Sign in to follow this  
brwnbass

Bomber long A

So i recently got on an ebay kick & bought about 6 or 7 of these things. A couple of new ones, & 4 of the old ones in the orange boxes. 2 have spinners on the back ( i got lucky on those, somebody listed them for $10, buy it now & i snagged 'em. I had bid on some others & they sold for $25 to $40 EACH ) I have heard alot about these things & i know some people swear by them. So, when, where & how do you fish them? 

Best topwater bait on earth. Throw it out and slow reel it in with your rod up in the air about 10 o'clock. You want it to just wake on the surface. And hold on. 

+1 on all said. Have a weightless senko ready on another rod for the ones that drill it to stun it and don't hook up. Throw it back and hang on

And another +1.  You can call fish up from a suspended state w/ these baits better than many other topwater presentations.  They are super around and over grass, esp the edges.  Also good over submerged wood/brush.  They are killer along stratified rock in the NE TN lakes - get up tight to the shoreline and parallel cast.

You can make these suspend and/or sink by adding suspend dots.  You wanna put them closer to the front so they'll settle nose down.

+ever how many. They work for me pretty much year round, unless is super super super cold. Then it would probably still work I just haven't tried it. Works good as a jerkbait too (especially for big trout) but as everyone above said, reel it slow and let it wobble. Even tiny fish will eat the heck out of it. Jointed thunderstick can also be pretty good but I can't find them at any stores 

The most viscous strike I ever had was with that lure I was fishing C14 canal a main drainage canal for the Ft. Lauderdale area it was right after a big rain and the pump house pumping water into C14 canal just like when there running water out of the dams up here. Anyway I had the little propellers chugging along and something hit it that lure the biggest strike I have ever seen it was like a 5 Ft. circle anyway I didn't think nothing of it starting throwing another rod with a spinner bait on it no luck so reeled in picked up both my rods and noticed that the bomber lure what ever hit it had ripped the treble hook off and straighten out the split ring and that's when the thought came in to my mind maybe I'm glad I didn't see what it was I still have the lure sitting in my box if I can get photo bucket to work I will post it PS. The lure works great and have caught some nice fish on them.

Good info, thanks guys. What line do yiu throw it on? I tried it on smackdown 20lb braid & it just didn't work right. I had to reel it way too slow to keep it on top & it just barely wiggled at all. 

Best bet would be the biggest mono that you can still cast it well with, but I throw jointed thunder sticks with braid and mono leader. You do have to bring it in very slowly though. I always got them to wake better by replacing the back treble with a bigger hook size

Put a #2 on the rear and a #6 on the front....it wakes well this way but ya roll it in  s   l   o   w  l  y.

Surprised no one mentioned color yet but I have several translucent colors but only carry "bone" when I throw it . Best day on Cherokee I ever had was throwing it downwind on points and rocks v-waking it through the waves.

884508_557507887617327_748410109_o.jpg

I prefer the older Long A's & swap the hooks a little bit. I have successfully thrown them on mono & braid, although I like mono better b/c I feel like it lets the bait stay up on the surface better. Try them both & see what works best for you. Bone has always been my favorite color choice. Not sure about the newer models, but the old ones are all bone underneath whatever paint is on top. Scrape, sand & fish. lol.

18 minutes ago, Mountainman said:

I prefer the older Long A's & swap the hooks a little bit. I have successfully thrown them on mono & braid, although I like mono better b/c I feel like it lets the bait stay up on the surface better. Try them both & see what works best for you. Bone has always been my favorite color choice. Not sure about the newer models, but the old ones are all bone underneath whatever paint is on top. Scrape, sand & fish. lol.

I thought about saying that but the person that told me that made me swear to secrecy!!! Hahaha I guess he wasn't the only one that knew that trick 

On 1/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, Mountainman said:

Most of the ones i got from ebay are the old clear ones with the reflective/chrome strip inside. I have 1 gold 1. I haven't seen any old bone colored ones on ebay. I will get a couple that are beat up & strip them. Thanks for the info andy.