Sign in to follow this  
TnTriton57

new to me triton

Well I put a deposit on a 2002 Triton TR20 with a 225 Yamaha vmax 2stroke. Anyone else on here own one? And how do they handle rough water? I'm stepping up from a skeeter st15 with a 60 hp motor to this big thing. Any tips?

I cannot say about Triton boat cause never own one but rode in several and they took big water well. Now as for the Yama-hammer if you can see what kind of outboard oil the original owner was running in it and stick with it. I'm guess Yama Lube which is what Yamaha recommends. Also as mentioned above buy some Ring-Free at a Yamaha dealer and read and follow directions on it and if you can always use Marine Sta-bil  or Sea Foam. I prefer the Sta-Bil because it is designed for today's modern products and Sea Foam has been around since WWII. Wishing you the best of luck with your new ride and it serves you well................... :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Hahaha thanks Rusty! I'm Not use to this high tech stuff lol. Thank you soft bait I'll check into that stuff.. I do know this fuel thing is going put a dent in the pocket.. Only took the boat out for an hour And used almost a 1/4 tank... So that's going take time getting use to. Also took me forever to figure out how to get that thing on plane.. Later I figured it out. Its huge learning curve thats for sure!!

That thing is niiiiiiice Eric! Great buy. Hope she runs great for you

Thanks!! I hope so too.. so far so good..  Now I can join in for prop day lol...  

Good looking ride Eric. Congrats on the upgrade. I made a similar move  but you went a little further. LOL. I went fron a 70hp to 175hp. I miss being able to fill the tracker up and fish 4 or 5 times before filling back up but I have got to see more of the lake I fish. I had the same issue with getting it to plane out. That trim switch throw me off. This is a good place to ask questions. These guys have helped me out a bunch.

Once you figure out how to trim it out & ride on plane, that yamaha will use less fuel. Itll have a sweet spot somewhere between 4500 & 5000 RPMs where it will be optimal fuel consumption.

Thanks buckeye! I think ill miss the fuel mileage as well... But when I push that pedal down and don't feel board driving it makes it worth it! And yes these guys are awesome in here.. Ton of information between them!

Thanks Mountainman I hope so!

Edited by EricR157