Sign in to follow this  
whj812

Black Lights.......

I want to re-engage the debate on the best black lights that people are using these days.  I know with the Bluewater kits and the umteenmillion different other rub rail blacklights coming out a few years back it changed the game. 

The question is which do you guys prefer?  Rubrail - or Standalone (moonlight/punisher/whateverelse)

That being said i have one Sloan Blacklight that somewhat functions left that I have used since my first ever boat.  I need to upgrade but IDK what to do, get the rub rail ones or standalone LED style lights. Ive fished out of boats with the rub rail ones and depending on the setup they seem ok but how is the longevity of them.  Im getting a new boat and I dont know if I want holes drilled into it out of the gate :)

Thanks guys!

Honestly Wes I've seen some boats with rr lights. They look good, and they do tend to give a wider coverage, but imo, the brightness of the line with those can't begin to match Moonlites. I have heard of the bluewater going out after a couple of years. That said, guys I've talked to with rr lights seem to love em, and they are more convenient, look cool, etc. 

• Like 1

I still use to low profile Hoppy's black lights that fit into jacks in my boat deck even though my Son In Law did install led rub rail black lights on the boat last year.

One side of the LEDs has already quit working and need to be replaced if he wants to use them. I told him it was mistake to go with that lighting but he knew best. Boat looks like a Christmas tree out on the lake. He also put the front running green and red lights lights up front and they quit working and I am still using the factory front running light. I would imagine he will be going back to what works which is what was on the boat before he wasted all that money if he plans on night fishing...........jmho   

• Like 1

As far as fishing, get the Moonlights. The LED's are fine for lighting compartments, but the Moonlights are better UV. 

As far as fluoro that glows , I haven't found a good one yet. Stren  fluorocast is horrible.

Edited by trackertxw175
  • Like 1

Thanks!  

Anyone used the Glowmaxx Products made in Morristown?

Moonlights ............ You will not find anyone better after the sale if you have a problom or question . 

• Like 1

As the others have said above- Moonlites without a doubt. They have several configurations to choose from: black/green, black/white. The owner/inventor frequents the website and can answer any questions you have.

Here this should clear it up. Lol

Or just buy a moonlight at Watson's and be done with. The man himself is up there to help you with any questions you may have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Triton196 said:

Here this should clear it up. Lol

Or just buy a moonlight at Watson's and be done with. The man himself is up there to help you with any questions you may have.

What about Nuclieye?  Do they still sell Black Lights?  :poke:

All discontinued.  I saw that last night as well.  Moonlite is sounding like its gonna be the way to go for me.  I will still have my old sloan as a standby until it gives up the ghost.  I think Ill steer clear of the rub rail ones, lots of people Ive talked to have had them die on them over the course of 2 years of use.  I fish alot in the night, and cannot have that fear of the thing not working on me when i need it.

• Like 1

^^^ exactly. And even if the moon goes out, it's easy to replace/get fixed. Rr lights are a major pita. All that said I figured your lines and lures were all glow in the dark

16 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

^^^ exactly. And even if the moon goes out, it's easy to replace/get fixed. Rr lights are a major pita. All that said I figured your lines and lures were all glow in the dark

Depends on the amount of Plutonium and Alien Piss I coat them in.

I put the rub rail lights on mine earlier this year (actually just below the rail). Haven't been out of the garage at night so don't have any idea how they look on the water and haven't had them on long enough to talk about the longevity of them. I do like that they are there and mostly hidden and the fact that I don't have to store or plug anything in when I want to use them. To me they are may more convenient then any of the other UV lights out there. That being said I have no idea how well they compare to the others either. My boat does have the jacks in the top rail so if these don't work out it will be easy to pick up a moonlight to add to the mix. Time will tell for me I guess. 

3 hours ago, whj812 said:

Depends on the amount of Plutonium and Alien Piss I coat them in.

LOL

I bit the bullet and got me one of the Moonlite Full Moons!  Turned it on in the garage and its real bright!!