large nylon net bag that hangs over into the water.

I think that's what my cousin uses on his kayak. He takes his fish to the table usually.

A lot of guys that kayak fish or fish tourneys out of float tubes use a large nylon net bag that hangs over into the water.

I'll have to look into that

I like the idea but from what I've heard you don't wanna drag something like that through the water it's like pulling a 50lb anchor behind you I'm thinkin bout gettin a big storage bin, drill a hole bout mid ways down with a open/close valve and run a hose from it to the scupper hole and every so often open the valve let some water out and manually put water back in it with a bucket or something. That would work the same way as havin a pump

That sounds like it should work as long as it isn't in your way. You are correct anything dragging in the water will slow you down a ton

That sounds like it should work as long as it isn't in your way. You are correct anything dragging in the water will slow you down a ton

So will adding another 80-100 pounds of water in a livewell. You won't have the drag but I wouldn't think that mesh would create a lot of drag behind the Kayak.

So will adding another 80-100 pounds of water in a livewell. You won't have the drag but I wouldn't think that mesh would create a lot of drag behind the Kayak.

That's exactly right. Just 10 gallons of water is gonna weigh 83.5 lb. and 10 gallons is not a lot for a livewell. Add a few bass to that and they'd run out of room quick.

That mesh shouldn't drag much at all, even with fish in it since they'll kinda swim "away" from it as its moving

I tried using one of those metal mesh floating fish baskets once, never again. It was unreal the drag that thing made. I finally just put the fish basket in my lap to paddle back to the truck. If you have a good yak, with a high weight rating you should be able to pull off a live well in the back. There are some on the market already, hobie makes one. There was a fella a few years back that had one rigged up with a live well in the back on Boone Lake.

Well luckily my max weight is 350 and I only weigh 150. Yeah that guy your talkin bout Sam fished a rodeo 3 years ago, he had a madfroggear fish hopper 179$

Sam is the resident Yaker of the site so I would listen to him. It does surprise me that it would create a lot of drag tho.

It surprised me to. Not only did it create drag, but also was just a pain to deal with. I was in the Watauga River when I tried using a floating basket. I had it tied to me and it kept trying to pull me down river when I was anchored. Tried tying it closer to me, but then it banged agents the yak or was in my way paddling.

Edited by SouthernSam