Sign in to follow this  
82nd4Life

Ready to go again

After almost missing the weight in Saturday night, and having to have a fellow competitor come get Jamie and our fish, because my boat spun the prop hub.  My jack plate had been set to high.  I was blowing out before I got trimmed out.  So Saturday morning I lowered the jack plate an 1" 1/2.  On blast off I couldn't open it up because we'll if you were there, you know.  So with 45 minutes to go we were going to hit one more spot.  I usually don't run hard after dark but I just had to know if it made a difference.......so I planked it!  Bow was lifted high, boat was up high on pad, and the numbers on the GPS were climbing, but it was short lived.  The Johnson now that it was hooked up it spun the guts out of the turbo prop.  After much search I found an original Raker.  I went and picked it up this evening.  So now let's find the next weakest link.:D

Jamie I'm down for any lake I can't see the fish on the bottom.  Lol.  

Steve fishing with me is an adventure.  

let us know how it runs out.  hopefully that will fix it right up.  Dude I ran down the lake from dang near Indian Creek the other night wide open with 15 min to go to get you guys!  LOLOLOL  puckering moment for sure cause I never go over 30 at night and when I went under the bridge i looked down and was hitting 61 not good......I dont like it.

I know what you mean.  I run 34 to 40 after dark because slower than that it porpoises.  But I hammered on it to see if it would still blow out and funny 61 is when the hub started slipping.  

I appreciate you running down to get the fish.  

56-57-58-59-60-61-----6500 on the tac lmao.  At least she did sling a rod because I over reved the heck out of it.

42 minutes ago, 82nd4Life said:

56-57-58-59-60-61-----6500 on the tac lmao.  At least she did sling a rod because I over reved the heck out of it.

yea but at least it was a Evinrude/Johnson motor right????  Those things can take it "most" of the time.  

1 hour ago, whj812 said:

Dude I ran down the lake from dang near Indian Creek the other night wide open with 15 min to go to get you guys!  LOLOLOL  puckering moment for sure cause I never go over 30 at night and when I went under the bridge i looked down and was hitting 61 not good......I dont like it.

Idgit

1 minute ago, SilverFox said:

Idgit

hey I was careful.....  I dont like it but when they called me to come help I had no time.  Had to go.....

61 at night is not being careful! LOL

I've had 2 close calls on Douglas recently. One was a 20 something foot pontoon someone was using as a dock. It had no reflectors and was broken loose floating in the middle of the channel. The other was a 14 foot Jon boat running the channel with no lights at all.

But hey... you're a grown man, do as you please. I've learned in my 20 years of Fire/EMS that you can only warn people, not do it for them.

1 minute ago, SilverFox said:

61 at night is not being careful! LOL

I've had 2 close calls on Douglas recently. One was a 20 something foot pontoon someone was using as a dock. It had no reflectors and was broken loose floating in the middle of the channel. The other was a 14 foot Jon boat running the channel with no lights at all.

But hey... you're a grown man, do as you please. I've learned in my 20 years of Fire/EMS that you can only warn people, not do it for them.

I know thats why Im normally 30 and under at night.  THAT was the ONLY time Ive ever done anything like that and was on edge beyond imaginable.  Light shining every 2 seconds just to make sure.  Luckily it was only for 2 - 3 minutes....... any longer than that I would have had to change my shorts... :)

12 minutes ago, 82nd4Life said:

At least he wasn't drunk, which him way safer than everyone we encountered before dark. Lol

OMG those idiots were getting ready to eat my football jig....   We went up in Muddy creek and I marked some fish out deep and started slinging at them after dropping my buoy marker to mark the high spot..  3 jetskis and a dang wakeboard boat split me and the marker, I stood there with my hands up in the air like WTF???  I know Im 300yards from shore but dang dude you just ran over a 10 ft deep point and dang near took out my marker.  We picked up from there and ran for shore and beat the banks in the pockets the rest of the evening.  Had literally a 3 ft wake crash on us from that boat......  luckily it didnt come over too much just filled the back splash area up pretty good.

