Sign in to follow this  
BassinHomer

Wireless Trolling Motors

Hey ya'll, looking at a couple of different wireless trolling motors. The first is an off brand that seems to have some good reviews, the Haswing Cayman 55. Seems to have some good reviews. Only really saw one negative and that was someone complaining about the durability, claimed it was cheap. The other was a Motorguide w45. most of the complaints on that one were with the foot control loosing connection. Any feedback? Anyone heard anything about either one of these or had any experience with them? I only have a small 16ft Cajun, I don't really need anything over 50lb thrust and 12v system.

I would just stay with a standard cable operated motor. If motor guide can't get it right, noone can. 

Back in the early 90's I had a 12 volt Minnkota that was not wireless but all of the foot control was electronic and the main issue I had was turning because when I needed to turn a little fast it would only turn at the speed of the electric motor that turned the lower portion would turn. It is not something I would invest in again. Does not respond quick enough and I am going to assume the wireless also depends on electric motors to turn the motor in the direction you want to go. Cable driven units respond much faster and are more dependable for me.......JMHO 

Got friends that have wireless trollers.Claim it's great for pulling/pushing crappie baits. I would stay with Minn-Kota or Motor Guide, never know when ya need repairs and parts are available for those brands.

The cool features such as setting them to follow a course and remote control are cool, but that said, I'd never use one just for the fact I like to turn on a dime and want dependability. My .02

The Xi5 i had on the old boat worked great. It was very responsive and turned qiickly. They have come along ways since the previois generation of wireless motors. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NobbyNobbs said:

The Xi5 i had on the old boat worked great. It was very responsive and turned qiickly. They have come along ways since the previois generation of wireless motors. 

"They have come along ways since the previous generation of wireless motors". 

Yep, I'm sure they have since the first ones where pretty much junk so they had no where to go but up.......:cheers:  Just poking fun Nobby and I am sure there were a few good ones in 1st generation and they always improve with second try.

Well thanks guys. One of the primary reasons I wanted to go with electric was because my boat is so small. I don't know about newer trolling motors but most of the older cable driven ones I've had have had a certain stiffness to the cables and even though I have an extended casting deck I'd still have a limited area with which to work with the cables. The Haswing I'm looking at has a wired foot pedal but it is electric and so I assume would afford more movability. The GPS features are nice, admittedly, but none of the models I was looking at come equipped with that.

Edited by TheBassWhisperer

That is true. Electric will definitely be more flexible and lower profile. 

I use both quite a bit, it all depends on how you're going to fish.  If you're beating the banks primarily bass fishing stay with a cable steer, if you're going to use it to troll, use an electric.  I had a 14 footer for a long time with a cable steer and it doesn't take up much space when it is deployed.

• Like 1

I had an early motor guide wireless and it was a disaster. Had to get the gears rebuilt twice, the guy had a dozen of the gearboxes just like mine in his shop. Now I have a hand control 74 lb minn Kota riptide with a big foot on/off switch. I like it much better than wireless and cable steer foot pedal