Sign in to follow this  
evinrude88

254 bumble bee would you restore or not

as the title says i have been offered a 87 254 bee for cheap with that in mind would you try and restore it or part it out. heres the pros for this boat: floor is solid. the hull looks to be in good shape. the trailer even though its not the right size is in good shape.all the accessories appear to work. the outboard runs just needs a good tune up and carb rebuild. now for the cons: the transom is week. the gelcoat is faded but could possibly be brought back. the front deck needs work.carpet will need replacement. i understand that a restore could get expensive.the boat looks like it would be fairly straight forward to take apart.the i think it would be a good one for a pour in transom. im looking for your opinions good or bad.

Image0 (39).jpg

Image0 (38).jpg

Image0 (37).jpg

Image0 (36).jpg

Image0 (35).jpg

It would be really nice restored, but the only thing is the transom can get very expensive very quick. I'll put it this way......if you can get it for one heckuva price, and you're willing to put the time, effort, and money into doing it right, and YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT, then yes, I'd restore it. I say happy because you won't ever be able to get the money you sink into one back out, so make sure it's what you want. I sunk a couple thousand into one years ago, and when the smoke cleared never even got to fish off of it. Motor screwed up right after getting it fixed, and that was that. 

It would be really nice restored, but the only thing is the transom can get very expensive very quick. I'll put it this way......if you can get it for one heckuva price, and you're willing to put the time, effort, and money into doing it right, and YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT, then yes, I'd restore it. I say happy because you won't ever be able to get the money you sink into one back out, so make sure it's what you want. I sunk a couple thousand into one years ago, and when the smoke cleared never even got to fish off of it. Motor screwed up right after getting it fixed, and that was that. 

thanks for the reply i can get the boat for less than 600 all together running motor and all. i figure it could get expensive.id like to do the work myself if possible so i figure that may cut down on cost plus it could be a great learning experience but with that being said im trying to look at things reasonably

Edited by evinrude88

+1 To What Steve says. If you end up doing the transom right, your going to pull the top cap & probably end up replacing the stringers,transom,etc. Not sure you could ever come out ahead monetarily if you ever wanted to get rid of it once you get it fixed. But as long as you have the time, money and motivation- there isn't a more rewarding feeling than bringing a boat back to its full potential. 

+1 To What Steve says. If you end up doing the transom right, your going to pull the top cap & probably end up replacing the stringers,transom,etc. Not sure you could ever come out ahead monetarily if you ever wanted to get rid of it once you get it fixed. But as long as you have the time, money and motivation- there isn't a more rewarding feeling than bringing a boat back to its full potential. 

yeah i figure ill wind up putting more into than i could get out. i figure if i rebuild it i might as well keep it

Less than $600, and assuming you're willing to spend the money to do it right, and keep it, I say go for it personally. It'll be a beauty when you get done. Like Wes says, it's rewarding to bring it back to its former glory, and also the one advantage to restoring an older boat is you have the opportunity to add stuff and customize it the way you want it. Can't wait to see it if you go for it

Edited by SteveHTN

For under $600 if you start taking it apart and realize it is more than you want to take on you can probably part it out (motor and trailer) and get the initial investment back. Just keep in mind what these guys said. Once you start throwing money at it I will add up quick and you'll never get it back out of it down the road. My 2 cents would be to hold off til winter and try to find another project that doesn't need transom work. The carpet, seats, gel coat ect. can all be done and at a reasonable cost. The transom could be costly and could be a ton of work unless you have done that type of repair work before. 

thanks for the replies guys im probably going to try and buy it i think its worth a shot to rebuild but if its not i can get my money out of it back pretty quick by selling the motor

well i got it for less than i had planned i got it for 250 the wife wanted it gone

well that definitely makes it a no brainer. Awesome deal man

well that definitely makes it a no brainer. Awesome deal man

thanks as i tare it down ill be sure to take plenty of pics

Yeah for 250 you stole it lol. Good luck with the rebuild.

thanks im looking forward to the build

Edited by evinrude88