Sign in to follow this  
SteveHTN

Ranger

Curious everyone's opinion on Ranger boats. We've had lots of discussion about Triton, Phoenix, Legend, Nitro, etc. but I've not seen a lot of talk on Ranger. I know they're higher than Bob Marley, but I wonder opinions on construction quality, layout, all of that

I think your right on with the pricing but don't know if the quality that they once had is still there or are people just paying for the name but not getting the same quality of boat they once did.........jmho

I've talked to guys who swear they are the ultimate boat to fish out of. Not the fastest, but the most stable fishing platform. Personally I still think your paying for a nam. Also no telling what will happens with quality now that BPS bought them out.

I have owned 3 and would not hesitate to own another . The only reason I sold my last one was cause of motor probloms I got tired of dealing with . Great fishing platform , slow compaired to other boats of the same size and the quality is still great with the new ownership . Resale value is second to none and you can still get a lot of things (for older boats ) from Ranger just from the HIN . I now own a 2016 Triton 18 TRX  and love it . 

Don't think BPS has owned em long enough to start screwing them up yet. 4 companies for them to cheap down. Ranger, Triton and stratos I believe. Not sure who the 4th was....

but I just got a 2015 Triton and am thrilled with it.

Ranger does have a great hull design for sure and a great ride. I will take my hat off to the for one particular instance in particular. Back in 1989 a friend of mine tha loved to bass fish was wanting a new Bass boat and only had one not so small problem. He was fishing out of a Boston Whaler Center console because it was the only boat he could find that would float him and support his weight. At the time Travis was wanting a new boat he weighed 640 lbs. He called the Vision Boat Company and told them what he was looking for and they told him they could build it. That was till he walked through door of the plant to confirm his order. The boat deck designer for Vision had to refigure all of the support for the front deck. They told him they would build him a boat with a promise added to it that he would love it. Well Vision knew they did not make a hull design that would be stable with him moving around on it so they reached out to Ranger for help. Ranger sent to designers down to the Vision Plant and got all the specs of the completed deck. 2 Weeks later the hull was delivered to Vision for installation. It was a 19 foot boat with 175 Evinrude Fast Strike motor on it and was Maroon deck and a military grey hull and it rode like a Ranger on the water and was about as slow as one but it supported him and he and I fished out of it as partners off an on for about 7 years until he could find a dedicated partner that fished with him every time the boat went in the water.

Even with all the extra work that was required to build the boat and Ranger going out of their way to help the boat didn't cost him a dime more than a standard Vision would have cost. One thing we did notice soon after getting it and that was when he trimmed up the nose of the boat never lifted and it was a barge but we won and regular his partner won a lot of Tx's out of it till his health failed him in 2004 and he could no longer fish.

Edited by softbaitmaker

Doug, my buddy weighs about 540 and the ole Astro held him fine. Wasn't exactly a speed demon with him in it though. 

Just considering different options for next year once this other stuff is done and behind me. 

2 hours ago, NobbyNobbs said:

Don't think BPS has owned em long enough to start screwing them up yet. 4 companies for them to cheap down. Ranger, Triton and stratos I believe. Not sure who the 4th was....

but I just got a 2015 Triton and am thrilled with it.

They also had the Champion line for a short time . I'm sure J . Morris will not mess with the Ranger line of boats . 

I've  owned two.  Had 1994 ranger and sold it to my friend so I could buy a new 1999 518dvx, which I still have.  I am thinking o re powering as the boat is great.  I wouldn't go so far as to say ranger is better than other brands but I've been happy.

All boats are to expensive but it is what the market can stand I guess. I don't believe that anyone sets out to make a bad boat and they are plenty of good options out there. However with that said, I fished as a co angler  in the different FLW events for a couple of years  and rode in probably all of the different brands. Had previously owned Cajuns and Sprints but when I purchased a new boat it was a Ranger. Why? Because of the quality of ride and craftsmanship. Not because it was the fastest cause they are not.