Sign in to follow this  
423fishin

1995 evinrude tilt and trim

So today I took the boat out for a couple hours and noticed at bout 3-5 mph when I trimmed down it made somewhat of a noise that it normally doesn't make, but trimming up it didn't make that noise. So I gave it WOT and as I'm getting it on plane i noticed it wasent really trimming up like normal, when I say normal I can trim it up to much and the front bounces then I trim down just a little and it's where it needs to be. But It wouldent trim enough to start bouncing but it was trimming up enough to get to the normal MPH air normally runs. I had my passenger watch the motor to see if it was coming up any and it wasent but it would trim down. I'm guessing this has something to do with that noise it was making at 3-5 mph when trimming down. But when the boat is not movin it trims up and down just fine and even on trailer it acts completely normal it only acts up when there is pressure against the motor. Where should I start looking to figure out what's going on? Thanks in advance

Edited by 423fishin

The trim has up  and down relay  could be going bad  or it could be a loose wire from the tilt trim switch  or  the fluid could be low in the pumps mine was a loose wire coming from shifter tilt trim switch hope this helps u 

• Like 1

Being that it's making a funny noise, I'd say you have air in your system....which means low fluid or a leak in the system. Test it on trailer by putting pressure against it with your foot & have someone run the trim. 

• Like 1

I'm w/ Mtn Man.  Look at the steering slide for excessive oil.  Also check the face of the piston to see if it's damp w/ oil.  These seals fail often - this might the source of the air getting into your system.

Is this the original tilt/trim motor? 

• Like 1

I'll have to look for leaks later today, 31airborne I'm gonna say yeah it's the original, I spoke with sextons  today and I was told it sounds like the brushes in the trim motor are getting weak with it being 22 years old it wouldent surprise him if that fixes it.

Yep, that's where I was going - brushes.  Over time moisture does build up in the hydraulic fluid.  The brushes will get a lil gnarly.  The indicator for me was your description of how it works intermittently.  Mine did something similar, ending up replacing it.

If you're gonna take this to someone to be fixed the techs at Watson's (Bluff City) are super.

Well I just got home and checked everything out, I don't see anything out of the normal, no leaks. Mountainman I stood on the lower unit all 171lbs of me and ran it up no noise and then ran it down and it made the noise

Edited by 423fishin

Well I hate to admit it but my Yamaha has had a noise in it intermittingly since about 2000 and been back to dealer several times with it. It's like having a toothache till you get to the dentist and then it goes away. The dealer never could get the trim to make a noise when they had it. They took it to the lake and ran it under water pressure and it never made a sound. Next time I went fishing it made the noise. Sometimes on trimming up and other times on trimming down and sometimes not at all but trim has never failed to function properly.  The dealer made a note of it on my warranty records and told me that if it ever failed to work it would get fixed under the warranty even if it was 10 years later but it keeps right on working...................:blink:

Well I took a trip up to Sextons and got it to make the noise and was told it's air in the system was told to bleed and fill the system and till the noise goes away. If that doesn't fix it, there is two check valves on the back side and the whole unit will have to come out to get to them they'll need to be cleaned out