Sign in to follow this  
softbaitmaker

Need some input on this thing

Humminbird® Helix™ 9 SI Sonar/GPS Combo

My crazy son in law wants to dump $999.99 into one of these things and he asks me what I thought about it. I thought spending $230.00 on an Eagle 320   7 years ago was crazy but I did it anyway. Now he wants to spend a grand on one I know nothing about. Any input from any of you folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Softy

Call Brian at BBG marine. Talk to him on the phone and get it cheaper...    www.bbgmarine.com   he runs the shop himself and is there during normal business hours. Usually 2 day shipping. He is in Georgia... and no tax since we are in TN.

Edited by SilverFox

The Helix is a heckuva depth finder for the money, IMO. I've been debating between the 9 or 10, but hard to justify the $500 price increase for one inch screen increase and HD. I've got a 5 now though and love it, other than the screen being too small 

13 hours ago, SilverFox said:

Call Brian at BBG marine. Talk to him on the phone and get it cheaper...    www.bbgmarine.com   he runs the shop himself and is there during normal business hours. Usually 2 day shipping. He is in Georgia... and no tax since we are in TN.

Thanks for the tip on a lessor price Kenny. Will help a lot should he pull the trigger on one.............:D

• Like 1

I have been looking at some of the black friday deals but I have not found one on the unit i want, which is the Lowrance Elite 7 TI. The had some deals on the HDS units though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Karma said:

I have been looking at some of the black friday deals but I have not found one on the unit i want, which is the Lowrance Elite 7 TI. The had some deals on the HDS units though.

• Like 1

It's normally priced at $800 and I get the 20% discount through Bass Pro. I was really hoping that they would have a discount sale on it and I could throw my VIP card in as well and get some massive savings. Looks like I am going to have to end up shelling out big money for a couple of them though lol. I will have them on my boat before next spring.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 8:29 PM, softbaitmaker said:

Humminbird® Helix™ 9 SI Sonar/GPS Combo

My crazy son in law wants to dump $999.99 into one of these things and he asks me what I thought about it. I thought spending $230.00 on an Eagle 320   7 years ago was crazy but I did it anyway. Now he wants to spend a grand on one I know nothing about. Any input from any of you folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Softy

I had an eagle 320 and it was awesome. Actually I still have it but it won't turn on anymore 

Edited by rusty50576
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I had an eagle 320 and it was awesome. Actually I still have it but it won't turn on anymore 

The 320 is still on the boat and working perfect but it does not have enough Bells and Whistles for Tommy.............:lol:

I seen that Humminbird deal yesterday, it doesn't seem bad but I really have my heart set on the elite 7 ti.

I looked up that Eagle 320 online last night, found one on Ebay for $100... for a greyscale unit, it was pretty nice. Good detail.

I guess my only real problem is I am too old fashion and enjoy the more simple things in life. Back when all these fancy electronics were coming out I guess I was probably one of the only anglers still fishing with Topo Maps. I know they are probably nice to have and I know Tommy will buy one without a doubt. In the last couple years I fished tournaments I was still winning my share of them while fishing against boats with all the fancy bells and whistles. I only had a 320 Eagle and a 172C Garmin GPS which I depended more on for safe running than I did the 320 which was mainly for water depth once off the pad and looking to stop and fish...................B)

1 hour ago, softbaitmaker said:

I guess my only real problem is I am too old fashion and enjoy the more simple things in life. Back when all these fancy electronics were coming out I guess I was probably one of the only anglers still fishing with Topo Maps. I know they are probably nice to have and I know Tommy will buy one without a doubt. In the last couple years I fished tournaments I was still winning my share of them while fishing against boats with all the fancy bells and whistles. I only had a 320 Eagle and a 172C Garmin GPS which I depended more on for safe running than I did the 320 which was mainly for water depth once off the pad and looking to stop and fish...................B)

After yesterday's pathetic attempt at bass fishing, I realize I need to spend far more time learning topo maps, studying structure, and seasonal patterns. I went to my usual spots on Cherokee 3 times this week, including the site tx, and the first 2 times were a bust other than a few short fish and the site tx was a complete eggshell, yet I stayed on my usual spots hoping. Anyways, on topic, it's nice having si/di, but seems to me that most of the work would still be best done at home on a paper map. 

Well.....I'll give my 2 cents. Get the largest unit that you can afford!!!!! Go watch TV on your parents/grandparents 13 inch TV, then watch TV on a 55 inch LCD TV and see which one shows you what your looking for better. A 5 inch screen is not going to show any detail, if your are looking 100 feet out each side of the boat, on your side imaging. But a 12 inch screen will. Sure.... if you know exactly where a brush pile is and you go over it, a 5 inch screen will show it and you will like the detail. But when you are looking for fish...... the bigger the screen the better. The new Helix Megga is gonna be an awesome unit.

12 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Well.....I'll give my 2 cents. Get the largest unit that you can afford!!!!! Go watch TV on your parents/grandparents 13 inch TV, then watch TV on a 55 inch LCD TV and see which one shows you what your looking for better. A 5 inch screen is not going to show any detail, if your are looking 100 feet out each side of the boat, on your side imaging. But a 12 inch screen will. Sure.... if you know exactly where a brush pile is and you go over it, a 5 inch screen will show it and you will like the detail. But when you are looking for fish...... the bigger the screen the better. The new Helix Megga is gonna be an awesome unit.

