Sign in to follow this  
whj812

Mercury Outboards - thoughts opinions etc

All,

I am getting ready to get a new boat with a 150 ProXS on it want some opinions.  I asked a good friend the other day and he prefers the Mercury's.  I want some more info on what to expect as far as problems or quirks in the future.  I am coming from a super reliable Yamaha 4stroke that has been a tank and has been on lakes all over the Southeast since Ive had it.  I plan on keeping the new boat for the long haul if possible.

Let me know your thoughts on Mercury engines in general.  If anyone has any XP with the 150 ProXS let me know too.

Thanks in advance!!!

You know your only going to get 1 motor name out of me and that is Yamaha. Been running them for years and have 1 right now that is 19 years old and starts every time I turn the key, takes me fishing and brings me back to the dock and best of all it has been in the shop for repairs 1 time other than a defective lower unit fixed under warranty a year after I bought the boat. Other than that just maintenance trips once a year........................:cheers:

My first glass boat (purchased in 2003) had  Merc 150 EFI on it.  That boat is now on its 3rd owner and the motor has over 600 hours w/o a failure.  Just routine maintenance.  I'm on my 2nd Merc 250 OptiMax and from my view they're ~bullet-proof.  Superb warranty and customer support.  You'll never have a hard time finding a Merc tech.

You'll have a bit of a learning curve going back to a 2-stroke (checking oil, service requirements, etc) but it's nothing hard or complex.  Think you'll appreciate the performance, reliability.

Not sure what Doug's post has to do with a Mercury ProXS, but i digress. The 2.5 liter block is one of the most reliable that Mercury has ever produced. Like 31Airborne- my father had close to 800 hours on his 150 efi when he sold it about 4 years ago, only thing ever done was the computer was re-flashed around 600 hours. Keep the water pump and lower unit oil changed yearly along with change out the plugs when recommended  and you will see many years of reliable service from it IMHO.

Not super versed in the 2.5L motors, but I've learned a great deal on the 3L models in the past few years. I've had a couple issues crop up, but Merc has stepped up on both occasions, one well under warranty, the other right on the verge. Long story short, get on BBC & read everything you can in annual maintenance. The ProXS are tough, but require some attention. Water pump, compressor strainer, plugs and lower lube are annual musts. Other things to keep an eye on are 150:1 fuel mix, Don Weed's fuel additive cocktail, compressor failure prevention, and temperature(t-stats). Strongly recommend the purchase & install of a level 1 Merc Monitor.

look at the merc 150 4 stroke.  i've only heard good reports on these.  probably won't be as fast as proxs.

gray yamahas are good but look out if you have to buy parts.

I have a mercury 50 hp four stroke and the boat mechanic told me that they use Yamaha power heads in merc 4 strokes??? Anyway it runs great just like every other mercury I have ever owned

My 225 Mariner Super Mag (basically a Merc ProMax) is 21 years old and runs like it's possessed. I think as long as you keep maintenance up and keep an eye on water pressure and temp, a Merc is as solid as it gets IMO

3 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I have a mercury 50 hp four stroke and the boat mechanic told me that they use Yamaha power heads in merc 4 strokes??? Anyway it runs great just like every other mercury I have ever owned

Mercury and Yamaha have been swapping parts for quite a few years now. Back when I got this 1998 I lost a lower unit in 11 months. When I called the dealer to find out when to bring it in he said when it won't move. That took place 5 days later and I took it in and he said have a seat. 30 minutes later he had me sign a few papers and he handed me my keys and told me ready to go. I asked him how they fixed it so quick and he said we didn't fix it, we replaced it. He told me they were using Mercury lower units on anything under 150 HP and were having tons of issues so Yamaha designed a new lower unit for their lower HP motors and that is what they put on my motor. So it goes back farther than 1998 that Merc and Yammie have been working together.

IF Yamaha and Mercury have been swapping parts for years, wouldn't that mean Mercury is just as reliable as Yamaha? :scratch:

In all honesty I think outboards made by any builder these days are all a lot more dependable and about equal as far as quality goes. It's just like most all boat manufacturers are now making great boats and are for the most part all about equal. The only thing that makes boats different these days is what accessories they use to spruce them up and attract buyers and their warranties...............jmho

I would say more Pro boats have Mercury motors. Not saying that makes them better/more reliable or if they just spend more money on sponsorships. I've always had Mercury motors and haven't had any issues. I have a 150 Optimax now and so far so good, but I haven't had it long. I would say maintenance is key on whatever is on the back.

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  The order is in and now im waiting on my boat!  Anxious isn't the word for me right now.......  

All that being said.  Where do you Mercury runners buy your oil and stuff at?  Is there a place that is cheaper or better to get it than the other?

Thanks again in advance!

I buy oil from Watsons in bluff city....I know that doesn't help you much, but check your local shops. Merc dealers usually buy DFI oil in bulk & you can get it $8-10/gal cheaper. I buy fuel treatment components from Don Weed at www.europeanmarine.org. I get a split case of all 3 products. Usually lasts a year. You get a discount for bulk purchase & a discount for being a BBC member. Mr. Weed is a very very good resource to have.