Sign in to follow this  
Mountainman

Buyers Beware

Just a reminder to be very cautious who you deal with when ordering a new boat. A very good friend recently went to a dealer who represented themselves as a new Phoenix dealer in Bristol and ordered a new 721...or so he thought. After a few weeks of run around, he finally got his order in. To save a few dollars & see the factory, when his boat was done, he was going to go pick it up & tour the factory while there. This was supposed to take place last Friday. His "dealer" called him Thursday to tell him Mercury was backordered and it would be a few extra weeks. After some discussion, he made a phone call to Phoenix directly. He discovered that, while Merc is backordered, Phoenix has plenty of them at their factory. Also, he was told that they have not received any orders from his so called dealer and that they are not, nor have they ever been, a Phoenix dealer. So, my buddy has been trying to order a boat for 6 weeks and has nothing to show for it. Its truly a shame. Thankfully, he hadn't given them any money yet or signed a sales contract. I reached out to my Phoenix contacts & verified my friend's story. Also verified that there are NO Phoenix dealers currently in our East Tn region. Just an FYI.

That's absolutely insane. What's the name of this dealer? He needs to log into review sites and post what happened.

WTF :scratch: why would someone do something like this, if so what would they gain?

I really don't understand people sometimes.

Glad your friend isn't out any money Andy

A few years back I had a similar situation trying to buy a truck, worked out a deal and went to pick the new truck up the following day and the lowlife dealer sold it right out from under me. Needless to say I went whopper on them right in the middle of their showroom :lol:

Edited by Whopper

I don't get it either, Phil. Unfortunately, it makes no sense to me either, as I don't know how they could profit from the situation......unless they tried to collect $$$ before he drove to get the boat. Who knows? Sucks tho

Dealer was probably hoping to buy from another dealer and mark up the price to resale. Then once your friend wanted to pickup from factory it messed the dealers plan up and left him scrambling.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I don't even know what to say about that...makes no sense on any level, unless somehow this guy was trying to be a dealer and prove that he had orders ready. Even then, why not be honest about it?