Awhile back I was looking at doing something solar for charging my trolling motor batteries while my boat sits on a lift at the lake. Well after researching I have nixed that idea and the main reason is a couple other people that are closer than me to our boat dock asked me about installing some electric and we have pretty much agreed that one of the guys is going to let us use his power, another fella is going to provide a trencher and I am going to install the electric. I'm going run the wiring in PVC and size the conductors properly so we won't have any voltage drop. With that said I have started searching for a two bank on board charger to install in my boat and again there is a ton of them out there but I have no experience with them. I run two batteries just for my 12/24volt trolling motor.

So this is where you guys come in with opinions and suggestions. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Edited by Whopper

I love my Noco Genius, Phil. I run all AGM batteries, and this charger is geared toward that design. But if you use AGMs, I think this would be a great choice for your situation because it's designed to stay plugged in anytime you're not using the boat. Basically, it runs diagnostics on your batteries every so often & adjusts its charging pattern accordingly. Guaranteed to not overcharge or overheat your batteries. I've been thrilled with its performance.

^^^^ that. Noco is well made and a better bargain than anything else I've found. I know Minn Kota Precision are very good as well, but the cost imo is insane. 

I have a old style Minn kota got it used for 50 bucks off buddy of mine it 3 bank but just use 2 of them been real good to me hope this helps

I have a two bank Minn Kota I bought for my javelin last spring. I didn't use it that much, hooked it up and charged the batteries once or twice then had issues with the boat and sold it. Never did permanently mount it. Still has the factory bread ties around the cables I believe. The tracker came with a genius built in so the Minn Kota has just been sitting around. I paid about $120 for it, yours for $50 + shipping.

+1 on Minn Kota.  I have the 4-bank 460PC.  It can accommodate all battery types.  I'm with boatless - you should consider getting a charger that will take care of all your batts (TM and cranking).  Go to tackle Warehouse's site and check out their options (MK and Dual Pro).  I've used both, both served me well.  Key things you'll need to look are 1) 10 amps per line, 2)  ability to accommodate all battery types.

Thanks everyone.

The only reason I was looking at a two bank was I've never had any issues during the season with the cranking battery. Unlike most of you guys my boat only get used from May to November and besides weekends and a week trip here and there it was parked in my garage and charging wasn't a problem.

Again Thanks

I can see what you're saying Whopper. IMO though, it's not a tremendous amount more for a 3 bank so to me it'll serve you better long term. These new chargers nowadays are foolproof as far as overcharging, and they also have the ability to clean and refresh the battery plates to make em last longer. My .02 anyhow

I'm with Steve on this, Whopper.  The few extra dollars buys you a lot of peace of mind and flexibility.

Thanks again fellas, Karma may not like it but you guys have made me rethink to a 3 bank charger. In searching it's not that much more money. Again thanks for the help, I respect your opinions that's why I asked. Can't beat experience

Oh no problem here bud, I'd get the three if I were in your shoes to be honest. Offer is on the table to you or anyone else needing a two.