Sign in to follow this  
softbaitmaker

Ok heres a question for ya'll?

How many anglers have at one time or another after a bad day on the water and no fish have ever considered the fact that they have actually overcomplicated the sport of Bass fishing?

I will be the first one to answer and I will say several times and I finally sat down and wrote down a complete new plan on how to approach the sport and it improved my catch ratio and bite ratio a lot. I simplified my entire approach of less rods, less baits, less big motor time and focused on what I knew worked for me the most and paid the most dividends and that is what I stuck with........jmho

yes.

With all of these new techniques and baits, some times I forgot a simple jighead on a grub will work to.

Yes most definitely. Can remember back when all I had was a Ebbtide dyna track with a 50 hp evinrude and a hand full of baits.....seems like I caught just as many or more fish than now. Has a lot to do with time on the water as well. I spent a lot more time on the water in those days. 

11 hours ago, fritobasser said:

Has a lot to do with time on the water as well.

This x10000. I tend to disagree somewhat with oversimplification/over complication. See, I view new techniques & baits as tools in my toolbox. Most have a specific purpose & an appropriate time for use. It's my job to discern when that time is & utilize that tool appropriately. I dunno about yall, but my toolbox has a lot more in it than 2 hammers, a pair a channel locks & a #2 Phillips screwdriver. I want as many tools as I can possibly get my hands on, so that when I get a situation that requires one, I have it covered. Fishings the same way, in my book.

• Like 1

I'm kinda w/ Moutainman - having lots of tool sat your disposal opens up new opportunities and ways to catch fish.  There will always be things I am more comfortable with or have more confidence in but it's nice to have other options.

To Doug's point of over-complicating things, I find that my biggest failure is trying to force feed a bait to fish instead of letting them tell me what they want and how they want it.  If I spend  little more time listening (to the fish) I tend to catch a few more.

To add a little something to what everyone has said.....I think that sometimes showing the fish something new will get more bites than the same old thing everyone else been throwing over and over all day/week/year. Whether it be a new bait or a new presentation, such as the A-rig, there are times when whatever new "tool" it may be will catch fish better.

I also agree with Doug in that you should fish your strengths. The biggest over complication is having all the tools and having no clue how to use them. If you don't know how, when or where to throw a Damaki, then stick to what you know and you can still have a productive day. Some of the Elite guys showed this on Cherokee in that not everyone was throwing the Damaki, but a lot still cashed a check doing what they were comfortable with either up shallow with a jig or cranking. You do still need the new "tool" tho, so that when the time comes you'll be prepared.

Thanks to all the folks that put up their answers to my question. As to havng a floating tackle store to choose from. Believe me I had one for most of my years of fishing. When I decided to go to my strength and took a lot of stuff out of my boat I found myself focusing on my choices I still had and found out I could catch as many or more fish it made fishing for me a lot more fun but that is just me and it may not be for a lot of anglers. Now with that said, I don't throw one bait all day. I do have 5 rods in the boat and have an assortment of baits tied on those rods. Normally it is a top water rod, a crankbait rod, a Jig rod and two soft plastic rods with two different baits. I will have about 10 different soft bait styles that are proven fish catchers. again thanks for all the thought on my question. 

I must definitely be over complicating things lately seeing how much I've struck out lately, so next time I fish I'm gonna clean the entire boat out and go with the one lure I know for sure works.....a case of dynamite

Trying new stuff can be fun and learning something new certainly won't hurt this old dog LOL  But I think I fish plastics more than anything over the course of a year.

At times, now actually, I use moving baits. Small cranks and spinnerbaits with a mix of rattle baits. I intend to use umbrella rigs too, new for me.

So these are my old standbys but I like to take a little time and pull out other "tools".  If I can learn a few new techniques along the way I find it to be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

If I'm fishing a tournament I usually have an idea of baits I'm going to use and I prefer baits I have confidence in.  But learning how to use something different and incorporating that into my old standby's is my goal.

Fishing for me is fun, all aspects. Don't want it to become overcomplicated nor do I want to be to stubborn to learn new stuff.

The passion for fishing folks on this site have is why I keep coming here. I just like fishing. Oh, the BS we have here too is great too!!

Steve, post a pic of the dynamite trip LOL

10 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

I must definitely be over complicating things lately seeing how much I've struck out lately, so next time I fish I'm gonna clean the entire boat out and go with the one lure I know for sure works.....a case of dynamite

LOL!!! I have actually seen days that your bait choice in this post would not work either. First you have to find the fish to use it and I have seen days even finding them was dang near impossible......................:lol:

5 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

LOL!!! I have actually seen days that your bait choice in this post would not work either. First you have to find the fish to use it and I have seen days even finding them was dang near impossible......................:lol:

LOL. Me on Cherokee lately. I'd have to dynamite the entire lake

Fishing isn't simple. Nothing works every time out. And there is usually something that works better than what you are using at any given time.

I have found over the past couple of years, that I have had great success on old approaches.  The fish that are in the lake's today wasn't alive 10/15 years ago.  So the hottest new bait 15 years ago the fish now haven't seen.  I usually have 12 rods in my boat and six or eight on my deck.  Once I find em,   (With the new electronics and understanding how to use them, there is no hiding)  I will go across the area with one approach and then come back across it with a completely different bait and approach.  Just because it tricked one fish doesn't mean they all fall for it.  

I still do not fully know what a damiki rig is.  It looked like crappie jigging a small swimbait.  If that's the case this is nothing new.  It's been a small mouth and walleye technic for 50+ years in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  Vertical jigging is all you got when fishing through a hole in the ice.

