Sign in to follow this  
trackertxw175

LED's

I plan on doing front bow lights at some point. Wasn't sure if they were legal in TN

From what I've read, the coast guard hasn't approved them so they're technically not legal anywhere, but most of the state agencies like them and will turn a blind eye because they're much more visible.

You can have white lights on the front, you just can't have them on all the time. You are allowed to turn them on and look around for a few seconds

You can have white lights on the front, you just can't have them on all the time. You are allowed to turn them on and look around for a few seconds

I meant the red/green front nav lights? I have a Gobee spot/nav but seldom use it as it draws bugs from 4 counties away Edited by trackertxw175

I still have the Airplane landing lights on front of Skeeter mounted in the rub rail on brackets but below the rub rail. I learned many years ago that lights that are at or above the deck and rub rails will blind you once the night air begins drawing the steam and fog up off the water. Anything below the rub rail does not reflect that glare and allows you to see channel markers. When I found out the Airplane lights would no longer be around I bought 6 pairs of back ups. Love the lights and the power they send out to locate channel markers and other things that may be floating in the river at night.............. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

I meant the red/green front nav lights? I have a Gobee spot/nav but seldom use it as it draws bugs from 4 counties away

Oh gotcha, my bad. Yes red/green is legal and required after dark unless you are anchored up. Not sure if LED is any different

Edited by rusty50576

Ross I have all the stuff here at the house for mine when you're free... it's been collecting dust for a while. I'm not motivated enough to do it. I'll fish out of yours until it done as long as you provide the gas.

Night fishing season is upon us. You need to get on the stick and get it done.

I meant the red/green front nav lights? I have a Gobee spot/nav but seldom use it as it draws bugs from 4 counties away

Red and green are what I'm referring to. On bluewater'd website and a few others I've read, it states they've not been approved yet by the coast guard so you should use the pole light as well (obviously to cover their liability) but most state agencies like them. Take all that with a grain of salt.

Steve is correct. USCG has not yet approved LED nav lights, but TWRA guys I've talked to are all for them. That said, the wrong officer on the wrong night is liable to cite you for them, and be withn his rights to do so.