Sign in to follow this  
maw10

Lew's LFS reel

i gave myself a present this year and ordered out one of those new Lew's LFS reels. got a chance to try it out yesterday and thought i'd post a comment here about it as i'm very pleased with it. first off, i'm not an expert by any stretch, and most of the other reels i have are pretty inexpensive reels so i have nothing to compare to as far as higher dollar stuff. with that said, you can decide for yourself how good this product report is.

as far as what i'd call a mid to upper-range "entry level" reel, i would highly recommend it. it doesn't have alot of bells and whistles, mostly in the cast control area as it only has the one magnetic anti-backlash control...no centrifugal internal control. its small and low profile and fits nicely in my hand and casts very smoothly and retrieves the same. it was very breezy on the lake yesterday, and while casting a square bill crank bait i found that one click up in the cast control knob allowed me to cast directly into the wind with no over run problem at all. i could cast a long way with very little effort, and it was comfortable to use for many casts in a row, which means alot to me and my stiff stove up old body. the drag was very smooth and held right where i set it which helped me land a six and a half pounder yesterday.

bottom line...if you're looking for a reel in the $100 range, which, by the way, is more than i've ever spent on one, and can't decide if you want to risk the money on something you might or might not be happy with, i'd tell you i think this reel is worth the bucks and worth taking a chance on. my opinion is that just about anyone would like this product.

• Like 1

That LFS is one of the best bargains in fishing. I have a few of them and for the price they can't be beat.

+1 Guarantee you it's the best you'll get in that price range. Can't beat em

Love mine & converted most of my old school BB1-N & BB1NG's over to the LFS & the new BB1 & BB2 reels.

Love mine.. Actually like it better than my tournement pro that cost twice as much.. I'll be buying more!

Love mine.. Actually like it better than my tournement pro that cost twice as much.. I'll be buying more!

I know this is an older post, but i just wanted to chime in about Lews, i own 11 of them and wouldnt have anything else. I bought a new spinning reel and the line got wrapped in behind the spool while i was bank fishing one day. I sat down and took it apart, too fast, and all the internal pieces and parts, washers etc went  flying every which direction. Only had this reel for 1 day and id lost all the working parts to the drag etc..so when i got home i called Lews and got ahold of customer service and expained what had happened and the guy on the phone took my info, name address etc..and said he would mail the parts to me and twist tie them together the exact way they went back onto the reel, i had my bank card ready to pay for whatever the charge was and he said i owed nothing, free of charge. Customer service at Lews is awesome and i will continue to buy thier reels! 

The LFS reels are a great bargain and quality product. Just purchased 3 of them and they perform flawlessly. Love the oversized handle also.

I have the LFS's and Lazer MGs.  All are awesome reels, and I dont think I could go to another reel after these.

I bought the carbon fire from dick's in lefty to use with my flippin stick and I LOVE it... i'll be getting a couple of Lazer MGs soon enough

• Like 1

I know this is a 5 year old thread but I haven't been in the bass fishing game since 2013. At that time "KVD Tour" (not KVD Team) rods & reels  were fairly new or at least considered "current." I bought several of those rods and reels, I love them, but they're no longer being made. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Lew's in general but I know very little about the specifics of their products.

From reading above it looks as if the "LFS" model is great... however, looking at the reels... there's several different models of LFS. I checked out a Carbon Fire and it felt, looked, & seemed to handle just as good as some of my Quantum PT reels.

Do you fine folks mind to give me some info & insight on Lew's reels & their rods? Is their rods just as good as their reels. Is the Carbon Fire a good reel... it feels good but the lower price point has me worried.

Thanks in advance for any & all info!!!

Lews makes good reels! No one will argue with that. I have 5 or 6 and I'm very happy with all of them. I dont think you would go wrong with buying a lews reel, I'm not a fan of their rods tho. With that said, I really believe the Shimano SLX is the biggest bang for your buck at the $100 price point on the market today. The important Features (frame material,  gear material, drag strength, ratio options, ect...)of both the LFS and SLX are about the same. Both produce excellent casting distance, are smooth and price on both is $100. The SLX has a centrifugal braking system rather than the magnetic one of the LFS. The advantage of a centrifugal brake over a magnetic one, is the centrifugal just flat out works better. That is, it helps prevent backlash better than magnetic. Some people find magnetic braking to be easier to adjust and have a hard time adjusting centrifugal brakes. Learning  how to properly adjust your reel is a small price to pay for the exponentially better performance of centrifugal brakes over magnetic. Obviously, I'm a centrifugal braking guy, but if I was looking for a mag only reel, the LFS would be one of the top reels on my list.

Edited by GlitterRocket
  • Thanks 1

Ditto to what The Honorable Mayor said. I own both Lew’s and Shimano’s- I have nary a negative remark about either. Keep an eye on EBay as sometimes there are some great deals on Top End stuff. Just be mindful of where the seller is located and I tend to stay away from buyers located in salty or brackish conditions. Also, there are Tons of closeout brand new Quantum KVD reels and rods since he is no longer sponsored by them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:36 AM, GlitterRocket said:

Lews makes good reels! No one will argue with that. I have 5 or 6 and I'm very happy with all of them. I dont think you would go wrong with buying a lews reel, I'm not a fan of their rods tho. With that said, I really believe the Shimano SLX is the biggest bang for your buck at the $100 price point on the market today. The important Features (frame material,  gear material, drag strength, ratio options, ect...)of both the LFS and SLX are about the same. Both produce excellent casting distance, are smooth and price on both is $100. The SLX has a centrifugal braking system rather than the magnetic one of the LFS. The advantage of a centrifugal brake over a magnetic one, is the centrifugal just flat out works better. That is, it helps prevent backlash better than magnetic. Some people find magnetic braking to be easier to adjust and have a hard time adjusting centrifugal brakes. Learning  how to properly adjust your reel is a small price to pay for the exponentially better performance of centrifugal brakes over magnetic. Obviously, I'm a centrifugal braking guy, but if I was looking for a mag only reel, the LFS would be one of the top reels on my list.

Thank you for all the info!!! What type/brand of rods do you recommend? Also, is the Quantum Smoke reels as good as the Tour, KVD Tour, and other comparable reels? I've also discovered KVD Smoke reels on ebay... did he go from KVD Tour to KVD Smoke reels while he was still with Quantum?

On 6/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, BulletDeuce said:

Ditto to what The Honorable Mayor said. I own both Lew’s and Shimano’s- I have nary a negative remark about either. Keep an eye on EBay as sometimes there are some great deals on Top End stuff. Just be mindful of where the seller is located and I tend to stay away from buyers located in salty or brackish conditions. Also, there are Tons of closeout brand new Quantum KVD reels and rods since he is no longer sponsored by them.

Thanks!!! EBay has been my go to for getting all my more expensive rods and reels... it's where I got all of my higher end Quantum rods and reels. I've been looking at some KVD Smoke reels but I'm not sure if they're on par with the KVD Tour reels, if they're more like the cheaper "KVD Team" stuff you use to find at Walmart, if they're just a Smoke reel with his name slapped on them, etc...

I'm researching Lew's as I don't know them like I knew the Quantum selections back in 2013. I'm not exactly sure what their Pro Fisherman use, not sure what is considered a cheap, mid level, and top end Lew's reel. I will buy top end if I can find a great deal on ebay but I don't mind mid level... I mean, mid level today is what top end was just 10 years ago.

I'll also be looking at the Shimano that the "Honorable Mayor" spoke of.

Any and all info & help is and will always be greatly appreciated!