Sign in to follow this  
Riverman1

Have a tough time

First off I have fished East TN my whole life. 12 years ago my fishing partner died of cancer three weeks after finding out. When he passed I stopped fishing for about 8 years or so. I decided I wanted to start back one day and decided I would buy me a little river boat and I started fishing the Chucky and over the years have figured out how to catch them. Well my family has grown over the years and now have 4 kids that all wanna go fishing,so I ended up buy a bigger boat. Now after being off the lakes for so long and only fishing the river man I'm having one heck of a time trying to figure things out. 

Lakes obviously fish different than the rivers, but some of the same ideas still hold true, like whenever current is moving, they'll be near that current, on the slack side of structure, generally speaking. If you can look at a topo map and find all the different little rivers, creeks, etc, on a lake, they'll generally be around those highways, so to speak. Feel free to ask for advice on the specific lake you're fishing.  

The  two lakes I will be on the most will be Douglas and Cherokee. I'll take a trip to the fort if I'm not gonna fish long. I'm buying a Lawrence unit to see if that will help any. All my tackle is smaller stuff like 4 inch worms, tube, jigs and shallow running crank baits. I went to Douglas last week and fished a jig,tube worm and I didn't get a single bit. I'm a slowww fishing guy. 

1 hour ago, Riverman1 said:

I'm a slowww fishing guy. 

Hard to beat the ole ball and chain this time of year and it definitely fits your style of fishing. Through the years a 4" finesse worm is also hard to beat. As far as electronics go- prepare to learn them and be proficient in using them. Learning to fish offshore won't come to you overnight and it's an art to read what's taking place on your graph/down scan/side scan. There are guys that never make a cast practicing this time of year and spend it glued to the screen idling over ledges looking for the right schools. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and fish bigger baits/techniques.

8 hours ago, BulletDeuce said:

Hard to beat the ole ball and chain this time of year and it definitely fits your style of fishing. Through the years a 4" finesse worm is also hard to beat. As far as electronics go- prepare to learn them and be proficient in using them. Learning to fish offshore won't come to you overnight and it's an art to read what's taking place on your graph/down scan/side scan. There are guys that never make a cast practicing this time of year and spend it glued to the screen idling over ledges looking for the right schools. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and fish bigger baits/techniques.

+1000000      it is a very intimidating task to learn how to interpret what you see on your graph and equate that to catching those fish, but its time well worth the investment.