Sign in to follow this  
leaders on braid

so I must admit I have never really been big on using leaders on braided line. I guess its a popular technique from some of the videos I have been watching online, but I guess I have always saw it as a potential weakness. My thought being that, you are just adding something else that could fail and cost you a fish, so I have never fooled with them. I either through straight braid, fluro or mono directly tied to the bait. I prefer the KISS (keep it simple stupid) methods when it comes to fishing...

I'm trying not to be stubborn here and learn something new, so I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. For those of you that do... I have some questions..

1. do you tie both lines together with an "fg" knot?

2. do you use a swivel?

3. could you use a swivel?

Edited by Karma

I typically use an Alberto or Seaguar knot. No swivel, but have friends who throw C-rig on braid and use swivel. 

Deciding on Alberto or Seaguar for me depends on temp. If it's warm enough, I'll take the time to tie Alberto. Freezing, I use Seaguar because it's faster to get gloves back on.

Depending on the length of your leader a swivel may or may not work. A swivel darn sure won't go through your guides. I use 2 different knots when I do braid with a leader and it depends on the size of line. With small line on a spinning rod, say 10lb braid and 6 lb leader I use an Alberto knot. Very strong, easy to tie. With heavier line on a baitcaster, say 65 lb braid and 20 lb leader I use a FG knot. Only reason I don't use the FG on the smaller is that I have problems getting the braid to bite in the small diameter leader line. It works like a Chinese finger trap and it will work, but you have to tie the PERFECT knot. 

Here is what I use. 

j-knot-step-01.jpg?w=620&h=413&fit=max

How to Tie the J-Knot

1283261.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
JASON SEALOCK
12/01/2013

Another good leader to main line knot of varying materials and diameters, the J-Knot is one that will require you cut a length of leader off before you tie it because the entire leader has to pass through the knot when tying it. To Tie: To start, pass the lines tag ends parallel to each ...

The J Knot for bass fishingj-knot-step-03Another good leader to main line knot of varying materials and diameters, the J-Knot is one that will require you cut a length of leader off before you tie it because the entire leader has to pass through the knot when tying it.

To Tie:

To start, pass the lines tag ends parallel to each other several inches. Now grabbing both lines, tie a simple overhand knot, pulling the entire leader through to complete the knot. Now, 2) grab the entire leader and the tag end of your main line and over lap them back into your half hitch again. Finally, 3) loop the leader and tag end through the knot once more and pull the leader and tag end completely through the knot. Moisten and pull all lines simultaneously to cinch the knot.

Notes:

You basically are weaving your leader in and out of a half hitch 3 times to lock the lines together. Depending on line diameter, this knot can be a little larger than some of the other line joining knots, so experiment and practice to see if the speed and size of the knot works for your applications.

I started using braid with fluorocarbon leaders a little over a year ago and have only used the alberto knot. I used 10-15 lb braid with 6-10 lb fluorocarbon leaders ranging from 6-15 ft leaders.  IMO the braid to flouro leader saves money and will cast farther. I only had to respool my reels twice last year, where I would normally respool every month with straight fluorocarbon or mono.

I've had the best luck with the Alberto knot when using as leader. I usually use a 15-25 foot of leader, and the Alberto knot goes thru the guides well enough that I don't notice it. Also, I'm only running braid-leader on spinning rods.  

I use the double uni when going mono to braid when using mono as backing. Did plenty of saltwater setups when I worked for a shop in NJ, and using mono as backing is commonplace on the big salty reels. 

Alberto knot works best IMO, though I don't use a leader much. I like it because it comes through the guides easier than any other knot I've used. As for swivels, only time to use a swivel, IMO, is Carolina rig or something similar. As stated, they will not come through the guides so are useless for anything more than a few feet. 

Jezzz.....

I feel like I have opened a can of worms.

I have swivels but only use them for Carolina rigging. I was just wondering if it was possible.

I can see where it would save line, not to mention make use of the left over line from spooling some of my other rods. I guess I am off to youtube to watch some videos on it. I appreciate everyone's feedback but to be honest, pictures don't help me much. I am a terrible student, I need to see it done to actually be able to do it myself.

Another question though,

Do you guys who use these leaders do it on all of your set ups, or is it just for a set up for one specific technique that you like?

I only use it on two setups. First is for bladebaits. 15lb braid/10lb fluoro leader. And Damiki. 10lb braid/6-10 lb fluoro depending on how clear water is

• Like 1

I use the uni-uni knot.  I put a small drop of super glue on it.  Have used the micro swivels on spinning gear - they work ~OK.  Big guides are kinda important.  This is not a set-up you wanna use if you're fishing a baitcast rig w/ micro guides.

I use a braid-leader set-up for dropshot, shakyhead, and weightless plastics.

After some research found this video from knot wars   Looks like I'll be switching knots although for me double uni is easier to tie 

Edited by BassMagnet

17 minutes ago, 31Airborne said:

I use the uni-uni knot.  I put a small drop of super glue on it. 

+1. Use this set up on several rigs. Very few problems in the past 5-7 yrs

As far as saving line, I don't fish as much as some of these guys obviously given my job, but I've had the same braid on all of my reels for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever, other than some color fade. Certainly wouldn't get anywhere near that out of mono or fluoro 

I have used it to throw dropshots, t rigs, swimbaits, senkos, and shakey heads up 1/2 oz. Ive thought about using it for cranking but haven't tried it yet.

FG is strongest knot i've tried and has smallest diameter.  i've never had a break at this knot.  some guys make fun of it because of the length.  it is more difficult to tie but worth the effort to go through guides when using a baitcaster.  Alberto is a close second and easier to tie.