Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Livewell reconfigure

my current live well setup involves a single pump on each livewell, which serves as both the fill and recirc pump. It's all controlled by the flow rite system 3 valve, with 3 position switch: empty-recirc-auto. Had new pumps and valves installed last year. Works ok, but my problem is this.......if you don't have the valve PERFECTLY set, then it'll either drain the well back down when the pump is off, or it'll pull some fresh water in when I want pure recirc. I'm debating getting rid of the valves altogether, and going to a 2 pump system and drain plug. Then I know for certain it can never drain down when the pumps are on timer, and recirc will only recirc. Figure while I'm at it id go ahead and install the flow rite pump out head on one side. Wondering what thoughts are on how difficult a job it would be. Seems straightforward to me, save adding a second drain on the bottom of the livewell for recirc intake

That and of course more wiring for the extra pumps

Yeah I think there's some merit to what you're doing. Most manufacturers have gone away from valves for a reason. However, what you're talking about doing is gonna be a big, labor-intensive job.

That's what I'm afraid of. I think it's easy to layout, but actually getting in there to do it is gonna be a sob. The other option is maybe put a simple open/close valve on the drain line, then connect a t, then recirc line and pump between the drain and that valve, to where I wouldn't have to drill a hole for recirc intake? Simple open/close valve shouldn't have the issues of the multi-function valve I would think?

And yeah, I already know I should just take the livewells out altogether and put in extra gas tanks cause all I do is drive round the lake looking for fish......LOL