Sign in to follow this  
BassinHomer

Depth Finders, how much do you use yours?

I really need to hone my off shore fishing and I was wondering how much you all depend on your electronics when locating fish. I mean if your fishing offshore do you only fish areas that show fish on your sounder, or do you just fish likely areas? Do you use marker buoys or strictly bow mount sonar? Inquiring meds want to know.:popcorn:

I'm no expert, but electronics all the way. They don't lie. If you see fish, cast to them. If you don't see fish, then don't cast. With that said..... you have to know what fish look like, when they are on the ledges.

Yes use marker buoys. 

If at all possible, pay a guide for a day of electronics training. Split the cost with a friend. It would be the best 300 dollars that you will ever spend ( 150 if you split ).

Just my 2 cents.

I tend to think you use em for both. Most times you'll get good arches, but sometimes the little devils are buried in some junk, in which case you use electronics for structure and cover. That said, 90% of my fishing is in the shallows so take my info with a good pinch of salt. 

Now that I've had the chance to have a lowrance rep show me what I'm looking for and looking at, I now rely heavily on mine.  Back in the early spring when vertical jigging was the only way to get a bit on Cherokee, I never took my eyes off mine.  Prespawn on Douglas when the big females were put their feed bags on.  I idled around until I found feeding on shad, not just shad schools but active feeding.  Sometimes those cruisers will just hang with the shad, you can cast at them all morning and they'll never hit.  So yes I use mine a lot, even flipping docks,  with side scan I already know what's under there.

I use them ALL the time!  Fishing a deep clear lake you have to be able to locate both fish and structure using electronics or else you could be just fishing dead water.  Ive always used Humminbird units until the new boat where I chose to use Garmin units after seeing them used online, and getting my hands on them at the store.  

Electronics can be the difference between catching fish and not in my opinion and just as important as the Rods and Tackle you use.

• Like 1