brwnbass

Tn shad crankbaits

Anybody know if the original balsa Tennessee shad crankbaits are worth anything?  They were made in maryville tn until 1975 from what i can find. I may or may not have half a dozen, still new in the original package.  Just wondering if its ok to fish with them, or are they worth millions, lol.

Maryville. Company was owned by retired nfl linebacker Lonnie Warwick. Went out of business in 1975 i think. 

You may wanna do a little research.  There is a huge body of fishermen who collect old[er] baits like these.  The fact they're NIP will be a big plus for you.  Dunno about millions but they'll certainly turn a nice profit.

If I owned them they'd be tied on to one of my crankin' stix.  Just sayin' . . .

I don't know that much about crankbaits since it's be a few years since I spent time buying any but with that said I think just about any Crankbait made with Balsa wood NIP is going to be worth a lot more than it originally did for sure and collectors will probably be interested in them. Last time I bought Balsa  wood baits was when Rapala began phasing out their wooden baits and I went on a buying spree of Shad raps and bought 20 SR 5, 20 SR7, 20 SSR7 and 20 SSR9'sand I have about 30 or more still in packages but none of them are for sale.

Rapala still makes balsa shad raps & fat raps as far as i know. I think they got alot of complaints from fishermen & decided not to quit making balsa baits. 

I have been buying up the reintroduced original style balsa  big o's here latey too. Found a bunch on ebay. 2 different ones, one made by cordell for cabelas & one for bps. The bps one has a circuit board lip, the other is lexan. Both were made in the eary 2000's. 2004 i think.

49 minutes ago, brwnbass said:

Rapala still makes balsa shad raps & fat raps as far as i know. I think they got alot of complaints from fishermen & decided not to quit making balsa baits. 

I have been buying up the reintroduced original style balsa  big o's here latey too. Found a bunch on ebay. 2 different ones, one made by cordell for cabelas & one for bps. The bps one has a circuit board lip, the other is lexan. Both were made in the eary 2000's. 2004 i think.

Good to hear they are still making them but I have all I need and probably all I will ever need...............:cheers::P

There is a guy outside Knoxville that makes some nice handmade balsa crankbaits. Jawjacker Handmade Balsa Crankbaits. They were at the fishing show a few weeks back. https://www.facebook.com/Jawjacker-handmade-balsa-crankbaits-212198655478837/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Edited by Peck