Sign in to follow this  
softbaitmaker

Skeeter

8 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

Nice Doug

Thanks Steve. I had one of my landing lights go out and could not find another as Peterson quit making them so went with these LED's. I don't think they will shine out as far as my original ones did but it says 1000+ feet will so guess that will half to do for now. I never run fast at night anyway and as long as they will light up channel markers and anything that may be floating I will be happy.

1000' should be more than enough. I've been thinking about headlights on mine. I've read it's best not to have em because they supposedly screw your night vision up, and blind people, but my eyes aren't quite so sharp in the dark nowadays 

5 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

1000' should be more than enough. I've been thinking about headlights on mine. I've read it's best not to have em because they supposedly screw your night vision up, and blind people, but my eyes aren't quite so sharp in the dark nowadays 

#1 on ruining your night vision, I'm sick of getting blinded by people running them constantly while on plane, I personally am against them unless used very sparingly. Just my two cents

The whole idea is to use them sparingly, not constant on. In fact, constant on is, if I'm not mistaken, illegal in TN.

11 minutes ago, Mountainman said:

In fact, constant on is, if I'm not mistaken, illegal in TN.

I thought the same thing, but I couldn't find it spelled out anywhere. I still believe it is tho. 

Nice, clean install.

This is what I have on mine. About $100 at basspro. It has a remote control that I wear around my neck and it moves left right, up down etc. I don't normally run it when I am driving at night, if I do just for a quick scan. Lights on at night does screw up your night vision.

45291.jpg

I am actually envious of Doug's step there on his trailer. I need to get a friend of mine to weld one on for me.

Edited by Karma

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone ever tried or known of someone to use night vision goggles? Just curious

1 hour ago, Karma said:

I am actually envious of Doug's step there on his trailer. I need to get a friend of mine to weld one on for me.

EZtroll makes one. It's about $100. Haven't tried it, probably won't, but figured I'd throw it out there. Think the even make one with some LEDs in it now to help with that dark problem.

4 hours ago, Mountainman said:

My boat came with the eztroll step on the trailer tongue. It's actually very handy.

+1. I have one as well and they make it much easier loading the boat.

Ok let me explain a few items. Thanks for the remark about my step. I had already fallen twice over the years tryng to climb over the deck and putting my foot on the trailer rail so B.T decided it was time to help me out and I took the Skeeter to his house and he fixed my falling issues...:cheers:.           As for my headlights, back years ago when everyone was running with hand held spotlights I do agree that it did indeed effect your night vision because as the night cooled and the mist began to raise off the water and you light that spotlight it was nothing but a bright glarring fog with zero vision. Why was that????? It was because the light was above the rub rail. Lights mounted below the rub rail show the water under the mist and there is no glare blinding you while trying to drive and see in front of you. Now as far as running with my headlights lit. Never happens,(well did once but other guy in Cabin Cruiser brought that on himself by pointing his spot light at me so I lit my lights up and stood the front up on my Skeeter and lit up his boat like a football field and he turned his off) but I have 2 light switches that control my lights. One is on-off and the second one in a momentary switch simlar to and old car horn so you push in and lights come on long enough to locate channel markers and then goes back off.

I learned something many years back that is far more important then lights at night, that is boat feel. There has been many times while running in the main channel at night trying to move to a new location you should always be paying attention to how your boat is riding and if that changes slow down and turn your lights on if you have them. There has been many times I have run up behind a much slower boat with no running lights on and had I not been paying attention to the fact that the ride of my boat had changed and I was beginning to run it that boats wake I would have possibly hit them. Some folks said they have great night vision and can see better with no lights on. Maybe they can but what about all the other boats on the water DUMBAZZ?????

4 hours ago, Mountainman said:

My boat came with the eztroll step on the trailer tongue. It's actually very handy.

