Sign in to follow this  
softbaitmaker

Need some input on this thing

On 12/30/2016 at 9:57 PM, RboatlessNomore said:

I don't have SmartStrike on my current units, but I did buy the Contour Elite computer program and I love it. It is the best map study I have ever seen. It does have smart strike on it too. I caught a lot of fish, this year, sitting in my recliner. I think that 2017 is going to be a fun fishing year, because I can now have confidence in the spring and the summer. Map study and waypoints saves a lot of time on the water.

What lakes does that elite program have? I know smart strike don't cover all the lakes. Only Douglas and Cherokee in E. TN.

at least the Mobile app....

6 hours ago, NobbyNobbs said:

What lakes does that elite program have? I know smart strike don't cover all the lakes. Only Douglas and Cherokee in E. TN.

at least the Mobile app....

Go to humminbird website, and they have the lake list for the southeast. I don't know which lakes are HD.

Nobby it also covers Loudoun and pretty much all the other main TN river reservoirs. Boone and some of those aren't listed but I'm sure they'll have em soon. 

11 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Go to humminbird website, and they have the lake list for the southeast. I don't know which lakes are HD.

could you post a link to the list? I have searched over their website and couldn't find it.

17 hours ago, Karma said:

could you post a link to the list? I have searched over their website and couldn't find it.

http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Accessories/Cartography/Contour-Elite/

https://sfslakedata.blob.core.windows.net/lakelists/SE4.pdf

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/CESE4/

Might play with the demo for fun but they don't have the lakes I will fish the majority of the time, Boone and SoHo.... guess I stick with Navionics

On 1/1/2017 at 6:49 PM, SteveHTN said:

Nobby it also covers Loudoun and pretty much all the other main TN river reservoirs. Boone and some of those aren't listed but I'm sure they'll have em soon. 

Probably v. 5 or 6

I am going to have to agree with NobbyNobbs on this.

It seems like a great program but it is really lacking in the lake department for the money. My home lake is on there, (Cordell Hull) but I have been on that lake sense I was old enough to walk. I know the locations of all sorts of good stuff on the bottom from wood and brush piles to an old engine block. There are other lakes such as Center Hill and Dale Hollow, both of which are about as close to me as Cordell Hull that I would like to learn. They are not on there. I could understand Center Hill not being on there but Dale Hollow? That is a pretty popular lake.

I think I will be holding onto my money as well for the time being.

thanks for the links though don't know why I couldn't find them.

Edited by Karma

Can't blame yall. LakeMaster is still new to the game, somewhat. They will get those lakes sometime. I wouldn't trade my lakemaster chip for a 100 navionics though. I guess someday autocharts will replace all map cards anyway.

I remember how proud my Grandfather was of his first fish finders .. he passed away in 98 so we are probably talking early 90s on these units. They were old grayscale humminbirds that were top of the line at the time, just an old gray scale unit with fish emblems and there depths along with a contour line of the bottom.

It is pretty amazing how fast technology is increasing.

9 hours ago, RboatlessNomore said:

Can't blame yall. LakeMaster is still new to the game, somewhat. They will get those lakes sometime. I wouldn't trade my lakemaster chip for a 100 navionics though. I guess someday autocharts will replace all map cards anyway.

Would have been really cool if, instead of developing their own charts, Humminbird would have instead worked with Navionics on this stuff. I do think the Navionics charts are better detailed on top of having all the maps. But maybe bird will get there. 

There's a very aggressive effort under way to chart lakes/rivers and update the Lakemaster cards.  You'll see a number of updates this year.  Navionics Platinum is the most comprehensive card at this point but even it has some obvious gaps.  I'm with boatless - the autochart live option on the HB Helix is the shizzle.  It allows you to collect/record unprecedented detail for your favorite spots.

8 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

There's a very aggressive effort under way to chart lakes/rivers and update the Lakemaster cards.  You'll see a number of updates this year.  Navionics Platinum is the most comprehensive card at this point but even it has some obvious gaps.  I'm with boatless - the autochart live option on the HB Helix is the shizzle.  It allows you to collect/record unprecedented detail for your favorite spots.

The new Helix's are really pushing the envelope on features at a great price. 

For all that are not willing to spend the $$$ for new units of 9, 10, and 12 inch size. You can go to some of the bigger forums and find great deals on used units. That way you can get a larger unit at a price of a new smaller unit. Just pay attention to the hours used. Just my opinion.