Sign in to follow this  
Jamie De Vera

Night time spinnerbaits

So after a recent post I got to thinking about night time spinnerbaits. I think I've thrown them once with no luck. Heard people say it's awesome and I'm sure it is. We have 1oz ledgebusters that we got for summer time but are in my opinion for more daytime use. Here is my question; What size is the appropriate size to throw at night? 

Anywhere from 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz. Depends on where the fish are & what structure youre fishing with it.

I grew up in Alabama fishing the Coosa River lakes and the night time spinner bait was the go to bait for sure. You always had to play with the retrieve to see what was going to be the key that night, sometimes slow roll it, sometimes yo yoing was the ticket. On nights with a bright moon I would switch to a white  spinner bait with a single colorado blade. Sizmic made a small bubble gum colored frog that was a great trailer for the white blade, and on the black ones I would swap up between black and blue trailers and red ones. The zoom super chunk in ruby red was my favorite when they wanted it yo yoed.  Punisher Lures makes a nice bream colored spinnerbait with a red blade thats I used with a lot of luck on grassy lakes like Guntersville and Lay Lake. This is my first year in Tennessee and so far I've had to relearn how to fish to pull a few out of Watauga so I'm sure night time fishing will be the same, but I  know that when I'm out there and one of those late night storms start rolling in and the wind picks up I'll be throwing that blade until my arm falls off, those are the nights when you  might get 3 or 4 fish before they break your spinnerbait in half from hitting it so hard.

Pretty much the same sizes you would throw during the day, Jamie.  Black skirts and copper blades!

I love a spinnerbait at night. I use either a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz depending on depth & blade size. If its more than 15' i go with 3/4 or If i want a big thumping blade like a #6 or bigger colorado. Black & red is the go to color & i use a pork chunk, but it is getting hard to find pork. I have been using a rage craw alot & do ok with it. I started making my own spinnerbaits this winter & i am experimenting with some different blades like the Oklahoma blades. They should work well for the lift & drop method.

Ive thrown it a bunch.  Used to catch them on it good.  In the last 4 years on Norris ive only caught 1 or 2 on it at night.  IDK why but it seems like they wont bite it for me anymore.

Go heavier & fish it deeper, Wes. I've learned quite a bit the past few years because I was having the same problem. Couldn't catch em like I used to. 

2 hours ago, brwnbass said:

I love a spinnerbait at night. I use either a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz depending on depth & blade size. If its more than 15' i go with 3/4 or If i want a big thumping blade like a #6 or bigger colorado. Black & red is the go to color & i use a pork chunk, but it is getting hard to find pork. I have been using a rage craw alot & do ok with it. I started making my own spinnerbaits this winter & i am experimenting with some different blades like the Oklahoma blades. They should work well for the lift & drop method.

Pork chunk or rage craw?? I take it you don't fish it like you normally would?

Gosh yall use big baits!!!!!! I normally use a 3/8th oz bait with a Tab Tail Grub on it and fish it on long tapering points with descent luck if a big Flat Head Catfish does not hit it and destroy it. That has been my biggest delima with blade baits at night is Catfish..................:angry: 

Am I the only person that has never fished with a spinnerbait day or night? Wouldn't know were to start haha

55 minutes ago, Storm16 said:

Am I the only person that has never fished with a spinnerbait day or night? Wouldn't know were to start haha

Dude you're missing out. Spinnerbaits are the chit when they are on it! 

That may be true but, I've never thrown one day or night idk size color blade style line type when were I'd have to jus go buy some and throw em  till I found something lol

Generally it's like any other bait. Clearer water calls for more subtlety. Dirtier water more flash and vibration. Bright, calm days- more subtle, overcast/night or windy days- more bold-vibration. But that's not set in stone. Spinnerbaits can be extremely versatile. You need to give em a spin

I can't seem to go wrong with a BPS Lazer eye chatruese and white double Willow blades in ½oz. Best spinnerbait I've used was a custom one my dad made and I cut it off to have more duplicated and never saw it again. 

Night time spinnerbaits is what I have a hard time with. Everyone I've fished with has whacked em but I can't seem to buy a bite with the darn things. 

Wish I could help, i force myself to throw them all the time  and I have caught a couple dinks in a couple decades, mostly daytime fishing 

Edited by rusty50576

There are a few things to think about when discussing the nite time spinnerbaits. First, its not a daytime spinnerbait. Not saying a NT blade won't catch em' in the day under certain conditions, like cold muddy water, but a true nite time blade is specialized for just that purpose. A lot goes into a good nite time spinnerbait. Just like any other bait, a good hook is a must, 5/0 gammy is a great choice IMO. Next is the wire, stainless wire last longer and doesn't rust, but steel wire catches more fish, piano wire works best IMO, also while we're on the subject of wire, the line tie is very important, a closed line tie is a MUST!!! A big SM will wreck a spinnerbait with a R-bend...whether you like a twisted eye or a safety pin eye is up to you but save yourself the trouble and aggravation, and ditch the R-bend. Skirts are more of a personal preference thing to me, lots of options, rubber, living rubber, silicon, even hair or feathers. I think most guys go with a silicon or rubber skirt. Now, to the heart of the matter, swivel and blade. Swivel, Sampo ball bearing, size is up to you most guys use a #1 or #2 but get a Sampo! Blades, again, ya got lots of options but the heart and soul of a night time spinnerbait is a thumping blade, so the willow leaf blade is out. Use Colorado or Indiana blades or a modified version of them. Most guys use France or Pickens blades around here, but is you can find the old diamond blades....buy them!!! A couple other things about nite time spinnerbaits, they are heavier than daytime blades (5/8 to 1,1/4 oz.)due to the way ya fish them....slow rolling on the bottom in most cases.in the daytime ya gonna throw a SB at a bush or tree, or something you either can see or know is there making relatively short cast. With a nite time blade ya gonna make long cast on flats, or points or parallel casts to stepper drop offs. Also, a lot of guys, myself included, have went to braid for Nite time blades, not because ya have a hard time feeling the bite, but because ya have much better feedback with braid. With mono I couldn't always feel what the bait was doing, if I was bumping the bottom or how fast the blade was turning. When I made the switch to braid I got bit a lot more cause I could feel exactly what my bait was doing. And i can tell ya I was going way too fast with mono. The braid made me slow down and that got me bit more, and the 6" hookset is nice too. Lastly, we live in the mecca of custom lure makers and there are guys around here that make awesome nite time spinnerbaits and even the best nite time blades at bass pro are horrible so buy from the guys that live here and make baits for here, it'll save you a lot of time, aggravation, and in most cases money too. Hope this helps

Edited by GlitterRocket
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie De Vera said:

Thank you Mr. Silcox! Could you elaborate on the France and Pickens blades?? I've honestly never heard of those. 

Pickens is a elongated Colorado blade the France is a Indiana style blade with a ridge down the center. Both have somewhat of a cult following. You can get both along with the sampo swivels at toms. I think bucks -n- bass has pickens, and Watson's and just fishing both have the France blade.

Now that's some outstanding info. I never gave spinnerbaits much thought other than color, size, and type of blade. 

13 minutes ago, SteveHTN said:

Now that's some outstanding info. I never gave spinnerbaits much thought other than color, size, and type of blade. 

And that's why you stay outta bass pro and buy local... Guys around here that make nite time spinnerbaits have put the thought and time on the water in for ya, they want you to catch fish. And if you catch fish you'll be back to buy more. their not just trying to make a sale with a flashy package.

19 minutes ago, GlitterRocket said:

And that's why you stay outta bass pro and buy local... Guys around here that make nite time spinnerbaits have put the thought and time on the water in for ya, they want you to catch fish. And if you catch fish you'll be back to buy more. their not just trying to make a sale with a flashy package.

When Joey talks about a night time blade, I suggest you listen. He's forgotten more about slow rolling a spinnerbait than most of us will ever know. 

Best nighttime blade ever made... ultra vibe.

FB_IMG_1496100702842.jpg

Edited by SilverFox

great discussion.  many people don't understand the impact of blade shape, weight, size, material, color, finish, and cup form.  add personal preference to all this and spinnerbait choice gets very complicated.  and it seems the fish sometimes prefer different blades on different lakes.

i wasn't aware Pickens made a colorado blade.