Edited by whj812

Dennis and I were sitting at Shady Grove one night bank fishing off the point. My back was bothering me and I sat down in the truck which was maybe 5 foot from the water on the point. Dennis was standing in front of the truck and to the left a few foot. I saw a boat make a couple of quick turns about 200 yards off the bank and head directly towards the point we were sitting on. He was coming at a pretty good clip, faster than he should have entered the cove beside us. As he progressed towards us he turned directly at us and never slowed. Lucky for him I was sitting in the truck and was able to flash my headlights at him right before he would have been on top of us. He jumped out of the gas and turned the boat. The lift of the water picked up the boat and when it settled, his boat was hitting the ground. His entire boat was maybe 3 foot off the bank. He yelled "thanks" and hammered back down. Looked like 3 20ish year old kids in some kind of ski boat. 

4 minutes ago, SilverFox said:

Dennis and I were sitting at Shady Grove one night bank fishing off the point. My back was bothering me and I sat down in the truck which was maybe 5 foot from the water on the point. Dennis was standing in front of the truck and to the left a few foot. I saw a boat make a couple of quick turns about 200 yards off the bank and head directly towards the point we were sitting on. He was coming at a pretty good clip, faster than he should have entered the cove beside us. As he progressed towards us he turned directly at us and never slowed. Lucky for him I was sitting in the truck and was able to flash my headlights at him right before he would have been on top of us. He jumped out of the gas and turned the boat. The lift of the water picked up the boat and when it settled, his boat was hitting the ground. His entire boat was maybe 3 foot off the bank. He yelled "thanks" and hammered back down. Looked like 3 20ish year old kids in some kind of ski boat. 

Ive had 2 close calls at night one was this year on Norris with LB, and these idiots took off in a Pontoon out of Lakeview rolling wide open right at us.  The other time happened several years ago when me and my wife were fishing down in Davis creek on the powell side,  These idiots in a wakeboard boat almost ran over top of us anchored up crappie fishing under lights.  We were lit up under water above water and all around I ended up Luckly getting their attention with a Qbeam to the face of the driver.  

Just now, Jamie De Vera said:

:lol:..

Seriously thanks for helping us out. 

I wished we had time to tow yall in... but time was ticking away quick.

Hey when I took that prop off, the rubber hub had melted and oozed out around the thrust washer, and the prop had blued where it got so hot from slipping.  Maybe 2 miles was to far to limp a slipped hub.  Lol.

1 minute ago, 82nd4Life said:

Hey when I took that prop off, the rubber hub had melted and oozed out around the thrust washer, and the prop had blued where it got so hot from slipping.  Maybe 2 miles was to far to limp a slipped hub.  Lol.

Get her back together?

If you have to have prop work, check out east tn propellers in Knoxville. I took mine by a while back to have the hub pressed in a little. Super nice guy owns it. He pushed it in around 3/4" and wouldn't take any money. Said I'd need work sometime in the future and just remember him when I did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SilverFox said:

If you have to have prop work, check out east tn propellers in Knoxville. I took mine by a while back to have the hub pressed in a little. Super nice guy owns it. He pushed it in around 3/4" and wouldn't take any money. Said I'd need work sometime in the future and just remember him when I did.

+100!!!  Great people!  Great work too!

Whj I bought a Raker yesterday and got it on.  The boat is plugged into the wall now and I'm taking the kids after work.

I had different experience with east tn propeller.  The first time I had him order me a thrust washer he told me it would be there Monday.  So I left work and went to get it and he never even ordered it.  The last time I dealed with him I called about a prop, he said he had it and priced it to me.  So I left work and went down there it was a reconditioned prop that was priced like a new one and I'd had to buy a hub kit which he didn't mention on the phone. 

So from now on I'll just use the shop I used in North Carolina.  And it may be me, I maybe the A hole, I've been told that before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 82nd4Life said:

I maybe the A hole, I've been told that before.

LOLOL!!! Airborne thats why :)  Jk! 

2 minutes ago, 82nd4Life said:

Legs have called me that before.  Lmao.  Your just jealous of my red hat.  Lol

I was pissed when they made us put the PCs down and put the dang black berets on.....