Sign in to follow this  
Boat Recarpeting

So my boat has vinyl flooring and it sucks. That's being nice about it. It's discolored in some areas peeling in some areas. I knew this when I bought it and was able to haggle down the price. I was hoping it would last a few seasons but it's driving me nuts and has to go.

I can buy the carpet to do it for less than $300. I have done it before to my old boat but I hated it. 

Thinking of paying someone to do it rather than deal with the hassle myself. Anyone know what this usually costs? 

I got a quote awhile back from a guy that does it on the side for $150. Not sure what an actual shop would charge but I don't believe it would be too insane. 

I agree, our local shop here would be S&R Marine. They are way overpriced. I wouldn't even consider it.

If I can find someone around here to do it for $150... that would be money well spent. I hate fooling with this stuff.

9 hours ago, Karma said:

I agree, our local shop here would be S&R Marine. They are way overpriced. I wouldn't even consider it.

If I can find someone around here to do it for $150... that would be money well spent. I hate fooling with this stuff.

Last one I had done didn't have vinyl in it so don't know but it cost me $280.00 plus the carpet and the guy did a great job on it. I had not complaints at all. It took him about 4 days to get it done and I know the guy so he earned his money.....:cheers:

I use S&R Marine for all my motor issues when I have one and I don't find their prices as bad as any of them aound here. I have been Using them since boat was under warranty and had a lower unit go bad and Skeeter told me to take it to them for replacement. I got such great service then that I just continued using them even after the warranty ran out.

I put some down in an old Jon boat. If you buy the carpet yourself, my advice would be to buy a good quality carpet and not go with the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff I used was a hook magnet. Every time a hook got close it would snag and was a bear to get loose. There was a member a while back that went thru their boat and posted some good progress pictures, but I don't recall who it was. I think it turned out good for them doing it at home. As far as a shop to do it, I don't have any recommendations. It can be done yourself but it probably well worth paying to have it done. It's a ton of work and the slightest mishap will have you cussing and aggravated with a poor outcome

Edited by Peck

Oh trust me I know how big of a pain it is.

I did my old Javelin which was a fish and ski over a year ago by myself. I said words and combinations of words I hadn't used since I was in the Navy.

The actual removing the old carpet and laying down the new isn't the part that would bother me. It's removing the lids then having to get new rivets and all that bs that would drive me nuts

Oh as far as the actual carpet, check out bassboatseats.com. The price is as good as any I've found for high quality carpet 

42 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

The actual removing the old carpet and laying down the new isn't the part that would bother me. It's removing the lids then having to get new rivets and all that bs that would drive me nuts

Oh as far as the actual carpet, check out bassboatseats.com. The price is as good as any I've found for high quality carpet 

The guy that did my last boat didn't use rivets when he installed the compartment lids. He used stainless steel screws and it look and was great. Never had an issue out of any lids.

I was looking at carpet on bassboatseats...

what about padding? my last boat did not have it, is it something you guys would recommend? I could see where it would be nice on the casting decks. I can also see it being a pain to work in around the hatches.

Edited by Karma

Seems you wouldn't need padding on the lids but that said, I'd just cut the padding like half an inch to an inch short of the edges of the lids if it were me

yeah I dunno if I will even bother with it then. I will be standing on my lids on my casting deck. I can't imagine it would look very smooth if I didn't lay padding on the lids and had it on the rest of the deck and if I did put it down, opening and closing would be a pain.

59 minutes ago, Karma said:

yeah I dunno if I will even bother with it then. I will be standing on my lids on my casting deck. I can't imagine it would look very smooth if I didn't lay padding on the lids and had it on the rest of the deck and if I did put it down, opening and closing would be a pain.

I know one guy that had the padding put in his boat when he had it re carpeted and he regretted every second of having it done. He said it was almost impossible to get the compartments open and in the wintertime or in the rain it was twice as hard. He paid the guy that put it in to completely redo it over and remove the padding after just 1 year of fighting with them.

5 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

I know one guy that had the padding put in his boat when he had it re carpeted and he regretted every second of having it done. He said it was almost impossible to get the compartments open and in the wintertime or in the rain it was twice as hard. He paid the guy that put it in to completely redo it over and remove the padding after just 1 year of fighting with them.

That's why I'd leave the padding short of the edges about half an inch to an inch. As far as being worth it Karma, I've never been on a boat with it but I can imagine it makes the day a lot less tiring on your feet if you stand most of the time. Whenever I get my carpet redone, I'll definitely get the padding. I wasn't aware your compartment lids were far enough up that you'd spend a deal of time standing on em but yeah, seems it would be a good investment IMO

I just redone all the carpet in my boat.  It wasn't that bad.  I done it in a weekend with the help of daughters.  I bought my carpet locally here in Knoxville at Broadway Carpet.  They have marine carpet in stock and they beat the online prices I had found.  I have a friend that has a New triton with padding under carpet.  If you weight over 200lbs I would not recommend it.  After the first year of use his padding is wore flat where he stands and looks like crap.  I would just get a high ounce carpet and leave the padding out.

1 hour ago, 82nd4Life said:

I bought my carpet locally here in Knoxville at Broadway Carpet.  They have marine carpet in stock and they beat the online prices I had found.  

Was it cheaper than bassboatseats.com? 

23 hours ago, 82nd4Life said:

If you weight over 200lbs I would not recommend it.  After the first year of use his padding is wore flat where he stands and looks like crap.  I would just get a high ounce carpet and leave the padding out.

Maybe your buddy got a bad batch, but mines an '11 model & go 230-250 lbs depending on time of year & mine looks great still.

On 2/23/2017 at 11:51 PM, SteveHTN said:

I have an 18.5' boat.  I bought 20' by 8' it was right at $130.00. The glue is expensive.  However you you don't have to pay shipping and you get to see the product before you pay when you buy locally.  MountainMan I don't know, I maybe just cosmetically picky because I do collision repair.  Lol.  I have fished all day from his boat with padding and I have fished all day without it and my legs get tired on both.  I mainly just fish from my casting deck, but if I done yoga or gymnastics in my boat, I would go with paddling.  Lol. 

P.S. I'm just ribbing you.  Some people can tell a difference, but I cant.

Edited by 82nd4Life