Sign in to follow this  
brwnbass

RedFin

Anybody throw one of these monsters at night? I keep hearing about people using them on norris & cherokee to catch walleye, bass & stripers at night. Ive tried the smaller sizes with very little luck. But what im hearing is that the big one is the one to throw. Only thing is, the big one is like 7" long. You'd need a dang flippin stick to throw one. I hear all you do is slow roll it & hang on. Any tips or tricks? Thanks.

I throw them for Striper, bigger pole helps but not a necessity. Thunderstick is good too, smallmouth will also hit them in the morning on Norris 

Back many moons ago I use to wade fish with some friends use to wade out on a long rocky point next to Percy Priest Dam every spring and get in about knee deep water in hip waders and most of them threw Red Fins for the big Rock fish(Stripers) but I chose to be a little different and I threw a

#13 Floating Rapala. When the fish began slowing down on the Red Fins they seemed to continue eating that Floating Rapala a little while longer each time we went. We could cast a little passed the tip of the point drop off and we would catch more fish than guys in boats out off the point.  This was back when they first put the Rock Fish in Percy Priest lake back in ealry 70's. If you hooked a really big one you better begin backing up slowing to get close to the bank. I saw one guy get pulled down by one about 45 lbs. He got it in but had to leave after that because he was all wet and it was still pretty cool out weather wise in the evenings. It was fun catching those big things and yea that was back in the days when I did fish with big spinning gear for them and Catfish. Never ate one but some folks say they did. I have eaten a few Hybrids over the years cooked on the grill and they are good.

Clean them and remove blood Line, then put a stick of butter cut in chunks in along with selected spices, sliced onion and bell pepper, wrap in aluminum foil and put it on the grill and slow cook it for about 31/2 hours. Meat nice and white would almost fall of the bones. Serve with home fries and pig out. 

I did learn something I did not know but came in handy in later years. I had a buddy at TWRA tell me an easy way to catch Hybrids I didn't know. He told me I could catch Hybrids on Chicken livers near the dam in the middle of the day. He said that Chicken livers is what they are fed in the hatcheries during their growing time so one day I went down to the dam with some livers and a lawn chair and couple rods and sure enough I caught about 7 or 8 in about 2 hours. Took one about 5 lbs home for the grill and set the rest free. Haven't done it since I began focusing on bass but did have some good times back then............................:cheers:

Not the first time I've heard of chicken livers for hybrids, they do that on Lake Hopatcong in NJ, but it is the first time I've heard a logical explanation. I've always shook my head and chuckled when someone would say chicken livers. Makes a little more sense now. 

I always used a floating rogue for the technique you are talking about clown color to be exact we would in deed just move them fast enough to make them wiggle but we were mainly walleye fishing but caught some really nice smallies that way to and the occasion rock fish but I would use the 5 in one and at night it was blue and silver hope this helps 

The reason i asked about the big red fin is because that is all i hear about from people night fishing on norris for walleye & that's what im looking for.

3 hours ago, brwnbass said:

The reason i asked about the big red fin is because that is all i hear about from people night fishing on norris for walleye & that's what im looking for.

I don't fish at night so I'm no help

7 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I don't fish at night so I'm no help

You don't know what you are missing! 

You got that right them eyes sure do taste good and you can catch on a spook to you lust go slow and steady with the dog

I may try it one day but i think I'm already too old to be up at night. Are there any napping stations located around the lake?

Edited by rusty50576
  • Like 1

Back up until a few years ago in the Fall of the year a few buddies and I would go down to Old Hickory Dam and fish the tail waters from the bank from about 2 hours before Sundown till dark. I would fish a #11 Floating Gold Blackback Rapala and other guys would fish other baits and all of us would take a limit of eyes every time we went. They would run down there for about a month when they were generating and we would be down about 100 yards from the dam where the whirlpools were churing up the bait fish. We would try and go about everyday weather permitting and had Walleye in the freezer all winter long. Don't recall anyone fishing a Red Fin but not sayng some didn't.

2 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I may try it one day but i think I'm already too old to be up at night. Are there any napping stations located around the lake?

Don't feel bad my friend, That is what stopped me from going in the Fall cause it was a tough trott down the boulders and rocks to get down the bank to fish. Some of the younger guys still bring me enough fish for me to have Walleye a few times during the winter. 

3 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

There's nothing like it Rusty. No jet fleas, water is usually a lot calmer, its a lot more peaceful in general plus you can catch some wickedly good fish on the night bite 

47 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

There's nothing like it Rusty. No jet fleas, water is usually a lot calmer, its a lot more peaceful in general plus you can catch some wickedly good fish on the night bite 

I've tried it a few times and I can only get a bite on a worm near a lighted dock. But that was back when I was capable of staying awake at least until midnight 

Edited by rusty50576

12 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

Yessir. Just pull the boat up on the bank & catch some zzzzs. Done it many times. Its usually very peaceful & easy to sleep. Or you can do what i do. When i want to go night fish, ill catch a long nap after work on friday evening & go to the lake later, usually around midnight. That gives everything time to settle down & the fish to get going.

50 minutes ago, brwnbass said:

Yessir. Just pull the boat up on the bank & catch some zzzzs. Done it many times. Its usually very peaceful & easy to sleep. Or you can do what i do. When i want to go night fish, ill catch a long nap after work on friday evening & go to the lake later, usually around midnight. That gives everything time to settle down & the fish to get going.

Ever see any of Wes's UFOs out there?

Believe it or not, i have. I saw an some "space junk" on douglas one night. Went right over my head & landed in the lake. Come to find out that nasa was tracking it & they thought it was part of an old russian satellite. I have had several things happen on norris. Its a hot bed of strange activity. :ph34r: