Sign in to follow this  
Jamie De Vera

Spinnerbait rod

I prefer a short 6' rod for spinnerbaits. I like being accurate with placement. Fast action, medium heavy. 

I think the length would also play into your height a bit as well...  I am right at 6' tall so ...

both of the rods I use for spinnerbaits are Blackout rods from No. 8 tackle co.

7'3 & 7'6 medium heavy, extra fast.

both of those have a 13 fishing Concept A reel at 7:3:1 spooled with 15 lb & 12 lb fluorocarbon respectively. Not really picky on which one I am using for that purpose to be honest, just depends on what I am doing with one and the other is usually always tied up with a spinnerbait on the deck.

I was thinking about getting a 7'2 or 7'3 with a moderate fast to fast tip of course in MH. Right now I use a 7 and I like the controllability I have with it but would like a bit more distance. 

I'm also 6' Karma. Just saying me personally, I like the shorter rod for spinnerbaits. Most spinners are heavy enough to get a good amount of distance out of em in any event, and I feel I have a lot more control of exactly where it lands with the shorter rod. Of course a lot of that I guess is from fishing Loudoun where there are lots of things to cast to or docks to get under, rather than long casts with slow rolls on structure. My .02

I had a shimano 6 10 extra fast MH that I used for daytime but now she is on the bottom of Watauga, I use a  6 6 mh or 7 mh

I have 2. One is a 7' Lews MH I use for open water and slow rolling. But I also have a 6' BPS Bionic I use for fishing in willows and brush. Great control and can roll those spinnerbaits right up under the willows when needed.

Tightlines.

• Like 1

I don't have to be that accurate with my casts. I fish Dale Hollow, Cordell Hull and Center Hill. Not that many private docks and I don't like fishing in marinas, unless I'm on the dock. Haven forbid you smack the hull of someone's half sunken 1951 houseboat... I do have to watch for limbs and what not, over hanging cables around the barge mooring ballards. 

Guess I'm the odd man out.  I use a 7' M/fast St Croix.  I had a bad habit of pulling the bait away from fish w/ a MH rod.  The little bit of give in the M rod fixed that.  My St Croix has plenty of backbone for working fish back to the boat.

• Like 1

In my experience, st Croix has a lil stiffer action than most rods, too. Typically, if I'm buying a st Croix, I drop one action weight.

I have a 7' mh xfast Fenwick for most SB applications & prefer a 7'6" for night time slow rolling.

Given that these opinions are all over the dart board Jamie, seems to me that it's all gonna boil down to your preference on it.

Guess so but hey I'll take any and all opinions. 

Dad and I have been talking about it as well and as of this point I still don't know what to get lol. I do know which reel to pair the rod up with though lol

Just for Chits and giggles I will throw my 2 cents into this even though it has been probably 2 years since I had a Spinner Bait tied on. Back when I was fishing SB's I used a 7.0 medium fast tip rod built by a custom rod builder in Fort Worth Texas espeecially for Spinner Baits with 12 lb Sufix copolymer line because I told him most of my casts are roll casts for short distances of no more than 50 feet. The handle on the rod is a two hander and I can roll cast with 2 hands and land my bait almost with in inches of where I want it. I  know folks will think I'm nuts with a two handed roll cast but sure saves your wrist if you throw a Spinner bait a long time...........jmho 

I have 2 different rods I will tie a spinnerbait on..depending on the situation. 

8' rod if I am fishing along bluffs.. long weed line.. etc.. Basically covering water since I can launch a bait way out with it. 

6'6" rod for heavy cover and tight to cover.. 

Both are MH with fast tips.

8'??? When you say covering water on bluff walls I guess you mean the Grand Canyon? LOL. Just messing with ya but seriously, I guess I'm in the minority here but I've never had an issue casting spinnerbaits a country mile if I need to with just about any rod. 

:) 

I use it for more than spinner baits.. I also use it for deep cranks, although I am thinking of getting a composite rod for that since it loads up a little faster than I would like for cranks.

FWIW I never cast a spinnerbait as far as I am capable of, slow rolling a nite blade I throw a little farther because I want it on bottom

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, country said:

FWIW I never cast a spinnerbait as far as I am capable of, slow rolling a nite blade I throw a little farther because I want it on bottom

The only thing I hate about chunking a night thumping Spinner bait and bottom bouncing it is those 40 and 50 lb Flat Head Cats that seem to move up on them long rocky points at night. Those critters sure can destroy a really nice blade bait at night. I have probably caught 10 or more of them on Priest lake over the years so I quit thowing them at night............jmho