Don't get me wrong. I don't fault anyone for wanting the latest and greatest eletronics out there if thats what they want. I have been in boats fishing the back seat on some of them with sonar units that would almost wipe your BUTT and still didn't catch anymore fish than I do out of my boat. Yea, we saw a lot of stuff I would not have seen in my boat and I saw structure in areas I fish that I never knew existed but still we didn't fill the live wells with 5 lb bass any of those days.  One important thing I have learned also, finding fish and catching fish are entirely to different things. When the conditions are perfect and fish are turned on and biting every boat weighs in fish in a tournament. When the bite is just mediocer, some boats will weigh in fish. But when the fish have lock jaw a couple boats might weign in a couple fish and does not matter if you have a 55 inch screen or a 5 inch screen. The fish will the dictators on who catches them and this year is proving that for a lot of really good anglers.

Mother Nature is kicking some really good anglers butts this year for sure. This dry weather front and crazy temperatures are not only driving the anglers nuts but the fish also. ......................JMHO

12 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Don't get me wrong. I don't fault anyone for wanting the latest and greatest eletronics out there if thats what they want. I have been in boats fishing the back seat on some of them with sonar units that would almost wipe your BUTT and still didn't catch anymore fish than I do out of my boat. Yea, we saw a lot of stuff I would not have seen in my boat and I saw structure in areas I fish that I never knew existed but still we didn't fill the live wells with 5 lb bass any of those days.  One important thing I have learned also, finding fish and catching fish are entirely to different things. When the conditions are perfect and fish are turned on and biting every boat weighs in fish in a tournament. When the bite is just mediocer, some boats will weigh in fish. But when the fish have lock jaw a couple boats might weign in a couple fish and does not matter if you have a 55 inch screen or a 5 inch screen. The fish will the dictators on who catches them and this year is proving that for a lot of really good anglers.

Mother Nature is kicking some really good anglers butts this year for sure. This dry weather front and crazy temperatures are not only driving the anglers nuts but the fish also. ......................JMHO

Sorry for the double post. Computer is messing up this morning!!!  I guess it is because of everyone doing online Christmas Shopping cause it has my computer working at a crawl................:angry: 

Doug, I agree with, your double post :P, but the question was about units not catching fish. lol. So, if, he is going to buy a unit, then I would suggest that he get the largest unit that he could afford. I know that I plan on getting the Helix Mega 12 come this spring, before the ledge fishing starts in 2017. Rumor has it, that a 17 -18 pounder was seen on the Chic, this week.

Well I feel like I scored tonight.

I stopped at the cabelas just north of Cincinnati on the way home browsed around a bit and went on to check out their bargain cave and what do I see.... A Lowrance Elite 7 TI marked down to $400 says missing parts. It was missing the unit mount, the mount I have with my old Lowrance will work and if not I'll just get a ram mount. 

This was normally the $700 version, the transducer that comes with this one does not have down scan ability but it does have gps, side imaging and standard Lowrance sonar.

Feeling like I have jumped from a pinto to a caddy from my old 2.5 inch greyscale unit.

Had a list of things to get done tomorrow but...... I may get this mounted asap in the morning and be out on the lake.

14 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Doug, I agree with, your double post :P, but the question was about units not catching fish. lol. So, if, he is going to buy a unit, then I would suggest that he get the largest unit that he could afford. I know that I plan on getting the Helix Mega 12 come this spring, before the ledge fishing starts in 2017. Rumor has it, that a 17 -18 pounder was seen on the Chic, this week.

LOL, I know that for sure Randy and you can bet he will spend as much as he can to get the best model available. I have just stepped back and when he asks my opinion I just say if you want it go for it cause he is going to anyway......lol  I guess my biggest issue is I will have to learn how to operate the darn thing for when I use the boat to go fishing and my technology abilities on a scale of 1-10 is a minus 1. That is why I have always went by the KISS formula ( Keep it simple stupid) It has worked for me for many years so if it ain't broke don't fix it...........ROFL.................:lol: 

Bigger the better. I have a 5" and wish it was twice the size or more. If you split screen at all it gets tough to see. I run map and sonar quite a bit. Its tough to see the contour lines and the sonar at the same time on such a small screen. I'll definitely go bigger on my next purchase. Prices have came way down as well. What you can buy for $500 now was well over 1k a few years ago. I have Lowrance units now and they are pretty user friendly. The Humminbirds I had before were just as easy to use. I would like to see some Raymarine and Garmin units out on the lake tho. The market is starting to get pretty competitive with more brands making good units now.

I upgraded to the Helix 12 this past spring and love it.  Worth every cent, IMHO.  The autochart function is a game-changer if you're a tournament angler.  You'll be able to capture and use detail no one else has.  The CHIRP imaging is clear, crisp, and detailed.

The new mega si and SmartStrike are absolutely sickening features to get IMO. Anytime someone or something can tell me where to look for fish would be a good thing.

1 hour ago, SteveHTN said:

The new mega si and SmartStrike are absolutely sickening features to get IMO. Anytime someone or something can tell me where to look for fish would be a good thing.

I just done some research on this SmartStrike you speak of....I can see how that could be extremely useful! May be adding a new unit to my Christmas list now!

On 11/28/2016 at 5:26 PM, SteveHTN said:

I don't have SmartStrike on my current units, but I did buy the Contour Elite computer program and I love it. It is the best map study I have ever seen. It does have smart strike on it too. I caught a lot of fish, this year, sitting in my recliner. I think that 2017 is going to be a fun fishing year, because I can now have confidence in the spring and the summer. Map study and waypoints saves a lot of time on the water.