Sign in to follow this  
Tubejig

Nitro Boat Question

I am thinking of getting a new or new to me boat for next year.  I looking at Nitro as the pricing is attractive. i understand bait and switch sales approach common to Nitro/Tracker. You see attractive pricing with underpowered packages. Sometimes the electronics are less than desirable. But I'm looking for input on the boat and trailer.

I know a couple guys that have them with no issues. Z8 and older.

I read reviews and there is a lot out there that is very negative. I would expect that some of that is reflective to the sheer numbers sold. 

Not trying to start a boat war but could use some input from folks who have experience with Nitro Quality and warranty/service.  Info on trailers too, please.

Ill speak to this since I went through the same thing you are going through.  I went to several manufacturers from Aluminum Tritons. Rangers, Crestliners to Fiberglass boats like Phoenix, Triton and Ranger and then Nitro searching for an 18.5 ft boat that was setup like I wanted.  I sold my boat in February/March and was ready to Order or buy a boat that was setup like I wanted. 

I've been in some older Nitros made back in the 90s and IMO these new boats they have are in another class than that of those old boats.  I fought with myself for a while trying to decide whether or not I was going through with the Order.  Was concerned mainly due to the history and reputation of yesteryear etc.......   

I ended up ordering a Z18 Built the way that I wanted with the options.  Not looking to build a speed demon, but rather looking to build a stable awesome fishing platform and I did just that.  My Z18 is setup with the 150 Optimax ProXS with a 8 inch slidemaster jackplate, 24P Fury Prop, Hotfoot, remote oil fill, and on wheel trim.  Thats the only options from the Factory I went with.  I ended up going with Garmin Electronics that are networked, not a fan of touchscreen crap so I went with the 93sv EchoMap Chirp in front and the 73sv EchoMap Chirp in the front.  Nitro was the only Manufacturer that was able to get me into the boat the way I wanted it done and in the price range that I wanted to spend.  

So far the boat has been awesome, but I have only had it about 2-3 months.  Even though the boat is rated for a 175, I have the 150 and have seen around 64.5 MPH out of it with half tank of fuel and my little cousin in the boat with me.  It rides awesome once I learned to drive the thing :)  

YES do not pay attention to the "sales lures" they have on their boats its all relative to your credit score, how long of a term you want and options that you want on your boat etc.

I have not had to use service yet, but White Pine seemed good about service and the service manager at the BPS at Kodak seemed knowledgeable as well.

Well I hope you enjoy your new boat for a long time. I also like Garmin and have 7 in screens.  

Tell me more about learning to drive it. I've had Ranger for the past 20 years. Slower hulls but no real learning curve involved.

Not concerned about credit scores but am concerned about price. Will likely go the website and build one and shop around.  I don't know but have been told that if you shop a couple dealers that trade-in values might differ.

Thanks for replying

2 minutes ago, Tubejig said:

Well I hope you enjoy your new boat for a long time. I also like Garmin and have 7 in screens.  

Tell me more about learning to drive it. I've had Ranger for the past 20 years. Slower hulls but no real learning curve involved.

Not concerned about credit scores but am concerned about price. Will likely go the website and build one and shop around.  I don't know but have been told that if you shop a couple dealers that trade-in values might differ.

Thanks for replying

My learning to drive it comes from coming from a 16.5ft G3 with a 50HP motor.  Not a Pad hull.....    this thing drives completely different, so the learning curve was there for me.

Gotcha, there's a lot of difference!

I'd like to ask about dealers but I don't want to bash anyone publicly.

Can you call me when ya get a minute.  Rick 606-434-9146.  I live in "metropolitan ' White Pine--maybe we could go fishing sometime

When I look at buying a new anything, I look at the other end.  In other words one day I'm going to sell it or trade it.  With that said the only new things I have ever bought was Toyota and GMC trucks, and Honda and KTM motorcycles.  I have yet to ever buy a brand spanking new boat, but I plan to do so this fall.  From what I'm seeing in the 18.5 class is they base prices only vary 5 to 6 grand.  When making a 35 to 40k purchase I'd get the one that best suits me.  I leaning hard towards the 518 Ranger or a Bass Cat cougar.  Jmo.  But look at resale value as well because it may not be the last boat you ever buy.  P.s. I'm not downing Nitro.  They build a boat that fishes good.  I ruled them out because I'm wanting a G2 etec, and you won't find anything but mercury on a Nitro.

I bought my Tracker PT175 TXW from Bass Pro in Memphis last year. I was comparing models and the Bass Pro in Nashville was awful to deal with. They wanted me to drop $200 to reserve a boat before they would even talk numbers to me. The guys at the Memphis BP were much more helpful and personable and since they have two BPs within 12 miles seem to try to out perform the other.

As far as the Tracker boat goes and being underpowered.... It is. I could have gotten mine with a 75 hp, but I chose the cheaper option with the 60 hp and I regret it. The boat fishes fine, I like some of the pros the aluminum boat has over the fiberglass. I can get into shallower water, on the TVA lakes with lots of debris coming down stream that aluminum hull works like armor. I've hit things I know would have punctured my old fiberglass boat (not intentionally) and just gotten a few scratches. The downside is the speed sucks due to the underpowered engine 38 mph top speed, and loading it can be a pain, you have to have the trailer backed much further into the water than with most other boats. If you get it too far in then it doesn't align right on the trailer. I wish I had gotten the 75. Other than that no real complaints. I am probably going to trade it in on the Tracker 195 TXW within a couple of years.

Just do you research before you grab one. I acted a little hastily when I bought mine. My old boat was 30 years old and the monthly maintenance was outrageous with something constantly breaking on it. The Tracker got me back on the water with a monthly payment lower than maintaining the old boat. Not a terrible thing, I just wish I hadn't been such a cheap butt last year.

Also go through your own bank for the financing if that it the route you choose. Tracker/Nitro will offer you some loans from banks through them, they are outrageous. I have a great credit score, I showed their deals to my bank manager and we both laughed.

I've fished out of a couple of Nitros.  Not 18'ers but Nitros nonetheless.  I was impressed w/ the layout of the storage compartments and deck.  The ride wasn't quite as smooth as other boats (I drive a Triton) in ruff water.

Which ever model you get, I strongly recommend you go with the max motor the transom is rated for.  Overall performance and economy will be much improved.

I have fished out of 2 Nitros. My very first tournament win came out of either 17.5 or 18 (can't remember) with a 150. Small but back then I didn't care. I just got into bass fishing and I was thankful to be on the pond. 

Last month I fished the SoHo tournament with Wes out of his Z18 and was quite impressed with it. For an 18ft rig it was roomy. 

Me personally I'm a 20-21ft guy. I have no issues with a nitro and would look heavy into it if the price is right. Anymore with any brand it's all in price. Gotta get more bang for your buck!

I've fished from a few bigger Nitro boats. I wasn't too impressed with the ride but they fished great. The ride wasn't awful... just not as smooth as my boat. I wouldn't hesitate buying one but I'd buy a 1 or 2 year old boat with warranty.