Sign in to follow this  
bluejig

Prep for nite fishing

What do you fellers do to get prepare for nite fishing? Any special projects going on with anybody's boats? This upcoming summer nite fishing.any good tips to share with everyone and good lures 

Obviously I check all of the extra lights, like head lamps, black lights, spot light, compartment lights, etc. Then if I don't already have it loaded on, I change the line on my reels to fluorescing braid to work with the black lights. Rearrange the tackle for more night time/summertime lures. As for tips, well number 1 IMO is be extra safe and careful at night. Don't run anywhere near as fast. I generally wear the life jacket while fishing after dark. Darker colors like black and purples tend to work better than lighter colors. Generally, a more steady, slower retrieve, that a fish can hone in on the vibrations of, tends to be better at night. Bigger baits tend to be good as well. 

I just ordered the new LED deck lighting for my boat today. I am really looking forward to pulling a couple over nighters on Dale Hollow and Cordell Hull this summer.

Still have not decided how I want to do the UV lighting on the outside of the boat. I went with red interior lighting so it will not effect my night vision as badly.

I didn't do a lot of night fishing last summer but commenting on what Steve said, I never take my life jacket off while fishing at night. Part of the reason I am adding deck lighting is so I can see on the boat. If your night vision aint that good and you take one misstep, its over the side for you. Not to mention these TVA lakes always tend to have debris floating around in them, hitting something and throwing yourself overboard could have fatal results. Always safety first while fishing at night.

Other than that...

• headlamp
  • spare batteries for headlamp
  • bug spray..... lots of it.
  • battery booster (in case you kill your starting battery from running the lights)

everything else I need is already in the boat as far as baits and other safety equipment.

Fluorescent line - woulda never thought of that.  Brilliant.  Just brilliant.

My greatest fear about night fishing is the dood who doesn't pay attention.  He's out there tooling around in his 'toon or rec boat, thinking no one else is out there at nite.  No light is bright enuff to wake this dood up.  All the safety gear in the world won't spare you from this dood.  To that end, I recommend doing a lil map study to avoid potential high traffic areas.

I work 6-7 days a week most of the nice weather months so I have to sleep at night ?. I'm already looking forward to winter....... but!!! If I was going night fishing I would get a few jitterbugs. Old timers around here say that is the way to go

Edited by rusty50576

I can't add much to what has already been said except always safety first. Back in my younger years I never wore a life jacket when fishing. Now I have a pair of suspenders with auto/manual activation and wear it all the time I am fishing and wear my main vest when big motor is running. I don't use Florescent Braid but I do use Florescent Co-Polymer 14 to 20 lb Sufix Line. As far as baits Steven is right on with the darker color baits. I use alot of Green pumpkin Pepper, Black and Black grape soft baits, and of course my Road Kill Craws are my # 1 color go to bait. As far as chase baits which I seldom use at night I will throw a Black Buzz bait with black blades and skirts and a black grub trailer. They work great on long points when I fish them.

As far as lighting goes. A good cap light is a necessary item to have, good black lights are a must, as far as a bug repellent Avons "Skin So Soft" is by far the best I have found to use. I now have deck lighting all over the boat which helps when moving around getting ready to fish but I turn them off when fishing. I know many folks like to turn off their running lights once they sit down on a spot to fish. I never turn off my anchor light on the rear of the boat even if I am a long distance from main channels and back in coves. There are dumb people that will come running wide open all the way to the back of pockets and coves.

Just be careful and enjoy the night as you won't be dealing with the jet ski's and almost no pleasure boats, but an occasional Pontoon might show up.

Thanks  u all for input just trying get ready for nite bite i been one time this spring ?

@31Airborne definitely agree with you about the other guy. A good spotlight near your hand and a working horn seem to be about all you can do besides make sure your nav lights are well seen

The boats I worry about the most are the ones that are running slow in main channel and don't have a back light on or working. I don't run with my head lights on but just turn them on to check channel marker reflectors. After almost running over a few jon boats with catfish anglers in them I have learned to stay focused on how my boat feels when I am running from place to place at night. I never run but half speed and if I feel any difference in how my boat feels and should feel I turn my headlights on. 8 times out of 10 I will light up a jon boat or another kind of boat in front of me with no lights on. I slow down and move past them slowly and tell them that they need to turn their lights on. It really makes me mad when I say that and they turn their running lights on and they light up. That is just stupidity................jmho 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, SteveHTN said:

@31Airborne definitely agree with you about the other guy. A good spotlight near your hand and a working horn seem to be about all you can do besides make sure your nav lights are well seen

Case in point.....my morning commute takes me across little Devault bridge. At 5:45 this morning, there was a boat(couldn't tell what style, but looked like a jon boat) heading toward Muddy Creek without a light one on. Middle of the channel, just tooling along. For those of you late risers, its just starting to crack first light at 5:45. If I hadn't caught the street light shining on their wake, I wouldn't have seen the boat.