Mountainman

The Leash

Saw this on BBC in the Phoenix forum. Interested to hear y'alls opinions. Until I read this, I have never heard of a motor coming up into the boat on impact with a submerged object....  Im skeptical, to say the least. Ive hit some pretty bug stuff thru the years but never even broke mounting bolts.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=679206

I saw the aftermath when Rex hit something a year ago. Him and his partner got hurt pretty good. The partner worse. He said he was running 50ish if I remember correctly. Look up Rex Chambers on BBC and you'll probably find pictures... maybe google. I'm leaving for a doctors appointment or I'd try to link it. 

Lord have mercy. Glad they were alright. I got a bad feeling if the bolts and metal plates don't hold it on a leash might not either but the only way to find out is to crash out a boat at high speeds several times like they would a car

Edited by rusty50576

The theory is that the motor breaks off at the swivel bracket......but 1) I'm not convinced that a polymer strap would hold it & 2) $400 with no R&D proof is super expensive.....

Heard of several motors making good anchors but had never heard of one coming in the boat. I'm also skeptical of plastic although technology has came a long way. I feel there is just to many variables to justify doing it, (Boat speed, object impacted, trim, size of motor, possibly jack plate or hydrofoil).   Best practice has always been common sense. Funny how when we get in a high performance bass boat we sometimes lose just that.  Be safe out there guys, life is short enjoy all of it.

Tightlines!!!

Maybe the polymer strap is designed to stretch and absorb the energy, and even if it breaks at the end it's absorbed enough to deflect the motor path. I'm a little sketchy myself of it though, especially at $400 with no research as you said

Just by looking at the pictures and reading little bit of "TheLeash"  it looks just like the Amick Tethers we used in NASCAR for holding the hood, truck lids, and suspension parts from flying off the cars and into the stands on the high speed tracks..  If those tethers can (and they do) withstand 200 mph collisions and keep heavy parts from flying off the cars, I would assume it could handle holding down a motor from a 80 mph collision with an object..  But like you guys, I wouldn't pay $400 for an extensively untested product. 

That's a nasty head gash!

Wouldn't the transom have the chance of breaking off, motor and mounting plate/jack plate? If so the leash wouldn't do you any good since it appears to mount on the motor mounting bolts. Hard to justify $400 for a product with little information out there, but then again it could save your life. Do any of the elite guys use it?

Hello fellas,

I came across this post and wanted to say hello. My name is Jarrod Swift and I am co owner of the Leash llc. and I appreciate the conversation being had about our products. I am a life long sportsman and an avid fisherman and I got involved with this product because I felt it could make the sport I love a little safer. Our product is patent pending and was developed by an army veteran who witnessed the accident first hand about 4 years ago on Ky lake. Our product is rated for 16,000 pound breaking strength and is SFI and Nascar certified . Our products are individually hand made here in the U.S.A. and the material we use and the way they are manufactured makes the Leash 5 times stronger than steel. With that being said we make no "guarantees" as to what they will or will not do in the case of an underwater strike with an object. We know that every day people die in automobile accidents with their seat belts on and air bags deployed but I still like to buckle up. Our products are designed and engineered to reduce the risk of your motor flipping up in the cockpit of your boat.

After several years of R&D and on the water testing the Leash was introduced to the market about 30 days ago and we have had an overwhelmingly positive response in the market place. We have had several industry professionals request our product and it was showcased at the Bass Master Classic last weekend on Chris lanes boat. There will be several of the Elite and FLW  pro's running the leash this year and we have not paid anyone to run it or endorse it , with what they do for a living they understood they need for this with little explanation. As far as pricing goes our product is listed on our website at 349.95. I am definitely not on here trying to troll or sell something with out permission of this forum. I just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any questions feel free to give me a call 502 930 8948. Have a great weekend , Jarrod

Edited by Jarrod Swift

That's a nasty head gash!

Wouldn't the transom have the chance of breaking off, motor and mounting plate/jack plate? If so the leash wouldn't do you any good since it appears to mount on the motor mounting bolts. Hard to justify $400 for a product with little information out there, but then again it could save your life. Do any of the elite guys use it?

I would imagine if your transom/jack plate/ motor mount broke off, with the energy involved for that to happen (assuming everything was in good shape otherwise), a motor coming forward would be the least of your worries at that point. Chances of living would slim to none at that point I'd think. 

Thanks for posting info Jarrod and welcome to TNBF.