Sign in to follow this  
Bird721

Dual unit or Single at Console

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you actually use 2 units while idling looking for fish or just 1 unit. I already have a HDS 9 gen 3 at bow and at console and recently had the opportunity to pick up another identical unit very, very cheap. Wondering about mounting a second unit at the console or selling both and getting a single 12 to put there.  If using 2 units what's the best mounting application for two units going on a Phoenix 721.  Any input would be helpful.

Thanks guys!

I've seen a couple different setups done. One is to mount one in the dash and the other beside console like this. 

6B2C7446-0BDE-4D37-BB94-A38134E6EE42_zps

The other is to set them up side by side on the dash like this. 

F310FA98-7AB6-4F9B-8C29-48179A7AA7FA_zps

personally, I'm a fan of the first way, because you'd have to relocate all your gauges and stuff out of the dash if you did the 2nd pic, plus get a custom bracket built. I think most guys run maps on one and use the other for sonar/side scan when idling around. Or you could do structure on one and sonar on the other. I'd assume that you can connect them both to the sane transducers to eliminate getting interference between them. 

I use a dual system on my console - I have the Helix 12 mounted on the dash and the 1199 on a RAM mount off to the side.  My usual set-up is to run the Helix on autochart while the 1199 is running a split-screen side/downscan.  This way I can see contour and fish detail at the same time.  When I'm running I use the Helix in the nav mode.  Lil safer looking down vc looking off to the side.

My Helix is mounted on a Bass Boat Technologies mount (same manufacturer as the mount in the lower pic).

http://prociseoutdoors.com/dual-dek-it-dash-mount/

Give that a look. I honestly think when I upgrade depthfinders I'll go with a dual mount like that. As for the transducers, you should be able to network em together so they're able to function on different screen modes without interference. 

I am thinking I will stay with dual 9's vs. going to a single 12. I like the idea of running my chart on one and side/down scan on the other. Doing that on separate 9" screens should still be large viewing and better than going with a single 12" screen to do both. I think you guys are correct in using the same transducer. Only concerns is if I mark fish with one unit will they my waypoint on the other units. I'm thinking so if they are all connected. Also I would like to add a Point 1 as well this winter. Should it be position at the rear of the boat closest to the down/side scan transducer for better working.

Thanks for your input fellows!

1 hour ago, Bird721 said:

I am thinking I will stay with dual 9's vs. going to a single 12. I like the idea of running my chart on one and side/down scan on the other. Doing that on separate 9" screens should still be large viewing and better than going with a single 12" screen to do both. I think you guys are correct in using the same transducer. Only concerns is if I mark fish with one unit will they my waypoint on the other units. I'm thinking so if they are all connected. Also I would like to add a Point 1 as well this winter. Should it be position at the rear of the boat closest to the down/side scan transducer for better working.

Thanks for your input fellows!

I was going to suggest if you decide to stick with single units and get a 12 to put the 12 on the bow. Makes sense  you would want the bigger unit where you will spend the most time looking at it... But given the chance I would stick with dual units on the console as well. I only have a single unit and many times I would like to be able to run my charts and get a full screen of down and side scans. But I'll wait till I upgrade my boat to go that route... 

Got a buddy with a new Gen 3 HDS 12 he is wanting to sell if you decide to go that way. It'll save you having to pay taxes and maybe shipping according to how far away from Kodak/Dandridge you are. If you're interested I can get more info.

22 minutes ago, SilverFox said:

Got a buddy with a new Gen 3 HDS 12 he is wanting to sell if you decide to go that way. It'll save you having to pay taxes and maybe shipping according to how far away from Kodak/Dandridge you are. If you're interested I can get more info.

Thanks SilverFox but I think I have decided to stay with the dual units for now.

Appreciate the thought though!

• Like 1

Hey bird, if your units are networked together with Ethernet cable or wifi on some, when you mark a point it should be stored on all of em