Sign in to follow this  
bluejig

Swimbait set up

For 5" baits I use a MH/fast baitcaster, 6.4:1 reel.  Usually spool w/ braid (50#) around grass, fluoro (15#) in open water.  I let conditions tell me what kind of hook to use (weighted or unweighted).  I prefer unweighted (I like the Trokar swimbait hooks).  Gives the bait a slower, more subtle fall.

I use a spinny pole w/ high speed reel for the smaller baits.  Usually spool fluoro (10 or 12#) but have used 30# braid in some applications/conditions (dirty water, thick brush).  Easier for me to cast the lighter baits.  Same deal on hooks - conditions tell me weighted vs unweighted.  If I'm skipping around docks or brush I'll rig weightless or very light weight (1/16 to 1/8 oz).

• Like 1

7'11"  heavy swimbait rod 1/2-3/4 jighead depending on depth  3/4 if I want to get deep fast and slow roll. 50# straight braid for solid hook sets and the end of long cast which is when I get bite usually    You'll hear a lot of guys say can't catch em on braid in clear water but I've caught a bunch on Norris and Holston 

Edited by BassMagnet

7' med power - fast action rod. 7-1 or faster reel. Med power rod allows the fish to suck the bait in good & loads up for good hooksets. I use 12 to 15lb floro. Texas rigged with a wide gap hook in shallow water. A 3/8 to 1/2 jighead on 4" & bigger baits in more than 10' of water. 1/2 oz jighead & up on anything over 5". For under 4" baits i go with a 3/16 oz in shallow water to 1/4 oz in 15' or more.

Hello all,

I think many of us have asked this question at some point in time. I believe that we have bought into the word "swimbait", without truly thinking about what is at the end of our line. Basically, for a 3.5" to 5" swimbait, you have an weightless to an 1oz. hook or jig head on the end of the line. So, depending on WHERE you are fishing the bait: ledge, grass, rocks, etc.; would determine line type and size and rod power. If you are retrieving it like a crank bait then use an action that allows the fish to get the bait. If you are dragging it, then use the rod that you would throw a football jig with. So it is my opinion that a "swimbait" set up is for "west coast" swimbaits. If you are going to throw 3 - 10+ oz. swimbaits, then you would need to have the set up for those weight range baits. But for the 3" to 5" baits, just use the rod that you would use for the way that you fish the technique that the hook is on. Anywhere from a weightless fluke to a heavy jig. Just my opinion.

Sorry if long or offensive. 

I agree with rboatlessnomore, a 3 to 5" swim bait can be fished on whatever you have available, I fish 4 rods, 2 broadcasters and 2 spinning reels. One is mh fast for crank baits the other 3 are medium fast that I fish all other baits on. I don't have a problem with hook sets or the fish getting the bait .

When I fish a swim bait I use a 6.6 medium heavy, medium fast tip rod. It has worked well for me when I do fish swim baits which is seldom...............:ph34r: