Sign in to follow this  
Greenpumpkin

Registering a boat in Tennessee

We're moving to TN later this year. I have a boat & trailer I've owned since 2003 and it's titled and registered in IL currently. What is the registration process for TN - boat and trailer (is there a title for the motor - I don't have one currently).  Typical expense?

Thanks!

Sam

3 hours ago, Greenpumpkin said:

We're moving to TN later this year. I have a boat & trailer I've owned since 2003 and it's titled and registered in IL currently. What is the registration process for TN - boat and trailer (is there a title for the motor - I don't have one currently).  Typical expense?

Thanks!

Sam

Tennessee does not require you to register your boat trailer. If you plan on taking the boat out of the state, its advised as other states have different laws regarding trailer registration.

I have never heard of a motor registration....

I would take your current registration, and proof of purchase and proof that you did pay taxes on it when you bought it to your local county clerk and inform them you are looking to register your boat in Tennessee. They will give you all the proper forms to fill out and give you a temporary registration to hold in your boat. The cost of this varies from county to county I think anyway. A few years ago I bought an old used boat for $1100 and I think I spent about $300 total for all of what I am about to tell you.

You are then going to have to mail the form they give you back to the TWRA in Nashville along with a check or money order for whatever category your boat falls into length wise and how many years you want to register it.

for example.. most bass boats 16 to 26 feet ...  1 year - $25,  2 years - $48 and 3 years - $71 I also believe there is an initial registration fee tacked onto that as well.

After you mail that in, they will process it (at their own leisure) and send you back your boats registration in a few weeks. You can still boat before hand, just be sure you have the temp registration they give you in the county clerks office on your boat.

After the initial registration, you can just visit www.tn.gov/twra and renew your boats registration from there online quick and easy.

Edited by Karma