Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Loud Mariner

Most of y'all have heard my boat at one time or another and realize how loud it is. Once it comes up outta the hole it's deafening. Just wondering if anyone might know why it's so loud and how to quiet it down

If bet at some point someone has drilled out the holes in the exhaust tuner. Sounds to me like you need to upgrade......????

if you have the regular midsection, they have removed the inner liner inside the down housing.  they usually drill holes in the down housing at the cavitation plate.  you can feel for these in the top groove above gearcase.  the inner liner can be put back in and it will be as quiet as stock original.  if you have the offshore midsection with open snout out the back, not much you can do but change midsections.

I would be willing to bet that someone has pulled the exhaust cans out of the motor and instead of exhausting through the prop below the water, it is exhausting above the water line. back in the late 80's I had a 175 Mariner on DV185 Hydrosport and popped it. Need to get it fixed fairly quick so went down to Freddie Blackburn in Manchester for help. He drag races boats and always helped me out when he could. It was racing season so he didn't have time to fix mine so he and his crew did a quick change and he hung a last years drag motor on the back of my boat so I could fish. The motor he hung on the Hydrosport was the one he won the points championship with a year earlier and it generated about 290 HP. He just told me to be careful with it and don't blow it up. There was only a  few problems I had to overcome.

1) had to wear ear plugs cause cans were out, very loud and it sounded like a Harley with a stroker kit in it on idle!

2 Never hammer down when doing a Hole Shot cause never new where the boat would land when it came down!

3 make sure I fill both saddle tanks on the boat on every trip to the lake cause it would pass everything on the lake except a Marina that sold fuel if I did'nt fill it up on the way. 

I was thrilled when Freddie called me up in the fall to tell me he had my Mariner done and he wanted his motor back and I was thrilled to let him have it back. Motor build didn't cost me anything. Mercury back then was supplying him with 5 Black Max Mercs crate motors as sponsorship and he didn't use but 3 that year so he just hung a stock Merc on the back and put the Mariner Cowl on it. Right after that I went the Skeeter Yamaha package boats.

14 hours ago, Mountainman said:

If bet at some point someone has drilled out the holes in the exhaust tuner. Sounds to me like you need to upgrade......????

LOL 

20 hours ago, SteveHTN said:

Most of y'all have heard my boat at one time or another and realize how loud it is. Once it comes up outta the hole it's deafening. Just wondering if anyone might know why it's so loud and how to quiet it down

Dont do a thing.... that thing sounds sexy!!  I told you I love how them old Mariners sound screaming up the lake!!! :)

a 2.5 merc turning 6k+ is one of the few things that still turns my crank.  they sure sound better than the big blocks bellering up the lake sounding like a bull moose.

2 hours ago, whj812 said:

Dont do a thing.... that thing sounds sexy!!  I told you I love how them old Mariners sound screaming up the lake!!! :)

Haha. It does sound mean as Heck. Rings the ears some though