Sign in to follow this  
Jbrown

Drop shot

What size sinker do you use for your drop shot rigs and why I use a quarter oz ninty percent of the time but some times I step down to a eighth in shallow water but I'm just curious if I'm going to light 

I'm no expert on the dropshot by any means, but I generally use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2, depending on depth, wind, etc. 

+1 on it depends.  If you're fishing really deep a heavier weight may help you feel the bottom and keep your bait in the strike zone.  Lighter weights are my pick in shallower water (say, <15').  Another thing to consider is the nature of the bottom.  If it's rocky or chunky a smaller weight usually doesn't get hung up as quickly as a heavier, bulkier weight.  Some will argue to the contrary, that smaller weights get hung up more easily.  The good news is there's no right or wrong to this.  Recommend using what you feel most comfortable and, most importantly, most confident with.

Tons of options out there.  The pinch-type line attachment on made-for dropshot weights allow you to free your rig from a snagged weight without ruining the entire rig.  Denser metals like tungsten give you a distinct click when they hit something hard, sometimes acting as an attractant.  Recommend playing around w/ different sizes, shapes, and weights.  Over time you'll come to rely on a certain set of hook, weight, and bait.  Confidence is everything!

Agree with Airborne 100%. I'm not a big fan of the ds rig, but I do utilize it from time to time. For me personally, I prefer the VMC spinshot hook with a 1/8-3/8 oz Reins tungsten weight on a 6'10" Loomis mag medium x fast shakeyhead rod with 30lb braid to the VMC & 8lb flouro from the hook to the weight. But it's all in what you have faith in. Confidence is 95% of fishing.

I tried fishing DS rigs when they first came on the scene and I could never find a comfort zone with them so after using them several times without success I quit fishing them. I do know some folks that have had succcess with them, I'm just not one of them.....:ph34r:

Edited by softbaitmaker

Thanks fellas I'm not have ing luck either have seen ppl catch nice fish behind me on this rig and just trying to figure it out 

I went night fishing on douglas with 423fishin a couple years ago, and watched him pull fish after fish out using a dropshot. I, on the other hand, never had a sniff, but I caught a couple on shakey. So it can definitely be a great rig, but that proves confidence is by far the most important factor

So many ways to fish a drop shot rig. I've not seen it mentioned yet, but you can upsize everything (lines, weights, baits) and turn the rig into a "power shot" rig. With cylindrical weights, it's real good to fish near or in lay-downs, comes thru the branches easily. 

Also, when using heavier weights in deep water, speed of descent is a factor. Quicker to the bottom maximizes efficiency. 

Another tip I've seen is to vary the length of leader between the weight and hook based on either water temp or action desired. More leader more action, less leader less action. 

The DS rig is all about versatility. Really no wrong way to fish it. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, softbaitmaker said:

I tried fishing DS rigs when they first came on the scene and I could never find a comfort zone with them so after using them several times without success I quit fishing them. I do know some folks that have had succcess with them, I'm just not one of them.....:ph34r:

Yup, same here.

A 1/4 oz weight, #2 owner mosquito hook & a zoom mag finesse worm may be a great post spawn Lm rig..... Or maybe not. Esp on douglas.:ph34r: