Sign in to follow this  
Jamie De Vera

High speed cranking

So going through the Southern Open blogs and stories, I noticed some competitors were using reels higher than 7.1 to crank their big plugs. How and why would you use a ratio that high?? Would that not wear you out?

I wonder if it has something to do with getting those plugs down deep fast. I agree; looks like that would wear you out in a hurry. I always though slower was better, but hey I learn something new everyday.  Good Question!

^^^ be my best guess, to get em deep quickly. But think you'd have some tired fingers quick doing that 

I used to deep crank with a 5:1, ever since I jumped up to a 6.8:1 I have more than doubled my fish catches. It's all about that reaction bite. Yes, it wears you out. Bout you can crank it as fast as you can (like seriously until your shoulder is burning) and they will crush it. 

That's interesting. Never occurred to me about reaction bites when they're deep like that. 

I use the  7.9:1 mgx for most of my crankin. At 30" per turn of the handle there's no "slow rolling". You stop or hesitate then burn it to get the reaction bite. 

You can reel it to fast and the bait will stop diving and sometimes start to rise that's as far as I am going into physcics.

Reels used to have small drive gears and a lower gear ratio meant more power. Today's reels have larger drive gears, so the ratio is not as much of a factor. That and longer reel handles afford one the ability to crank fast or slow with minimal effort.