It there anyone here that has a Helix 9si mounted on a Skeeter or any Helix side imaging transducer mounted on the transome of a Skeeter Boat that can take a picture of where it is mounted on your boat? My Son In law's boss bought him one as a bonus and I am trying to figure out where the Transducer mounts. My Eagle Transducer mounts much lower then any pictures I can find on this big Transducer. Any help would be greatly appreciated..........:unsure:

Jackplate is a good place to mount one Doug, unless he wants to use sonar on plane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveHTN said:

Jackplate is a good place to mount one Doug, unless he wants to use sonar on plane. 

That would be fine Steve but there is no jack plate on my Skeeter. The motor is bolted directly to Transome. They didn't put the 130's on Jack Plates to often back then when I got the boat.............lol

1 hour ago, NobbyNobbs said:

My LSS transducer is mounted even with the bottom about half way between motor an side

Well that is my delima Nobby. The rear transome on Skeeters are not made like most other boats. Here is a picture of the rear of my Skeeter when the Eagle transducer is now mounted that will be replaced with the new one for the Helix.

001.JPG

Looks a lot like my GIII glass.. if you don't get it done by Thursday evening I'll shoot you a pic of mine. GIII is just a skeeter with a different name back then

IMG_4997.JPG

I'd mount it right around that area Doug, assuming it's below the water line when floating. SI and DI won't work on plane in any event, and IMO standard sonar is kinda useless on plane as well. I'd rather the transducer be protected, but that's my .02

What you'll need to do is find the water line on the boat... where it sits when fishing. Make sure its level across the boat... level is very important on SI imaging. You'll need to mount the transducer below the water line but above the water when on plane. Also make sure the motor or other obstructions left and right of the transducer are not blocking it... you need a straight path from the side of the transducer to the bank in other words. If the motor blocks the path when it's trimmed down, you can always trim it up a little when you're scanning. If not, you'll have a broken image a jet trail on your screen where it's blocked. The transducer does not need to be in the water on plane... the drag of running higher speeds and the chance of knocking them off isn't good on them and they are expensive to replace. Buy a sitter and a separate 2D transducer to epoxy inside the hull for traditional sonar.

Some things to consider... the left or right path can be blocked and it still work. You'll just lose the portion of the scanning area which is obstructed. Some guys do mount the transducer low enough to be in the water on plane. I don't and don't advise it due to cost of replacing them. Knock a few off and you'll see why. With as much trash as we get in the spring here it's easy for a limb to pop up and hit them at lower speeds. I've broken a small 2D transducer that way.  They make a transducer saver to help with limbs and would recommend one in your case. Try use epoxy to secure some kind of mount... I've seen people use a hard plastic kitchen cutting board square, to the boat instead of drilling holes in the boat to mount the transducer. It'll get it off the transom a little further and if it doesn't work in the location you don't have holes to fix when you move it. I'm sure you can Google "SI transducer locations" and see pics and get some ideas. Like above, level with the water line is very important. Left to right level and also front to back level... sit the boat out and adjust the jack position up and down until the water line of the side of the boat is level and then check the back... I'm sure you know but using a 4 foot level or longer is best. 

Thanks to everyone for your input and we have figured out with all your help where to place the transducer. He had bought Ramp mount to put it on but had to take it back and get a bigger one because of the weight of the unit. It weighs about as much as my 32 inch Vizio TV. Now as for me I probably won't even turn it on when I am fishing by myself. I pretty much know both lakes I fish and was fishing them long before the electronics came out from Topo maps and caught fish. Yes, I will  be the first to tell you I am old fashion when it comes to some things and that is one of them. He is moving my Eagle 320 to the front on the trolling motor and that is the one I will use when I am fishing contours and ledges. Again thanks to all..................:cheers:

On 5/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, softbaitmaker said:

Thanks to everyone for your input and we have figured out with all your help where to place the transducer. He had bought Ramp mount to put it on but had to take it back and get a bigger one because of the weight of the unit. It weighs about as much as my 32 inch Vizio TV. Now as for me I probably won't even turn it on when I am fishing by myself. I pretty much know both lakes I fish and was fishing them long before the electronics came out from Topo maps and caught fish. Yes, I will  be the first to tell you I am old fashion when it comes to some things and that is one of them. He is moving my Eagle 320 to the front on the trolling motor and that is the one I will use when I am fishing contours and ledges. Again thanks to all..................:cheers:

Doug that will change when you get out and see what you can see with those things.  I loved my Helix5SI on my other boat.  

I'm using the Garmin units on the new boat and are fantastic as well.

Doug, just give it a try a few times. You might surprise yourself

My Son In Law said he would show me how to use it first time we get out on the lake so I guess we will see if I like it or not then....................:D