I agree it'd be handy. It's the $100 price tag that keeps me away. My boat has a rubber grip pad on the tongue that works pretty well as long as it's dry. If it gets wet it's a bit slippery, but for the most part I don't have any issues. I'll probably end up wet my next time out just for saying that tho haha. I bought the EZ Troll recessed foot pedal tray for my old Stratos and that thing made a huge difference! Believe it showed up in two days and with the videos on their website was a breeze to install. Even got a free shirt. Top notch company from my dealings with them. If my Nitro didn't already have the TM foot pedal recessed, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the tray again. 

Back on the night lights, I have a spot light mounted up front similar to Karma's but sits just on top of the front deck in a quick connect mount. I have it hooked to a toggle switch and turn it on and off in short bursts. I also have a cigarette lighter hand held spot light that I blast the banks left and right since the front one is just straight ahead. 

13 minutes ago, Peck said:

I agree it'd be handy. It's the $100 price tag that keeps me away. My boat has a rubber grip pad on the tongue that works pretty well as long as it's dry. If it gets wet it's a bit slippery, but for the most part I don't have any issues. I'll probably end up wet my next time out just for saying that tho haha. I bought the EZ Troll recessed foot pedal tray for my old Stratos and that thing made a huge difference! Believe it showed up in two days and with the videos on their website was a breeze to install. Even got a free shirt. Top notch company from my dealings with them. If my Nitro didn't already have the TM foot pedal recessed, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy the tray again. 

Back on the night lights, I have a spot light mounted up front similar to Karma's but sits just on top of the front deck in a quick connect mount. I have it hooked to a toggle switch and turn it on and off in short bursts. I also have a cigarette lighter hand held spot light that I blast the banks left and right since the front one is just straight ahead. 

Well, I don't know what kind of Vapor or mist ya'll get raising off your lakes at night up there but they can be blinding down on our lakes by about 9PM and lights under the rub rail prevents 99.9% of the glare. I don't know how well these new lights are going to work until first time out at night but I hope they work great...........B)

8 minutes ago, softbaitmaker said:

Well, I don't know what kind of Vapor or mist ya'll get raising off your lakes at night up there but they can be blinding down on our lakes by about 9PM and lights under the rub rail prevents 99.9% of the glare. I don't know how well these new lights are going to work until first time out at night but I hope they work great...........B)

It can be a problem, but most of the time I don't think a lower light below the rail would be any better. That being said I haven't tried it, so maybe it would help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peck said:

It can be a problem, but most of the time I don't think a lower light below the rail would be any better. That being said I haven't tried it, so maybe it would help.

The way I figured it out back years ago was riding and fishing with a friend of mine at night and all he had was a hand held spot light so I hung it over the side of the boat down below the rub rail and we could see channel marker reflectors 200 yards ahead of us and clearly. Then I brought it back above the rub rail and it was blinding again. A week later he had under the rub rail lights installed and it made world of difference when we went fishing that next Friday night so that was when I put mine on and have loved them ever since..................:cheers:

Looks good Doug. I have a GoBee light like Karma pictured but really only use it if it's foggy out to creep along the bank. Draws way too many bugs if you leave it on any amount of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trackertxw175 said:

Looks good Doug. I have a GoBee light like Karma pictured but really only use it if it's foggy out to creep along the bank. Draws way too many bugs if you leave it on any amount of time.

I can really believe it about the bugs. I never run my lights while idling near a bank but then I am seldom near the bank fishing. My boat is normally a long cast away from the bank in about 85% of my fishing. I figure that is why I put all that line on my reels and buy reels capable of casting that far. I have always been one of these people that will cast to the bank and fish almost all the way back to the boat before retrieving it back to the boat. I have caught a lot of fish that will follow the bait and not hit it until it makes that upward move and then they will strike it.

I will share something else with folks about bugs and lights I have learned from another Old timer, Yea older than me............lol. He said if I would hook a flasher into that circuit when I turned it in the anchor position the back light would flash and it would slow down the bugs coming to the light. I asked Game Warden about having a white flashing anchor light and he said as long as it lights up every few seconds it would be legal. Believe it or not it does limit the amount of bugs that were attracted to the back of the boat last year.