Sign in to follow this  
RIVERDAWG

46.89 LBS IN TOURNEY

The guy said he doubts he will ever get in that kind of fishing again. I figure now that folks know about the lake it will be so crowded for next 5+ years that there won't be any fish to catch in a few years. It will become another Lake Fork. No one ever talks about that lake much anymore either since it has been fished to death. Don't get me wrong about the guy bragging about the catch but he said he did it 2 weeks in a row and from what I could tell from the guts on those fish in the Video I would guess all of them were staged to spawn and many of those fish won't spawn after being taken away from their spawn area.............jmho

Shearon harris lake is small at 4100 acres.It already gets a ton of pressure.From the looks of the results for the whole tourny only a few caught fish most boats zero'd

10 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

from what I could tell from the guts on those fish in the Video I would guess all of them were staged to spawn and many of those fish won't spawn after being taken away from their spawn area.............jmho

This just isn't factual, Doug. Biological fact is that they will find a nest & they will spawn there. Yes, it does cause them some extra stress and there may be some hatchling and/or egg mortality, but rest assured, those fish will still spawn.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mountainman said:

This just isn't factual, Doug. Biological fact is that they will find a nest & they will spawn there. Yes, it does cause them some extra stress and there may be some hatchling and/or egg mortality, but rest assured, those fish will still spawn.

I hope your right Andy as I have heard many different stories about Spawning fish over the years and some of them from fish biologists in both TWRA and at the University of Alabama. Some have said they will find another bed and some have said that depending on how close they were to actually locking on the beds they have filmed big Bass that was very close to or taken off a bed and transported away a great distance and they witnessed the big Bass banging it's sides against a stump and forcing the eggs out of her body and they just floated to the bottom wasted. After learning this back years ago is why I have been so negative about bed fishing. I have not done any research on this issue in a long time. I might do some and see if they have learned anything new....................:rolleyes: 

Well, in 5 yrs studying wildlife/fisheries biology, I never saw or heard of a fish intentionally wasting their progeny. It's just not in their instinct. Their natural drive is to reproduce at all costs. Nor did I see any research in that time frame that was conclusive about negative effects of catching bedded bass. Don't mean to imply that you're intentionally repeating false info, just that maybe tge info you received maybe wasn't accurate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mountainman said:

Well, in 5 yrs studying wildlife/fisheries biology, I never saw or heard of a fish intentionally wasting their progeny. It's just not in their instinct. Their natural drive is to reproduce at all costs. Nor did I see any research in that time frame that was conclusive about negative effects of catching bedded bass. Don't mean to imply that you're intentionally repeating false info, just that maybe tge info you received maybe wasn't accurate.

I will be to first person to admit that I have not done research in sometime and I am wrong on this issue cause I was basing my information on old less accurate information. This is the lastest information I can find. I stand corrected. Thanks Andy.

http://www.jimporter.org/articles/article111.shtml

I don't go out of my way to make certain I'm fishing when they're on the beds, but IMO, if catching bedding bass was as detrimental as some of these (Peta driven) studies would have us believe, none of us would be fishing now. Just my .02

Read an article about this guy and his AMAZING week of fishing. 41+ in first tourney, 46+ the next weekend, and over 40 the next day. All fish were prespawn, none were caught sight fishing. They were spinnerbait, swimbait, and football jig fish. 

Mountain Man - if you keep using words like progeny in here you're gonna hafta set up a dictionary section, dood.  Geez . . .

Airborne doesn't do math or science in public.  ;)

• Like 2