Sign in to follow this  
SouthernSam

Got a new Kayak today!!!

This Summer just got a lot better!!! Go Big or Go Home!!! Went to Knoxville today and picked up a new Hobie Pro Angler 14!!  It's a beast of a lake Yak!  I have plenty of good river yaks at home, but I have been wanting a Hobie for a long time.  Couldn't make it home without trying it out real good, so Jill and I hit Douglas Lake on the way home. The Pro Angler is KILLER! It was all I could ask for and more. Super stable, not as heavy as I though it would be, Mirage drive system is AWESOME!!! We didn't get to fish but about 1.5 hours and the rain run us off. I did manage one keeper toothy critter while bank fishing (letting Jill try out the new yak). Then caught one small green fish while stand up fishing in the yak! This boat is going to be so much fun on the lake this summer! This thing dwarfs my tarpon...lol.  It's 38" wide and 13'-8" long.  Plus I got a bright color to hopefully make me more visible out on the lake to all the other boats.

P.S. Can't say enough about River Sports Outfitters in Knoxville!! Super nice staff, Clark is the man to see about yaks, he will hook you up!!! They offered to put everything together for me since I wanted to hit the lake on the ride home and didn't bring any tools.  While they were setting up my Mirage Drive system I noticed some taps behind the counter. I asked what they were for, and he offered me a cold beer right there in the store!!! I made new friend today!!! Even served it in a steel pint cup that he let us keep. Top notch store! He understands that TN sales tax is high, he will work with you. Hooked me up with some stickers too!
IMG_0586_zpsolwegx2w.jpg
IMG_0595_zpssvfeamtf.jpg
IMG_0596_zps4r0nav6o.jpg
P4180413_zpsxalt1itb.jpg
P4180399_zpsrbl4w2wu.jpg
IMG_0599_zpstexbxr9r.jpg
IMG_0600_zpsfdipmfz4.jpg
P4180386_zpsrsjiytt9.jpg

Did y'all put in at the dam launch? I saw 2 people coming in on kayaks when I was trolling around at the ramp. Awesome yak

Got ya. Man that's nice. Caught your first bass off it first trip out too looks like. Nice bonus for sure.

Congrats on the new yak Sam. That thing looks like a battleship next to your old sit on top. Look forward to seeing her once you get it tricked out.

Thanks Wes! I look forward to tricking it out. navigation lights, jacks for the MOONlite, Depth finder, and anchor are first on the list!

There pretty good boats for the money. 423fishin just bought one a while back, maybe he'll chime in with his thought on it.

It was a good one Phil! I been saving up for a long time! Now time to cash out credit card points for BPS gift cards and get a new fish finder!

I've been eyeballing them for a while. Biggest thing I want to know is how does it do when you paddle it? I'd like for it to be dual purpose... also for if you break the flippers.

With the little guy I may have to end up with a 2 seater.

I bought a SUP from them a couple years ago. Been used 3 or 4 times. It was something the wife had to have and then the pregnancy ruined that. Good group of guys up there.

Kenny, I really didn't paddle much yesterday. I was too busy playing with the Mirage Drive. I'll let you know how it does after a few trips out. What little bit of paddling I did do seemed a little off normal to me, not used to setting up higher. I may need a longer paddle, but most people seem to just use a half paddle (like canoe paddle) for what little bit of paddling they do on these yaks.

Sorry I'm just now seein this Sam. Man that's awesome when you told me you was goin to knoxville to look at a new yak I knew you was gonna come back with an awesome kayak, alumacraft I have the ascend fs12t I like my except it weighs half as much as I do 12ft 31in wide and 77lbs but it's pretty stable and has nice features for the money, you couldent go wron with one for your first kayak if I could go back and choose I probably would've went with the d10t

• Like 1

Awesome boat, they have pint nights at river sports on some Tuesdays, last week proceeds went to project healing water that takes disabled veterans fly fishing. And you get to keep the steel cup!! Come on back some Tuesday!!!'