• Like 1

I guess after thinking about my question and reading the replies it makes sense that many anglers like offering the newer baits and new products. Just because I simplified my style of fishing does not mean it's for everyone. I use to be one of those folks that wanted the newest and latest products but I found out for me it was moving me away from my strength of putting fish in the boat. Like 82nd4life said. The fish that saw the old baits have for the most part passed on to the big pond in the sky and the fish in the lakes today can see a bait fished 15 years ago and for the most part it is a new baits to them.....JMHO 

It was said earlier in the post about less big motor.  We this I completely agree with.

Last year I was taking a friend fishing and practicing for a tournament as well.  About 2 1/2 miles on the opposite side of the lake, my Rude spit the number 6 rod out.  So, since we are here and limited to just the motor guide, might as well fish our way back.  It turned out to be one of my best days on the water last year.  Our five biggest was 22lbs on Cherokee.  I fished stretches of banks I would never stop to fish, but since I was trolling by anyway might as well cast at it.  Believe it or not those not so good looking banks had monster, or numbers on them.  Since that day I may move once or twice in a tournament. The more the lure is in the water the more a fish has a chance to eat it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 82nd4Life said:

It was said earlier in the post about less big motor.  We this I completely agree with.

Last year I was taking a friend fishing and practicing for a tournament as well.  About 2 1/2 miles on the opposite side of the lake, my Rude spit the number 6 rod out.  So, since we are here and limited to just the motor guide, might as well fish our way back.  It turned out to be one of my best days on the water last year.  Our five biggest was 22lbs on Cherokee.  I fished stretches of banks I would never stop to fish, but since I was trolling by anyway might as well cast at it.  Believe it or not those not so good looking banks had monster, or numbers on them.  Since that day I may move once or twice in a tournament. The more the lure is in the water the more a fish has a chance to eat it.

Hate hearing you popped the Rudy to learn the lesson but it was alesson well learned I guess. Back about 1997 and a couple years after they killed the weeds and many 1000's of fish cause they used the wrong poison it was tough trying to find fish. By 2000 it was becoming a little easier to catch fish but they were still hard to find. Much of this due to the fact that the fish population was still low but fishing pressure was still  heavy. I knew a few guys that we friends of mine that worked for TWRA and operated the shock boat checking on fish populations after stupid stunt by Corps and fish kill. Anyway we were talking one day and I brought up the question about the fish are not making a good comeback and one of them spoke up and said there are more good size fish out there than most folks think they are. He said they are just not in the same spots they use to be in because of the fishing pressure.

Now this is where your statement comes in about fishing banks that day you would never have normally stopped and fished. The game warden said he would not tell me which banks to fish but he would say this. Begin fishing banks that don't look like they would have a fish on it. Just plain unattractive banks. I got out my topo map and began to look it over for banks I had never fished and I began catching good quality fish with good numbers. Had to make a few bait adjustments but that was the easy part. Still today I fish a lot of what I call ugly baits and they still produce fish................:cheers:

It's ok on the rude.  I now have a 93 fast strike on the back.  I have found there isn't a motor that I cant blow up or melt down.  That's why I refuse to go to four strokes, cams, valves, timing gears, that's stuff sounds expensive.  

I have always believed that the places least fish are some of the best spots.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 82nd4Life said:

It's ok on the rude.  I now have a 93 fast strike on the back.  I have found there isn't a motor that I cant blow up or melt down.  That's why I refuse to go to four strokes, cams, valves, timing gears, that's stuff sounds expensive.  

I have always believed that the places least fish are some of the best spots.  

I actually look for places I never see boats on while I am running to a new spot and if I run past that spot several times and don't ever see a boat on it I will make it a point to go and see what it looks like close up and will almost always wet a line and give it a try. As far as 4 Strokes, like you I love my 2 stroke just fine................B)

Edited by softbaitmaker

ok, here is my recent personel assessment of this subject..I am a life long mechanic/technician. I have tools in my 12k toolbox that I use on a regular basis and some that I have  used three times but when I needed them they are worth their weight in gold. I know when and how to use each of them and know how to adapt them to uses they were not intended for. now that being said ..the options for baits/lures and techniques and the tackle to use for them for bass fishing seem to be endless and overwhelming. just walk into a basspro looking for a swim bait and you just walk out with hooks or something you don't even know how to fish. now as a tech I had training and spent 8-10 hours a aday 6 days a week learning my career. As much as I try to chase those slimy ******** ill never have the same time to put into learning what to use and when for a specific condition. some I will just figure out and some I will never try. so what do we do? well  right wrong or indifferent I went to my comfort zone.  texas rigs, lipless, crankin, spinnerbaits. . I'm still a student and trying to figure out the drop shot, the ned rig, even the right way to fish a soft swim bait. its all about when and why!! lots of you tube hours later..lol

• Like 1

I went through that couple of years ago and last on year on Tellico downsized the bait and it seemed to work my problem is sometimes I try to fish the whole lake instead of the spot I'm fishing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snj60 said:

I went through that couple of years ago and last on year on Tellico downsized the bait and it seemed to work my problem is sometimes I try to fish the whole lake instead of the spot I'm fishing.

I think fishing the whole lake runs in the veins of every angler at one time or another. As far as downsizing a bait goes, I have caught some very large fish on some very small baits over the years so don't ever be afraid to go small. Big Baits don't always mean big fish.................:D

I did exactly what Karma said I went to a jig head open hook and a grub with ribbon tail.