Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Best spinning reel

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the best spinning reel brand. I've used my low end Pfflueger Trion combos for years and they've done me well. Didn't seem to matter near as much as with baitcasters, but now I'm itching to upgrade. 

Daiwa kind of has the market locked down on spinning reels right now. There med priced reels are as good as a lot of companies higher end spinning reels. Check out the revros ($49) and the rg ($59) both are excellent reels. 

You know I'm a die hard Shimano fan. I've got several Sahara's($79) that are great little reels. Ive also got several stradics($175-200). Their new Nasci($100) & Ultegra($150) look & feel great, but I've not used either of them.

I bought a rod & reel combo about 3 years ago specifically for throwing a fluke. I got a dobyns 7' rod & a revo s. I have beat that rod & reel to death, caught a ton of smallmouth on them & they have been flawless. The reel is still very smooth, drag works perfect.  I think i have cleaned & greased it once. It has had braid on it since day 1 too.

1 hour ago, softbaitmaker said:

LOL, Can't help you here. I don't own a spinning reel and have not owned 1 in probably 30+ years....B)

LOL. Well at least I know who not to ask :smash:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, softbaitmaker said:

LOL, Can't help you here. I don't own a spinning reel and have not owned 1 in probably 30+ years....B)

You don't know what you are missing. 

I like the Lews reels.  I have one spinning reel in lews and will replace my others with them soon.

Edited by whj812

I would get a better lews spinner than the American hero model. I've gotten $10 china reels that worked better than the "American hero"

IMO its tough to beat Daiwa SS Tournament reel. Great drags, good gears , good line lay. I've had Quantum Energy's, Shimano Sustains & Stadics and have gone back to the SS Tournaments. For about $100 they're hard to beat

My 2cents.   Sedona by Shimano is a pretty good reel. so are several others. I use spinning reels a lot and I like the Shimano brand.

But I use to have, back in the day, a U.S. Reel that had a very wide spool. That wide spool allowed me to cast small baits into next area code!

I can't find wide spool spinning reels but I'm still looking!

On 4/16/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tubejig said:

My 2cents.   Sedona by Shimano is a pretty good reel. so are several others. I use spinning reels a lot and I like the Shimano brand.

But I use to have, back in the day, a U.S. Reel that had a very wide spool. That wide spool allowed me to cast small baits into next area code!

I can't find wide spool spinning reels but I'm still looking!

Bps has the Johnny morris signature series that is a wide spool reel. They are ok.

Thanks brwnbass I will check them out. Last time I looked they weren't as wide as the old U.S. Reel but I appreciate the info.  The U.S. Reel wasn't very popular but the wide spool allowed me to cast small cranks a lot further. 

I will look at the JM series. Thanks again