Sign in to follow this  
trackertxw175

12V Parallel

Do you mean two batteries hooked hot to hot neg to neg? That's how my boat is rigged.  I had  60lbs thrust 24 volt trolling motor, but I wanted to go back to 12volt so I could lose my accessory battery.  I was running 4 batteries.  One cranking battery, one accessory, and crossed to get 24 volt for my trolling motor.  Now I can run my accessories off my trolling motor batteries.

I think you are going to see more of parallel rigging as more and bigger electronics get put on boats. 

Figure a pro boat has 4 10-12" graphs (panoptix, 360 imaging must take lots of computing power), a hydrowave, shallow water anchors and live well pumps. There is a lot going on there.

And not every pro runs lithium batts, but even there I think there are some guys running two 12v in parallel. 

I do think it's worth it if you really load the boat down with stuff, like Endreson is saying. Think night fishing in summer, 3-4 graphs, livewells running continuous, lights, this and that, and it starts taking a lot of juice, though led lights are gonna help a lot as well. 

7 hours ago, trackertxw175 said:

Thanks for the info. Night fishing and accessories are what I'm looking to change.

Having issues or just trying to stay ahead of it? I'm curious how my cranking battery will hold up with all the LED's I added over winter. 

I will add I upgraded my trolling motor this year.  I bought the new motor guide Xi5.  The new digital trolling motors use a lot less juice.  Just to see how long it would last I used the boat two weeks in a row without charging it and it was still showing above %40. That was a major improvement on battery usage.

• Like 1

This might surprise a lot of folks but I run my black light jacks, my Pro Air for live wells, All my graphs off my Deep cycle batteries along with my Motorguide TM and I can fish from 7PM till 7AM without any issues what so ever. The only thing I added to my starting over the years is my headlights and that is because they are only on when teh big motor is running so they run off the charging system on the big motor. This new equipment these days draw very little to almost no voltage and the deep cycles are designed to take a load. There is no room in my boats for an extra accessory battery anyway. I thing I had a diagram for that hook up Ross mentioned if anyone needs to see it I will try and post it.

The reason for this is I don't want anything on starting battery that is not absolutely required cause I always want to make sure I have plenty of battery to start the big motor. 

Edited by softbaitmaker

6 hours ago, Peck said:

Having issues or just trying to stay ahead of it? I'm curious how my cranking battery will hold up with all the LED's I added over winter. 

Trying to stay above it. Thinking of moving electronics to TM battery and add 2nd batt in parallel. The livewell, factory lighting and electronics all run from factory off starting battery. You can run your LEDS for a couple of days off your battery. They draw very little

Edited by trackertxw175

3 hours ago, trackertxw175 said:

Trying to stay above it. Thinking of moving electronics to TM battery and add 2nd batt in parallel. The livewell, factory lighting and electronics all run from factory off starting battery. You can run your LEDS for a couple of days off your battery. They draw very little

I already have 2 batteries for deep cycle purposes plus a starting battery and like I mentioned earlier, I have my black light jacks, all my graphs, my Pro-Air for livewells and now all those LED lights Tommy put on the boat on my deep cycle batteries and can fish all night from 7 pm to 7 am and still have plenty of power left for trolling motor. The electronics now days draw very very little wattage and has almost no effect on deep cycles hooked in parallel. 

So say someone was running a parallel system between the 2nd battery and the starting battery, I know they would discharge evenly but would they both charge evenly from the charging system on the big motor? I pretty much have my lights and trolling motor run off my second battery and is was done but the EOD on Saturday, didn't know if running these parallel would help or worsen.

20 minutes ago, TheBassWhisperer said:

So say someone was running a parallel system between the 2nd battery and the starting battery, I know they would discharge evenly but would they both charge evenly from the charging system on the big motor? I pretty much have my lights and trolling motor run off my second battery and is was done but the EOD on Saturday, didn't know if running these parallel would help or worsen.

Depends on several things honestly. Usually one battery is a tad weaker than the other, even when they're ran in parallel, and the weaker battery will always suck up the juice till they even out. 

• Like 1

Basically I'm just wanting to be able to charge both batteries from the charging system of the big motor, BUT I don't want to leave myself dead in the water.

Yeah I personally wouldn't ever want to have my trolling motor linked to my starting battery. 

• Like 1

I know someone offers a charging system you can run through your big motor charging system but I would never want to put that kind of load on my big motor and hope it keeps my staring battery charged to start my outboard. I will stick with my 2 bank deep cycle charger I plug up when I come home...............jmho

So probably wiser to get another battery and parallel them and run trolling motor and maybe graphs of that?, hmm I don't know if I have room for that, unless ....I dunno have to check

most new boats come with battery switch to connect to 1 trolling battery if start battery is weak.  i added one to my boat and it's good to know you won't have to fool with jumper cables.  if you're running 12" sonar, some can pull up to 3 amps.  and they continue to pull current when in standby mode.  that's as much as some of the old tube blacklights.  if you're running multiple large graphs and old school blacklights, you may need a 2nd start battery for all night fishing. nav lights and aerators load it even more.  if you have room, add a second battery in parallel with start battery.  alternator type charging systems can handle the load.

54 minutes ago, TheBassWhisperer said:

So probably wiser to get another battery and parallel them and run trolling motor and maybe graphs of that?, hmm I don't know if I have room for that, unless ....I dunno have to check

Or parallel your starting battery for graphs and all of that and leave the trolling motor on its own. Be my suggestion. 

I'd go with moons suggestion on a jumper switch too, just in case you ever needed to jump the big motor off. 

55 minutes ago, TheBassWhisperer said:

I haven't done it on mine yet. It will take some livewell pump rerouting to fit another battery in the compartment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trackertxw175 said:

I haven't done it on mine yet. It will take some livewell pump rerouting to fit another battery in the compartment.

Yeah, another thing I have to get for mine, I wished I would have run into you at the ramp Sat, lol

while we're on the topic, anyone ever have any luck with those solar chargers?

Anybody done this yet? I'm getting another battery and I was goin to parallel it to my cranking/everything besides trolling battery for night fishing like was stated before   Trying to decide if I should parallel it or keep it separate for accessories. Only problem I have with that is a don't have another charger bank for another battery but also don't know the one bank would charge both batteries if they were parallel 

Edited by BassMagnet